Mexico soldiers find narco 'tank' factory

Started by jimmy olsen, June 07, 2011, 08:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Sounds like something out of Mad Max

They're actually APCs

QuoteMexico soldiers find narco 'tank' factory

(AFP) – 14 hours ago

MONTERREY, Mexico — Soldiers on patrol in a Mexican border town discovered a warehouse where armor-plated "tanks" were being prepared for the Gulf drug cartel, a military source said Monday.

The patrol came across the warehouse when they clashed with a group of armed men in the town of Ciudad Camargo, in the far northeastern state of Tamaulipas. Two of the gunmen were killed in a firefight, while two hid inside the warehouse.

"We found two home-made armored trucks in the warehouse, which belongs to the Gulf Cartel," the military source told AFP, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The trucks were covered in steel plates one inch (2.5 centimeters) thick, strong enough to "resist the caliber of personal weapons the soldiers use," said the source.

The air-conditioned armored vehicles were equipped with portholes where snipers could open fire from and remain protected.

Soldiers also found two other trucks that were in the process of being armored, as well as 23 powerful big-rig trucks that were apparently going to be armored.

The vehicles, locally known as "monsters," can even resist fire from a heavy .50 caliber machine gun and can only be destroyed with anti-tank weapons, according to the military.

The home-made tanks are used in clashes with other drug cartels as well as to protect drug shipments.

In recent years, soldiers deployed in the northeastern Mexican border region have confiscated 109 home-made armored vehicles -- including one dubbed the "Popemobile" because it carried an armored cabin similar to that used to protect Pope Benedict XVI in foreign trips.

In May, police in the western state of Jalisco carrying out a sweep against the Los Zetas drug cartel discovered an armored vehicle large enough to carry 20 armed men and also equipped with weapons portholes.

Members of the Gulf Cartel and the Zetas are engaged in a bitter fight to control the lucrative smuggling routes in eastern Mexico into the United States.

Separately, investigators in the northern state of Coahuila said Monday that they had discovered 1,314 pieces of human bones that they believe are the remains of victims whose bodies were burned.

Soldiers found the remains in 20 pits near the town of Guerrero along with 60 bullet shells and personal items such as clothing and watches.

Mexico has seen an explosion in drug-related violence which has left some 37,000 dead, according to media reports, since the government launched a military crackdown on organized crime in 2006.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

1st Cocaine Division, commanded by General Cheech and or General Chong. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

:huh:

What the heck is going on in Mexico? They have towns taken over by drug gangs, police flee, and residents flee or live in fear. Maybe the US needs to leave Afghanistan and consider sending troops to assist the Mexican military!

The Brain

I wouldn't want to be a zombie in Mexico.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on June 07, 2011, 09:49:29 AM

What the heck is going on in Mexico? They have towns taken over by drug gangs, police flee, and residents flee or live in fear. Maybe the US needs to leave Afghanistan and consider sending troops to assist the Mexican military!

I have been claiming that for years.  Ah well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

The pics of the gangs hanging people from bridges are hot.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

The US doesn't stand a chance against the Mexican gangs.  They're not going to give them a straight-up fight.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on June 07, 2011, 09:49:29 AM

Quick, someone get Blackjack Pershing on the phone. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

It's all worth it as long as illegal drugs are against the law.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on June 07, 2011, 12:43:58 PM
It's all worth it as long as illegal drugs are against the law.

It is kind of mind boggling the things people will tolerate rather than just say "Yeah, that plan didn't work so great..."
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Mr.Penguin

Reminds me of the Chinese warlord trucks from the 1930's. Every warlord with respect for himself had to have one to impress the locals...

Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Strix

Quote from: DGuller on June 07, 2011, 12:43:58 PM
It's all worth it as long as illegal drugs immigrants are against the law.

I fixed that for you.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

jamesww

It's certainly worrying just how much of a failed state Mexico is becoming; though I don't see many practical steps the US can take to insulate itself from the effects.

Neil

Quote from: jamesww on June 07, 2011, 07:04:08 PM
It's certainly worrying just how much of a failed state Mexico is becoming; though I don't see many practical steps the US can take to insulate itself from the effects.
Machine guns along the border would do it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on June 07, 2011, 07:07:23 PM
Quote from: jamesww on June 07, 2011, 07:04:08 PM
Machine guns along the border would do it.
No need to do something so manpower intensive. Mines will do the job.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point