I think it's cute how Slargos takes this game so serious and personal.  :lol:

Yes. I am 100% serious.  :D

Syt

Quote from: Slargos on July 25, 2011, 12:12:07 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 25, 2011, 12:03:29 PM
I think it's cute how Slargos takes this game so serious and personal.  :lol:

Yes. I am 100% serious.  :D

Of course you are. :shifty:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Hmmm.

The cost of the 122mm shells is making me re-consider the switch to that gun.

The 100mm gun has the same penetration, less damage of course (230 compared to 390), fires nearly twice as fast, and costs 1/4 what the 122 ammo costs. Of course, presumably you have to fire twice as much of it to get the same damage.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Does it really have the same penetration?  My recollection is that it doesn't.  Penetration is really one value I absolutely hate compromising on (unless I'm using a derp gun, obviously), because a few mm can mean the difference between a pointless bounce and a devastating hit.

Berkut

Yeah, they both have an average pen of 175.

The 100mm actually has a little better accuracy and aiming time as well.

The big negative though is that in many matches getting a kill on the NEXT SHOT can be the difference between winning and losing. And when it comes down to peaking around a corner to pick someone off...well, that 390 damage is pretty useful.

0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on July 25, 2011, 01:51:13 PM
Hmmm.

The cost of the 122mm shells is making me re-consider the switch to that gun.

The 100mm gun has the same penetration, less damage of course (230 compared to 390), fires nearly twice as fast, and costs 1/4 what the 122 ammo costs. Of course, presumably you have to fire twice as much of it to get the same damage.

Depends on what role you think you'll play. I struggled with the same question with the JagdPanther where the shells for the 10.5 are 5 times as expensive as for the 88, but after having started using the 10.5 I came to the conclusion that I'm far more effective with the heavier gun. As in more XP, although of course a slower credit income.

In the Tiger II I'm currently going in a different direction since I'm doing far more CQB but I'm leaning towards switching to the 10.5 there aswell since it's vastly preferable to do as much damage as possible when you do poke your head out. The higher your rate of fire, the more time you'll spend exposed to return fire.

If you're going to face a lot of lighter tanks the higher ROF is obviously preferable, and if you're going to spend a lot of time firing from a position where you'll see no return fire at all (IE a completely concealed TD, for instance) it may also be useful to fire more often. This also goes for fighting in the open.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on July 25, 2011, 02:00:02 PM
Yeah, they both have an average pen of 175.

The 100mm actually has a little better accuracy and aiming time as well.

The big negative though is that in many matches getting a kill on the NEXT SHOT can be the difference between winning and losing. And when it comes down to peaking around a corner to pick someone off...well, that 390 damage is pretty useful.
Ok, I remember now why I stuck with 122mm.  It's true that their penetration is the same, but 122mm deals almost twice the damage, at the cost of firing almost half as quickly. 

The amount of damage you can deal per minute is about the same, but I'd rather front-load the damage, the enemy shoots back less often that way.  And, in any case, that only applies to the earlier 122mm gun from KV-1S;  the 122mm that you can unlock later on IS is significantly faster, and once you get it, the 100mm speed advantage doesn't seem so attractive anymore.

Berkut

Uhhh, the 122mm-D-25T has a firing rate of 5.65 rps, as compared to the D-2-5T rate of 4.65 rpm. I don't think I would call the significantly faster, at least compared to the D10Ts 8.5rpm.

I do agree on the front loading damage, which is why I've been using the gun - the ability to hit hard is very valuable. I am just wondering if it is worth the rather ridiculous round cost - it is making matches with the IS little better than break even - a poor match can actually cost credits. And since I am very credit poor right now...

0 rows returned

DGuller

The difference between 5.56 rpm and 4.65 rpm is 20%, and translates to more than 2 seconds less waiting between shots.  I'd say that's quite a significant difference.  People readily pay 500,000 credits for a rammer that gives you half of that.

Berkut

I say it is not significant because both numbers are low enough that in my experience, you cannot wait for the reload. They are both slow ass guns.

I actually just shelled out the 500k for a rammer for my IS...

0 rows returned

frunk

Quote from: Slargos on July 25, 2011, 12:00:02 PM
Sure. Sure.

If you can live with being the spawn of syphilic whores and having your balls dipped in marinara sauce for the gobbling of your fellow SPG drivers while your mothers are being fucked by goats then SURE.

SURE. DRIVE YOUR GODDAMNED ARTILLERY YOU BASTARD SON OF A STREET WALKING SHEEP IN WALES.

It's a lot of fun lining up on a camping Hetzer or JagdPanther, waiting for the targeting to settle and one shotting them out of existence.  Heavy Tanks are chewier, but it is a pleasure to watch them scurry when you hit them.

Have I mentioned I'm having fun with my Wespe that I got yesterday?  18 matches, 12 kills, 4500 damage inflicted and I haven't upgraded the gun yet.

Slargos

Quote from: frunk on July 26, 2011, 09:12:43 AM
Quote from: Slargos on July 25, 2011, 12:00:02 PM
Sure. Sure.

If you can live with being the spawn of syphilic whores and having your balls dipped in marinara sauce for the gobbling of your fellow SPG drivers while your mothers are being fucked by goats then SURE.

SURE. DRIVE YOUR GODDAMNED ARTILLERY YOU BASTARD SON OF A STREET WALKING SHEEP IN WALES.

It's a lot of fun lining up on a camping Hetzer or JagdPanther, waiting for the targeting to settle and one shotting them out of existence.  Heavy Tanks are chewier, but it is a pleasure to watch them scurry when you hit them.

Have I mentioned I'm having fun with my Wespe that I got yesterday?  18 matches, 12 kills, 4500 damage inflicted and I haven't upgraded the gun yet.

I hope you catch an unusually vicious and resistant strain of Syphilis.  :mad:

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on July 25, 2011, 11:36:09 PM
The difference between 5.56 rpm and 4.65 rpm is 20%, and translates to more than 2 seconds less waiting between shots.  I'd say that's quite a significant difference.  People readily pay 500,000 credits for a rammer that gives you half of that.

You know what is funny? I can't switch guns back.

Not because I think the 122 makes much sense from a cost/benefit analysis, but simply because I love blowing shit away with that big ass cannon too much - the 100mm just isn't as satisfying.

0 rows returned

Berkut

So DG, what should the next upgrade on my IS be? The new engine or the new 122mm gun? Still need the radio as well, actually.

Oddly enough, I don't think there is any need to upgrade the tracks on the IS. The stock suspension can carry everything without being upgraded at all.

0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on July 26, 2011, 10:01:41 AM
So DG, what should the next upgrade on my IS be? The new engine or the new 122mm gun? Still need the radio as well, actually.

Oddly enough, I don't think there is any need to upgrade the tracks on the IS. The stock suspension can carry everything without being upgraded at all.
Yeah, you never do need upgraded tracks.  I upgraded them anyway in the end, because I'm OCD, and my goal in the game is to elite out the whole tree.

My upgrade order was guns first, new turret when necessary, and then engines.  (EDIT:  Forgot about radios, they're always at or near the top of my priority list.)