News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on July 20, 2011, 04:51:16 PM
Someone tell me more about the free garage slot and the KV?
My understanding is that at some point KV with stupid ass turret researched will be replaced by BOTH KV-1 and KV-2 tanks.  KV-1 tank will keep the stuff from KV, and KV-2 tank will come with an extra garage slot and a free set of 100% crews.  This is why I keep a stripped down KV in my garage.

Slargos

It's funny, but it seems like there are certain paths and points of every map that I simply cannot go because I will get killed regardless of what I do or what relative size I am.

Other people are successful there, so it must be me.

DGuller

That peninsula in the middle, the one with hedgehogs at both entry points, is one such place for me.  I don't recall ever getting out of it alive. 

One of these days, when the kill count is 12:2 in our team's favor, I would make it a point to drive through it just to break my streak.  Of course, I would probably run into one of the remaining three enemy vehicles there and be swiftly dispatched, if my past performance is any indication.

Threviel

Good to know about the KV, had I known that I wouldn't have bought the SU-76 this morning. Whick by the way is wonderful, 4 games, 4 wins, multiple kills each game and I wasn't top tier in any of them. Tomorrow I'll propably have 4 games, 4 losses, no kills.

Slargos

Wow. Just wow. I just played a game in my Ferdi on Murovanka where I connected with ONE shot.

Why, you ask? And Berkut perhaps itches to respond "LULZ LERN 2 AIM".

No, the problem was that the entire fucking battle was a barrel, and the opponents were the fish. Every time I pointed my cannon at someone, 3-4 shells wooshed by and BOOM. Dead.

There was enough lead flying through the air that I was starting to fear for the Vitamin-D content in my Crew.  :(

Never seen that amount of constant volume of fire and rapid advance before. It was pretty awesome.

Stonewall

Quote from: Berkut on July 20, 2011, 03:50:36 PM
The T-28 is a pretty fun tank, once you upgrade the gun to the 85. It is a very good sniper. Mobile, great gun for its tier. Just don't try to play slugger with it because its armor sucks and it handles like a drunk pig.

I hadn't intended to waste any research points on upgrades, but ended up breaking down and getting the 2nd 57mm gun.  Wow.  That thing turned the tank into a ferocious sniper.  High penetration and insane ROF got me my first ever 5 kill games on any tank.  Hit three of them in a row, including the daily double, which pushed me over the brink and I bought my KV.  Now I need to rush that thing through and unlock the KV3 for the 2nd extra garage slot.  Here's to hoping that the patch is at least a week off.

And speaking of the KV, that thing is unwieldly and tough to play unupgraded.  Although, first match I'm in I get stuck as the only T5 in a T8 and 9 heavy match.  5 T9's!  Got the killing blow on a IS4 who strolled right by me (I could almost hear him laughing at me as he drove by and exposed his backside) to deal with a King Tiger who was pinging him.
"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

Stonewall

Quote from: Threviel on July 21, 2011, 01:58:41 AM
Good to know about the KV, had I known that I wouldn't have bought the SU-76 this morning. Whick by the way is wonderful, 4 games, 4 wins, multiple kills each game and I wasn't top tier in any of them. Tomorrow I'll propably have 4 games, 4 losses, no kills.

KV is only 330k credits.  Not terribly expensive.
"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

Slargos

Man, I like this game, but it can be so fucking frustrating.

On the new Arctic map, I took my 3002 from the west starting location to my favourite position which is the west side of the hill where the east team starts. The east team seldom comes down the middle, so I can park there and make a run for the artillery or snipe the northern advance. If I get lucky I can sometimes attack their southern flank from the rear after disposing of the artillery.

Worked like a charm this time, and me, another medium and a Tiger destroyed the defending Tiger and SU-152. All good and well. The southern flanks were butting heads and we got into position to take their offense in the rear. They predictably turn around presenting their asses to the heavies and start blasting away at us.

What does our team do?

Take a wild fucking guess.

They sit behind the corner and wait for their heavies to take us out before they start moving again, instead of taking advantage of the 30-45 seconds of free shooting we bought them with the flanking maneuver.

I simply can't understand the thought process behind this behaviour.

DGuller

Quote from: Slargos on July 21, 2011, 04:02:30 PM
Man, I like this game, but it can be so fucking frustrating.

On the new Arctic map, I took my 3002 from the west starting location to my favourite position which is the west side of the hill where the east team starts. The east team seldom comes down the middle, so I can park there and make a run for the artillery or snipe the northern advance. If I get lucky I can sometimes attack their southern flank from the rear after disposing of the artillery.

Worked like a charm this time, and me, another medium and a Tiger destroyed the defending Tiger and SU-152. All good and well. The southern flanks were butting heads and we got into position to take their offense in the rear. They predictably turn around presenting their asses to the heavies and start blasting away at us.

What does our team do?

Take a wild fucking guess.

They sit behind the corner and wait for their heavies to take us out before they start moving again, instead of taking advantage of the 30-45 seconds of free shooting we bought them with the flanking maneuver.

I simply can't understand the thought process behind this behaviour.
:lmfao:  Yeah, I know the feeling.  It seems like an awful lot of players don't realize that once one of your teammates is involved in a deathmatch with the enemy, and has no option to retreat, you have to also throw caution to the wind and put yourself in a situation that maximizes the number of shots you can get off accurately.  The enemy can only shoot at one of you at a time.

Slargos

Aaaand I just lost a match where we outnumbered the enemy 10-3, because instead of capturing the flag, everyone was milling around looking for the last stragglers while ONE of them captured our flag. There were about 5 tanks in the vicinity of the enemy flag so 2-3 of them would've ensured at the very least a draw.

But no.  :frusty:

There can be no salvation for this species. It is, as they say, too stupid to live.  :hmm:

DGuller

Here is another one.  On the new, horrible map with the hill on each side and the river in the middle, the enemy makes a massed attack on the western flank.  Four tanks and TDs continue camping in the middle, waiting for some tanks to pop up across the river, failing to realize that pretty much every enemy tank is overwhelming our flank.  You'd think that some tactical redeployment would be in order, but no.  You have to admire their commitment to the task at hand, though.  I think they were still training their sights across the river when the enemy tanks popped them in the pooper, I have to assume.

DGuller

Holy crap, I just had my cleanest sweep yet.  I've been putting my 3601 through its final battles, ready to upgrade to Tiger.  The night started off very badly, but then this battle comes where I'm just pawning the whole team.  The end result is:

8 tanks killed
14 out of 15 shots hit
85% base occupation

Everyone I shot at was dead within two shots, and no one ever managed to score a hit on me.  As a bonus, this was my daily double game.  The final tally is:

3,240 experience
Reaper
Top Gun
Witmann's Medal
Invader
Sniper

:yeah:

Berkut

Damn, nice day at the office!

Screenshot or it didn't happen though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

I was going to take a screenshot, but as I was staring at that screen, full of amazement with myself, it auto-exited.  Turns out that you only have a couple of minutes to take a screenshot of your results.

Slargos

Well I'm having a good morning. 6 battles, 5 victories. :yeah:

Nice one, DG.

I have yet to pass 7 in one battle. But at 2487XP, I think I'm still in the XP/game lead.  :cool: