News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on June 27, 2011, 06:21:49 PM
Wow, first time I've seen a calculated head-on charge actually work at Malinovka.  And work it did:  the casualties were 15-2 in our favor.  A simple charge by heavy tanks is vastly under-estimated on that map, IMO:  as long as everyone is on-board, it can work very well.  Unfortunately, most of the players are just convinced that camping is the way to go, so those who charge just suicide themselves needlessly while cowards stay back and wait to be massacred.

Agree. I've seen it a few times, and it seldom fails. You need a perfect storm of enough players that aren't cowards though, and I'd say that 80+% being snails and campers is the reason it almost never happens. It's the kind of map that allows for a broad frontal assault and the math is simply in the favour of the attacking team when 15 tanks face the remaining 5-6 defenders  with the rest usually on the hill performing the flanking move.

The defenders simply get saturated. Get one shot off but you're facing 3-4 for every one you fire. Odds are you will get hit while firing and it will throw your aim off, or damage your gun or tracks leaving you even more vulnerable for the next volley and Bob's your uncle.

A lot of players don't seem to understand the concept of attacking with a balled fist rather than 5 spread fingers arrayed in a bitch slap.  :D

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on June 27, 2011, 09:17:14 PM
Hehe, 2 kills as a bottom tier 38(t).  In the right circumstances, with some luck, light tanks can definitely punch above their weight.  It also helps when the ones defending the base are the other light tanks, which is just a silly role for them if you think about it.

:lol:

I love watching lights stop in defensive positions. They die rapidly and their team goes blind in the meantime.

I've seen PzIIIs try to play peekaboo against my VK36, even. Sometimes I think people simply don't consider how badly the odds are stacked against them. A tank is a tank is a tank. Nevermind that you're in paper-thin armour and the opponent is sporting an 88.  :D

Slargos

I see your point about the 38t, Berk. That was painful.  :wacko:

Slargos

:lol:

I just one-shot an IS-4.

Stealthed mother fucker got me before I could see him, but I got lucky and a track absorbed all the damage so I was moving again in seconds. Then I spot him and take careful aim on his exposed belly sitting as he were atop a ridge. Fire a shot and WHAM the mother fucker explodes. Usually they take at least 4-5 shots to take down with my Löwe, but I landed a lucky hit in his ammo compartment and his turret probably landed somewhere a couple of minutes later.  :D

To top it off, I move on a bit and stumble onto their main line of advance, way ahead of my support and when staring down the barrel of a VK45 you're pretty much toast nevermind the rest of his posse. Way behind them I notice their Hummel, take aim and figure I'll at least try to get the 2 shots off that will be required to kill him, but apparently lightning strikes twice and I must've hit either the ammo compartment or the gas tank because he too dies with the first round.

The rest killed me while I was busy laughing and taunting them via the chat, but I still managed to take the Vk down to 70% from a nice hull down position that took them about 6-7 shots to dig me out of.  :D

Man I love this game.

DGuller

I just discovered the derp gun on the Panzer IV.  I always assumed that the 7.5 cm gun was superior to the 10.5 cm gun, so I didn't even bother researching it.  Now that I did, and mounted it, I had several games with 5 kills.  I like.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2011, 11:43:18 AM
I just discovered the derp gun on the Panzer IV.  I always assumed that the 7.5 cm gun was superior to the 10.5 cm gun, so I didn't even bother researching it.  Now that I did, and mounted it, I had several games with 5 kills.  I like.

Lots of damage but terrible penetration. I guess a (or frankly the ONLY) viable option would be running with all HE and hope for module hits on the heavier tanks that you can't damage by penetration.

DGuller

Of course, pretty much all derp guns have to be operated with HE ammo only.  That's not too much of an impediment, though, since you're fucked in Panzer IV anyway against any opposition with good armor.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2011, 12:26:52 PM
Of course, pretty much all derp guns have to be operated with HE ammo only.  That's not too much of an impediment, though, since you're fucked in Panzer IV anyway against any opposition with good armor.

Yes and no. In the PzIV I like to act as support for heavies. The enemy often focuses on your heavies and with good aim you're able to do reasonable damage with the 7.5. Just don't get in a position where you're taking rounds, obviously, because it can't last more than a few hits from heavies.

But I am intrigued by your results and I will take it for a spin.  :hmm:

Slargos

No. Just no.

Accuracy is atrocious.  :mad:

I guess I need to give it a couple of games though. I'm really not used to playing with HE.

DGuller

I don't find the 10.5 cm accuracy atrocious at all.  Most derp guns can't hit the side of a barn, but that's because most derp guns are Russian.  I've taken plenty of long range shots with the Panzer IV derp gun with amazing accuracy, most of my kill are from some distance away.  I auto-aim, of course, since if I'm shooting at someone with a derp gun, odds are I don't care where it hits.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

One thing I do take pains to do, though, is to let the circle tighten completely before firing.  I can afford that, since they often don't focus on me while I'm aiming my first shot at them, and they can't focus or do anything else after that first shot hits.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on June 29, 2011, 12:55:12 PM
derp?
It's a WoT slang for howitzer guns.  Basically, those are high caliber guns with a very short barrel.  They're typically used with HE shells only, as their AP ammo doesn't give you much more penetration compared to HE. 

The advantage of them is that they pack enormous damage.  The downsides are typically poor accuracy and slow reload times.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2011, 12:56:25 PM
One thing I do take pains to do, though, is to let the circle tighten completely before firing.  I can afford that, since they often don't focus on me while I'm aiming my first shot at them, and they can't focus or do anything else after that first shot hits.

Circle works on a gaussian function. 97.5% of the shots fired will end up somewhere in the circle with around 50% IIRC dead center.

Fully aimed, the accuracy of the 7.5 is 0.31 (meters I presume? not entirely sure) at 100m whereas the 10.5 is 0.48.

That's a tremendous difference.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2011, 01:00:47 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 29, 2011, 12:55:12 PM
derp?
It's a WoT slang for howitzer guns.  Basically, those are high caliber guns with a very short barrel.  They're typically used with HE shells only, as their AP ammo doesn't give you much more penetration compared to HE. 

The advantage of them is that they pack enormous damage.  The downsides are typically poor accuracy and slow reload times.

Not to mention that you virtually have time to go for a smoke between firing and the shell landing somewhere in the vicinity of the target.  :D

It's practically possible to physically dodge a HE shot, and a lot of the time the period that the shell takes to move, the target will have inadvertently moved not to necessarily specifically dodge your shot but in general to throw off aim or go for cover.