And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on June 16, 2011, 08:23:56 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 16, 2011, 08:08:26 AM
That's how a free game works. I guess this is how coke addicts feel.

Try Spiral Knights, it's as worse.

I don't mind the business model, just think that when you look at how much this game costs, it isn't worth it.

Makes all those 60$ games seem cheap, eh?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Given how much I played this game, $10 per month is really not that unreasonable for a MMPOG.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on June 16, 2011, 11:18:11 AM
Given how much I played this game, $10 per month is really not that unreasonable for a MMPOG.

$10/month for what is pretty much a pretty thin shooter is a bit much.

This is not by any means an MMORPG, and doesn't not have nearly enough content to justify $10/month, IMO.

It is a shooter with a pretty cool theme.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

But it's so, so addictive.  :(

Slargos

Since you don't have to pay in order to play it, I really don't see the problem. The only difference is that you don't get access to some perks of rather limited function. I sure as shit won't be paying gold, for example, for better ammo.

I splurged on a $30 tank, but given that it's half the cost of any typical game I'd buy and I've already gotten more hours out of this than I would most titles, I think it's relatively cheap.

DGuller

Yeah, exactly.  You can play completely for free, you'll just be progressing at half the normal pace, and won't have the option of skipping over a tank that for whatever reason you despise playing.

Berkut

Yeah, but games like this I look at the "free" part as basically demo. The progression is too slow to tolerate at the free level, and I think they are a bit too pricey at the paid level.

YMMV, of course. I imagine I will drop in and play now and again, just because the theme is a lot of fun. But I've already noticed that I am annoyed pretty fast when it is obvious I am going to be a second class citizen pretty much forever. Even when I wait and finally get to move up...it just means now you have the shittiest tank in a new tier anyway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on June 16, 2011, 01:30:43 PM
Yeah, but games like this I look at the "free" part as basically demo. The progression is too slow to tolerate at the free level, and I think they are a bit too pricey at the paid level.

YMMV, of course. I imagine I will drop in and play now and again, just because the theme is a lot of fun. But I've already noticed that I am annoyed pretty fast when it is obvious I am going to be a second class citizen pretty much forever. Even when I wait and finally get to move up...it just means now you have the shittiest tank in a new tier anyway.

That's certainly the most frustrating part.

Slargos

I've gotten the hang of aiming for the weak spots. I can finally score some actual hits. :w00t:

Unfortunately it seems many of them involve hitting driver's and commander's hatches, and perhaps there is some rationale like shrapnel to account for the resulting destruction but it seems a bit off.

Slargos

Watching two columns of Panzers in evenly spaced march link up after a two-pronged attack, to rush towards the objective, is simply breathtaking. This game offers both excitement and marvellous aesthetics. I don't see why anyone would ever need another game.  :sleep:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Slargos on June 16, 2011, 04:52:53 PM
Watching two columns of Panzers in evenly spaced march link up after a two-pronged attack, to rush towards the objective, is simply breathtaking. This game offers both excitement and marvellous aesthetics. I don't see why anyone would ever need another game.  :sleep:

Did the Panzerlied pop into your head as you watched that?  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Slargos

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 16, 2011, 04:55:36 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 16, 2011, 04:52:53 PM

Did the Panzerlied pop into your head as you watched that?  :)

:blush:

Shade

Also I do not know if you know this but there is a forward and backward cruise control R is forward and I believe F is backward... ironic I know... Click it once and you go level one speed up to level 3 or 4 speed. Also if you press shift it automatically puts you in and out of a first person and third person perspective, great for sniping. If you did already know about this sorry to waste your time.

DGuller

Wow, one Panzerjager just killed 10 on my team. 

DGuller

Quote from: Shade on June 16, 2011, 05:57:40 PM
Also I do not know if you know this but there is a forward and backward cruise control R is forward and I believe F is backward... ironic I know... Click it once and you go level one speed up to level 3 or 4 speed. Also if you press shift it automatically puts you in and out of a first person and third person perspective, great for sniping. If you did already know about this sorry to waste your time.
Didn't know there are several settings, which ironically is why I found it useless.