Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Tamas on October 02, 2011, 09:49:47 AM
Quote from: Slargos on October 02, 2011, 09:00:58 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 02, 2011, 08:52:57 AM
Quote from: Slargos on October 02, 2011, 08:22:55 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on October 02, 2011, 08:20:14 AM
The Soviet long 57mm has much, much better accuracy than the KVs trollcannon. Get behind and obstacle or a slope and the chances of him hitting you at long ranges are not that good.
Then tell me. Have you ever successfully soloed a KV in a T-34?

I have. The KV is an easy solo for a medium. It is funny watching that turret try to get around on you while you run around in circles.
If you can circle him long enough to kill him with that peashooter, you're either extremely good or he's a fucking moron.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Yes, a KV should never ever let a medium close, but sometimes it happens. Like your teammates leave you alone and you are zerged. Or you miss that single shot you sometimes have before a medium closes in on you.
Now, if the opposing player knows how to medium-pwn a KV (which Berkut knows, and you don't) he will stick as close to the KV as possible and circle him endlessly. Especially with the KV2 turret, the biggie has NO CHANCE to get a shot unless the medium makes a mistake or does an incredibly predictable route with no regards of where the KV turret is turning.
Ramming with the KV is of course an option but it is so slow that's hardly an option.

So, once the distance is closed and the KV is alone, the match-up is for the medium to lose.
:lmfao: :hug:

Iormlund

Quote from: Tamas on October 02, 2011, 09:51:37 AM
I think the best you can do is sticking with the primes of your team and supporting them. That few percents you can ding off may mean life or death for them, and as such, victory or defeat for your team. If you were active and you won the match, you will get decent XP, even if you were not much of an individual contributor.

That's what I do. It's still terribly frustrating. That is, when I actually have a gun that can penetrate them like the long 57mm or the L70 -- or a howitzer -- and nobody happens to sneeze my way.

Iormlund

Damn. Trollcannon rounds are not cheap.

Slargos

I have been circle-murdered once by a T-34 in the KV. It was in one of those open maps where I found myself without cover and without the ability to outmaneuver him.
Why'd I get killed?
Because he had 4-5 buddies pelting me while he was strafing me. The T-34 didn't kill me, the StugIII out of sight did.
I still maintain that you'd have to be unlucky or worthless to allow a single T-34 without backup kill you in a KV.
Zerg by 2-4 T-34s? Perhaps. One? Not a chance.

Iormlund

You're wrong. The T-34 can penetrate the KV point blank with ease. Hell PzIII and T-28 can. And they are faster, too.

As long as you don't have backup or a wall nearby you're toast.

Slargos

Quote from: Iormlund on October 02, 2011, 12:40:06 PM
You're wrong. The T-34 can penetrate the KV point blank with ease. Hell PzIII and T-28 can. And they are faster, too.

Yes, but it takes what.. 8-10 shots to kill it? Like I said, unlucky or rather careless enough to be caught in the open without a wall to keep the T-34 from circling and sure the T-34 can theoretically win. I've never had that happen in the KV because I am not a blithering idiot.

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on October 02, 2011, 09:00:58 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 02, 2011, 08:52:57 AM
Quote from: Slargos on October 02, 2011, 08:22:55 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on October 02, 2011, 08:20:14 AM
The Soviet long 57mm has much, much better accuracy than the KVs trollcannon. Get behind and obstacle or a slope and the chances of him hitting you at long ranges are not that good.
Then tell me. Have you ever successfully soloed a KV in a T-34?

I have. The KV is an easy solo for a medium. It is funny watching that turret try to get around on you while you run around in circles.
If you can circle him long enough to kill him with that peashooter, you're either extremely good or he's a fucking moron.

A KV has 600 HP. It doesn't take that long.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on October 02, 2011, 01:21:14 PM

Yes, but it takes what.. 8-10 shots to kill it? Like I said, unlucky or rather careless enough to be caught in the open without a wall to keep the T-34 from circling and sure the T-34 can theoretically win. I've never had that happen in the KV because I am not a blithering idiot.

Meh, 8-10 shots? I dunno how many it takes, but certainly not that many.

Pretty easy to track the KV as well.

The T-34 with the 57mm is a great little vehicle.

The T-34/85 eats KVs for lunch.

edit: 57mm averages about 85 damage. KV has 660 HPs. So that means it needs ~8 penetrating shots to kill, and it fires 28 rounds/minute or so. So you are looking at a reasonable case of a T-34 killing a KV in less than 20 seconds.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Iormlund on October 02, 2011, 10:09:18 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 02, 2011, 09:51:37 AM
I think the best you can do is sticking with the primes of your team and supporting them. That few percents you can ding off may mean life or death for them, and as such, victory or defeat for your team. If you were active and you won the match, you will get decent XP, even if you were not much of an individual contributor.

That's what I do. It's still terribly frustrating. That is, when I actually have a gun that can penetrate them like the long 57mm or the L70 -- or a howitzer -- and nobody happens to sneeze my way.

Well, it certainly can be frustrating. But matches are fast enough that it is easy to just shrug it off and go onto the next match.

I would hate to see the matchmaker take 90 seconds to try to come up with "optimal matches". I think the variablity is fun.

And hell, even when you get a "good" matchup, where you are top tier, you know what happens anyway? At least, what happens to me?

My IS-3 blunders into both of their KV-5s and I die in the first 40 seconds anyway.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

When I am top tier, I play it safe and get Top Gun. :smarty:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Iormlund

Quote from: Berkut on October 02, 2011, 06:15:11 PM
I would hate to see the matchmaker take 90 seconds to try to come up with "optimal matches".

I doubt it needs to, at least in peak hours. There were something like 10k players online when I looked a couple days ago. And you could easily make it to "jump" tiers if necessary after a few seconds. You could even set that time as an option configurable by each player -- or even tank.

Berkut

Quote from: Iormlund on October 02, 2011, 07:50:58 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 02, 2011, 06:15:11 PM
I would hate to see the matchmaker take 90 seconds to try to come up with "optimal matches".

I doubt it needs to, at least in peak hours. There were something like 10k players online when I looked a couple days ago. And you could easily make it to "jump" tiers if necessary after a few seconds. You could even set that time as an option configurable by each player -- or even tank.

No, I don't think letting the players adjust the criteria for the matchmaker is a good idea at all. That sounds like an incredibly bad idea in fact.

And 10k players online does not mean 10k players available to make matches with. Most of them are in matches, or not q'ed. And for those who are q'ed, your matchmaker needs to make even matches for all those q'ed, not just some of them. So you cannot take 30 "good" matched players and leave the rest, since that means it will be harder to make "good" matches for those remaining, you have to come up with something that works for all of them, fast, and with a quickly changing queue.

I think the matchmaker does a pretty good job myself. It would do even better if you got rid of all the wallet warriors.

0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on October 02, 2011, 06:13:14 PM
Quote from: Slargos on October 02, 2011, 01:21:14 PM

Meh, 8-10 shots? I dunno how many it takes, but certainly not that many.

Pretty easy to track the KV as well.

The T-34 with the 57mm is a great little vehicle.

The T-34/85 eats KVs for lunch.

edit: 57mm averages about 85 damage. KV has 660 HPs. So that means it needs ~8 penetrating shots to kill, and it fires 28 rounds/minute or so. So you are looking at a reasonable case of a T-34 killing a KV in less than 20 seconds.

Assuming every shot penetrates. Assuming every shot does maximum damage. Assuming every shot hits where it does damage to the tank rather than a module. Assuming the KV is alone. Assuming the KV is in the open.

A lot of assumptions. I still haven't seen it done in the game.

Shade

Slargos

Quote from: Shade on October 03, 2011, 06:30:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvHu3SxswWk&feature=related  Here this may help sorry I do not know how to embed

I never said it was impossible, only that it requires a set of very specific circumstances, of which number a skilled T-34 driver and either another distracting tank OR an unskilled KV driver.