The dark side of K-pop

Started by The Larch, June 15, 2011, 03:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

I enjoyed that, thank you  :licklips:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

Don't get me wrong, of course. I find it reprehensible- Korea is PIG DISGUSTING and overt, while Japan is adorable and subtextual. Korea's videos feel like they could have come from yankeeland.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Grey Fox

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 15, 2011, 07:03:18 AM
Don't get me wrong, of course. I find it reprehensible- Korea is PIG DISGUSTING and overt, while Japan is adorable and subtextual. Korea's videos feel like they could have come from yankeeland.

What is the adorable subtext to being raped by a squid?

The funny thing is that the Japanese used to be called the Yankees of the East.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

QuoteK-Pop is a massive industry: global sales were worth over $30m (£18m) in 2009,

Wow. $30 million. Globally. That sure is massive.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2011, 04:29:00 AM
Surprising. This is not the 1980s. This is the age of youtube and iTunes (and I know of artists who succesfully promote their own albums on both and earn cash in the process). It's surprising big media corporations would have so much power. Maybe Koreans just like to be slaves?
Remember that most of the people that are in these contracts are untalented.  If they didn't have the company, they'd have a nametag and hairnet job.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on June 15, 2011, 07:24:50 AM
QuoteK-Pop is a massive industry: global sales were worth over $30m (£18m) in 2009,

No kidding.  That's barely more than a million CDs.  Then again, the article said that they had cut the price of digital music down to pennies for a song, so that could actually be a fair amount of music.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2011, 07:24:55 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2011, 04:29:00 AM
Surprising. This is not the 1980s. This is the age of youtube and iTunes (and I know of artists who succesfully promote their own albums on both and earn cash in the process). It's surprising big media corporations would have so much power. Maybe Koreans just like to be slaves?
Remember that most of the people that are in these contracts are untalented.  If they didn't have the company, they'd have a nametag and hairnet job.

:yes:

jimmy olsen

I have to believe that's a typo/mistake.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

K-Pop is a massive industry: global sales were worth over $30m (£18m) in 2009, and that figure is likely to have doubled last year, according to a government website.

That doesn't sound so massive.

edit: oh berk made that comment. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2011, 07:26:49 AM

No kidding.  That's barely more than a million CDs.  Then again, the article said that they had cut the price of digital music down to pennies for a song, so that could actually be a fair amount of music.

Their problem seems to be to poor of a return on investments. Maybe cut some expenses, like start with people who can already dance or sing.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 15, 2011, 07:43:17 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2011, 07:26:49 AM
Their problem seems to be to poor of a return on investments. Maybe cut some expenses, like start with people who can already dance or sing.
But then they won't be as pretty, which damages your spin-offs into movies and advertising.  That might not be important with your average flash-in-the-pan group, but when you get a huge success like this Rain guy, he pays for everything.

And besides, this stuff happens here, too.  How much do you think they had to put into that Kesha girl before she got to the level of shittiness that she's at today?

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2011, 07:39:51 AM

I have to believe that's a typo/mistake.

If so, they made it twice (once in dollars and once in pounds).  I bet the foot fetish industry makes more money then that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017