Jackie Chan suffers head injury on the set

Started by DGuller, April 18, 2009, 03:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

QuoteJackie Chan: Chinese people need to be controlled
By WILLIAM FOREMAN, Associated Press Writer William Foreman, Associated Press Writer 1 hr 10 mins ago

BOAO, China – Action star Jackie Chan said Saturday he's not sure if a free society is a good thing for China and that he's starting to think "we Chinese need to be controlled."

Chan's comments drew applause from a predominantly Chinese audience of business leaders in China's southern island province of Hainan.

The 55-year-old Hong Kong actor was participating in a panel at the annual Boao Forum when he was asked to discuss censorship and restrictions on filmmakers in China. He expanded his comments to include society.

"I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not," Chan said. "I'm really confused now. If you're too free, you're like the way Hong Kong is now. It's very chaotic. Taiwan is also chaotic."

Chan added: "I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."

The kung fu star has not been a vocal supporter of the pro-democracy movement in his hometown of Hong Kong. Since the former British colony returned to Chinese rule in 1997, voters have not been allowed to directly elect their leader. Several massive street protests have been held to demand full democracy, but Beijing has repeatedly said Hong Kong isn't ready for it.

The theme at Saturday's panel discussion was "Tapping into Asia's Creative Industry Potential," and Chan had several opinions about innovation in China.

He said that early in his career, he lived in the shadow of the late martial arts star Bruce Lee. He said that during his first foray into Hollywood, he struggled to establish his own identity, so he returned to Hong Kong. After spending 15 years building his reputation in Asia, Chan finally got rediscovered by Hollywood, he said.

Chan said the problem with Chinese youth is that "they like other people's things. They don't like their own things." Young people need to spend more time developing their own style, he added.

The action hero complained that Chinese goods still have too many quality problems. He became emotional when discussing contaminated milk powder that sickened tens of thousands of Chinese babies in the past year.

Speaking fast with his voice rising, Chan said, "If I need to buy a TV, I'll definitely buy a Japanese TV. A Chinese TV might explode."
God, people like that make me want to puke my guts out.  Serf mentality is a powerful thing.

Queequeg

Somewhat understandable.  Mainland China has never known Democracy, and combine that with the excesses of the Maoist period (which some Chinese would ascribe to an excess of popular enthusiasm for government) and the icky breakup of the USSR and you have a recipe for popular authoritarianism.   
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

False advertising, I thought he finally crippled/killed himself doing one of his crazy stunts.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

If we let them do what they want they poison babies milk and make lead toys. maybe He's got a point :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Some cultures are more disposed to autocracy than democracy.

Please see: Russians, Arabs, Monoriu

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 18, 2009, 03:09:59 PM
False advertising, I thought he finally crippled/killed himself doing one of his crazy stunts.
That's what I though myself after reading that article.

alfred russel

It makes more sense than most of his movies.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Siege

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2009, 03:16:18 PM

Indeed. People calling for freedom in authoritary societies forget that in those societies, whoever believe in their flavor of autocracy, is perfectly "free". Back in the Soviet Union, russians that believed in comunism were perfectly "free" and happy. They had what they wanted, and didn't want at all the freedoms we enjoy in the West.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of chinese are perfectly happy with their regime, the same way that most mormons would be happy with a "Mormon Republic of Utah".

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

As a Russian, DG don't you also wish for the soft caress of the whip and the loving embrace of chains?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Did I just use the word "perfectly" three times in the same post?

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on April 18, 2009, 10:57:23 PM

Indeed. People calling for freedom in authoritary societies forget that in those societies, whoever believe in their flavor of autocracy, is perfectly "free". Back in the Soviet Union, russians that believed in comunism were perfectly "free" and happy. They had what they wanted, and didn't want at all the freedoms we enjoy in the West.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of chinese are perfectly happy with their regime, the same way that most mormons would be happy with a "Mormon Republic of Utah".

Clearly not all Russians wanted that since the Soviet Union did collapse.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2009, 10:59:17 PM

Not because the russians rebelled though.

Josquius

The Chinese are worrying.
Sure they're under faux-communist totalitarianism kinda stuff now but...
they're so alien its hard to know if they think the way we do about this being bad....
Fingers crossed I suppose....
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

Quote from: Siege on April 18, 2009, 11:00:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2009, 10:59:17 PM

Not because the russians rebelled though.

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

10 years ago then Swedish PM Göran Persson praised the "stability" of China. Him and Jackie should date.

Of course my personal opinion is that Chinese democracy should indeed be pretty low on our list of priorities. Even though I think China maybe could handle a switch to freedom the cost of failure would be enormous.

Also, fuck Axl Pose and his irrelevant music.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.