Dutch Muslims & Jews united together

Started by viper37, June 16, 2011, 03:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Siege on June 19, 2011, 05:38:47 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 19, 2011, 03:09:05 AM
Quote from: Siege on June 19, 2011, 01:12:50 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 18, 2011, 10:36:33 PM
You at the office on the Sabbath?  tsk tsk.

I am the only jew in Languish that observe shabbat.
You should know that.

What about on deployment? Are you allowed to kill Arabs on Shabbat?

Of course. War ain't violation of Shabbat.

But making a phonecall is? WTF?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Weijun

Quote from: LaCroix on June 20, 2011, 02:46:12 AM
Quote from: WeijunWhy should the law treat animals as anything other than chattel property?

http://www.grandin.com/welfare/animals.are.not.things.html
Animals feel pain: so what?  That does not make them moral agents, unless you make assumptions about morality that only a religious system can provide.  I don't care if it is Catholicism, Marxism, or Environmentalism, these are all religious groups trying to impose their values on society.

Yes, there are animal welfare laws.  However, they are no less religious in intent than sodomy laws or a myriad of assorted blue laws.

The Brain

You could describe all preferences as being religious, but it changes the meaning of the word and more importantly it doesn't say anything.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Weijun

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2011, 03:49:40 AM
You could describe all preferences as being religious, but it changes the meaning of the word and more importantly it doesn't say anything.
Both Marxism and Environmentalism offer complete moral and ritual systems (including holidays!), so there is a strong case that they should be considered secular religions.  Calling Marxism a "preference" radically understates how much of a way of life it is.

Nevertheless, for the sake of argument, call it all "irrational preferences."  Why should one group of people be allowed foist their irrational preferences on everyone through laws that flagrantly violate people's property rights?  How is animal rights legislation different in kind from the Buggery Act of 1533?

Razgovory

I still want to know if fishing is inhumane.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Weijun on June 20, 2011, 04:03:21 AM
Both Marxism and Environmentalism offer complete moral and ritual systems (including holidays!), so there is a strong case that they should be considered secular religions.  Calling Marxism a "preference" radically understates how much of a way of life it is.

Nevertheless, for the sake of argument, call it all "irrational preferences."  Why should one group of people be allowed foist their irrational preferences on everyone through laws that flagrantly violate people's property rights?  How is animal rights legislation different in kind from the Buggery Act of 1533?

Do you consider your preference regarding property rights irrational?

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2011, 04:15:38 AM

Causing harm isn't inhumane, causing unnecessary harm is inhumane.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

I'm now in Amsterdam. Should I participate in: pogrom?

Weijun

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2011, 04:25:54 AM

Property rights are irrational only insofar as liberty is irrational.

Martinus

Who the fuck is that cretin? Another Dorsey's sock puppet?

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on June 20, 2011, 04:40:24 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2011, 04:15:38 AM

Causing harm isn't inhumane, causing unnecessary harm is inhumane.

I'm causing harm unnecessarily when fishing.  If I want to eat a fish, I can easily buy one (no idea if they are stunned before they are butchered.  Probably not), but instead I do it an extremely inefficiently way by using a hook and bait.  Sometimes, I use a bait fish.  I do this all for my own enjoyment.  Most of the time, after I catch a fish I let it go.  Catch and release.  Now, I ask you, is this inhumane?

Do you ever go fishing?

A source you used earlier, the RSPCA is interested in pain caused to fish, at least according to this Times article.  http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1045717.ece
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Brain

Quote from: Weijun on June 20, 2011, 05:00:30 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2011, 04:25:54 AM

Property rights are irrational only insofar as liberty is irrational.

I didn't ask about property rights though. My impression is that you prefer fairly absolute property rights, but since property rights are some of the most limited rights in western countries (for instance the state takes a big bite out of my property every year which means I cannot do with it as I please) you come across as a bit of a kook.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2011, 05:27:06 AM
I'm causing harm unnecessarily when fishing.  If I want to eat a fish, I can easily buy one (no idea if they are stunned before they are butchered.  Probably not), but instead I do it an extremely inefficiently way by using a hook and bait.  Sometimes, I use a bait fish.  I do this all for my own enjoyment.  Most of the time, after I catch a fish I let it go.  Catch and release.  Now, I ask you, is this inhumane?

Do you ever go fishing?

A source you used earlier, the RSPCA is interested in pain caused to fish, at least according to this Times article.  http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1045717.ece

You don't know much about icelanders do you?

Killing and causing pain is not the issue for me, it's the unnecessary inflicting of pain. The animal is entitled to be treated in such a manner that it's death is as painless and quick as possible.

Razgovory

You still didn't answer my question.  I am inflicting unnecessary pain in my stone age fishing methods and largely for my desire for entertainment.  Are my actions as described in my previous post acceptable?

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2011, 05:41:50 AM
You still didn't answer my question.  I am inflicting unnecessary pain in my stone age fishing methods and largely for my desire for entertainment.  Are my actions as described in my previous post acceptable?

If you do it for the purpose of harming the fish then I think it is unacceptable.