And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Slargos on June 29, 2011, 01:29:32 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2011, 12:56:25 PM
One thing I do take pains to do, though, is to let the circle tighten completely before firing.  I can afford that, since they often don't focus on me while I'm aiming my first shot at them, and they can't focus or do anything else after that first shot hits.

Circle works on a gaussian function. 97.5% of the shots fired will end up somewhere in the circle with around 50% IIRC dead center.

Fully aimed, the accuracy of the 7.5 is 0.31 (meters I presume? not entirely sure) at 100m whereas the 10.5 is 0.48.

That's a tremendous difference.
I'm not saying it's not a significant difference.  I'm just saying that it's not a deal-breaker.  You also have a bigger target when firing HE shells, since even a turret hit on a tier 8 heavy will do some damage.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2011, 01:40:35 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 29, 2011, 01:29:32 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2011, 12:56:25 PM
One thing I do take pains to do, though, is to let the circle tighten completely before firing.  I can afford that, since they often don't focus on me while I'm aiming my first shot at them, and they can't focus or do anything else after that first shot hits.

Circle works on a gaussian function. 97.5% of the shots fired will end up somewhere in the circle with around 50% IIRC dead center.

Fully aimed, the accuracy of the 7.5 is 0.31 (meters I presume? not entirely sure) at 100m whereas the 10.5 is 0.48.

That's a tremendous difference.
I'm not saying it's not a significant difference.  I'm just saying that it's not a deal-breaker.  You also have a bigger target when firing HE shells, since even a turret hit on a tier 8 heavy will do some damage.

True enough. I think it simply doesn't fit my style. I've tried a few games with it and I'm simply not getting any efficiency out of it.

Slargos

Aaand another Top Gun. Lost the match though. 5 tanks defending the VP. Managed to kill 1 and damage 3.  :mad:

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on June 29, 2011, 01:54:10 PM
Aaand another Top Gun. Lost the match though. 5 tanks defending the VP. Managed to kill 1 and damage 3.  :mad:

You should try to kill tanks instead of damaging multiple ones. Dead tanks don't shoot at you. Damaged ones do.

Have you played much? I think there is a beginners guide on wiki.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on June 29, 2011, 02:02:26 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 29, 2011, 01:54:10 PM

You should try to kill tanks instead of damaging multiple ones. Dead tanks don't shoot at you. Damaged ones do.

Have you played much? I think there is a beginners guide on wiki.

:lol:

It was a tricky situation. I was the only one left, and my driver was dead so when I got into position to start picking off the guys capturing the base they were already at 50%. This meant I had to knock them off first. I couldn't get a bead on them without exposing myself to enfilading fire from another pair on an adjoining hill top. Hence I had to take a couple of shots at the guys at the flag to drop their capture score, and then retreat into cover to try to pick off the guys on the hill. I got several good hits in this way but eventually they got me. In addition, some players are actually not that stupid, so the ones getting hit at the flag retreated to cover while the fresher ones kept up their fire.

Berkut

Hitting someone capping resets the cap counter?

0 rows returned

Berkut

Despite my insistence that the game is just a FPS with a cool skin, and not worth paying a sub for....

I bought enough gold to get a 1 month sub. Fucking game is addicting!

0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on June 29, 2011, 02:11:54 PM
The team cap counter is just the sum of player cap counters.  The player who is hit and damaged has his individual cap counter reset.

Slargos

I believe it's by a factor of how much damage you inflict, but essentially yes.

Berkut

So if you manage to hit them all, say with a small tactical nuke, it would reset the entire counter. Good to know.

0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2011, 02:15:50 PM
The team cap counter is just the sum of player cap counters.  The player who is hit and damaged has his individual cap counter reset.

Well there you have it. Now I understand why sometimes hitting them doesn't do anything to the cap counter. They just got there.  :lol:

Slargos

Aaaand another Top Gun, 2500xp. Against Tier 8-10 no less. I'm having a good day.  :D

DGuller

Damn.  I've only managed Top Gun once, in a KV, although I've had countless 5-kill games.

Berkut

0 rows returned

Slargos

6 kills in one game [which is for some reason exponentially harder than 5 which I've managed far more times than 6]. In that last one I got lucky, which is typically necessary. I had managed to get 5 and as I was racing towards the flag I stumbled on their last Arty who was redeploying after I'd wasted his Screen.

Getting 6 frags requires that your teammates aren't doing a very good job, that you find a good position from which you can either use cover to get the requisite amount of rounds downrange without getting killed yourself, or flanking a force already engaged. I got all three.