News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

House demands explanation from Obama on Libya

Started by jimmy olsen, June 04, 2011, 06:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Will Congress actually grow a spine on foreign policy? Stay tuned.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/03/us-usa-libya-congress-idUSTRE7525YW20110603

QuoteHouse wants explanation from Obama on Libya

By Susan Cornwell

WASHINGTON | Fri Jun 3, 2011 4:18pm EDT

(Reuters) - The House of Representatives on Friday demanded that President Barack Obama clarify the U.S. role in the conflict in Libya, but rejected an attempt to force him to end America's military involvement there.

The votes reflected lawmakers' unease over a third war along with Iraq and Afghanistan, and a view that Obama did not adequately consult Congress before joining a multinational operation that began conducting air strikes in March to protect Libyan civilians from attacks by Muammar Gaddafi's forces.

But while the measure that passed increases political pressure on Obama over the clash, it lacks the force of law.

The House voted 268-145 for a resolution sponsored by House Speaker John Boehner calling for Obama to inform lawmakers within the next two weeks of the scope, duration and costs of the Libya mission.

The measure reaffirmed a House vote last week forbidding U.S. "boots on the ground" in Libya. It said Obama had offered no compelling rationale for the war, and asked whether NATO operations in Libya would be viable without the United States.

Lawmakers rejected a rival resolution by Democrat Dennis Kucinich directing Obama to halt U.S. participation in the Libyan war within 15 days. That vote was 148-265.

NATO is leading the Libya intervention with a U.S. contribution, but there are no U.S. troops on the ground.

Lawmakers have called for Obama to clarify the U.S. mission since he notified them on March 21 that he had ordered the intervention as part of a coalition conducting air strikes to shield Libyan civilians from Gaddafi's forces.

Boehner warned lawmakers could take further action if Obama gives them the brush-off. The resolution notes that Congress has the authority to cut off funds for military operations.

"This resolution puts the president on notice," Boehner said. "He has the chance to get this right, and if he doesn't, Congress will exercise its constitutional authority and we will make it right."

Advocates of the Kucinich measure, an odd alliance of liberal Democrats and conservative Republicans, said Boehner's measure was toothless, noting there were no plans to pass a similar measure in the Democratic-majority Senate.

The Boehner resolution reprimands the president for not consulting Congress, asks for more information, "and then does nothing," said Representative Jim McGovern, a Democrat.

The White House says it has been consulting regularly with lawmakers about Libya. Spokesman Josh Earnest said on Friday the resolutions before the House were "unnecessary and unhelpful."

CONSTITUTIONAL REQUIREMENT?

Kucinich said Obama was disregarding the Constitution, which gives Congress the authority to declare war, as well as the 1973 War Powers Resolution, which prohibits U.S. armed forces from being involved in military actions for more than 60 days without congressional authorization.

"Many of us want to support our president. But the president has ignored Congress' essential war powers," said Kucinich.

The White House suggests that the limited U.S. action in Libya might not reach the War Powers Resolution's threshold.

Boehner introduced his resolution on Thursday to give lawmakers a way to send a message that they are unhappy about the Libyan situation without supporting the Kucinich resolution, which Republicans worried could "pull the rug" from under U.S. allies conducting operations in Libya.

But 87 Republicans still voted for Kucinich's resolution, outnumbering the 61 Democratic supporters. "With the civil war in north Africa, there is no clear and present danger to the United States of America," one of the Republicans, Representative Jason Chaffetz, said.

(Editing by Eric Walsh)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jamesww

I think we could be heading for the end game; British Army now engaged in the fighting:

QuoteLibya: UK Apache helicopters used in Nato attacks
04 June 11

UK Apache attack helicopters have been used over Libya for the first time, Nato has confirmed.

They attacked and destroyed two military installations, a radar site and an armed checkpoint near Brega, the Captain of HMS Ocean told the BBC.

The Apaches are understood to have faced incoming fire.

French Gazelle helicopters also took part in simultaneous attacks on different targets in Libya for the first time.

On Wednesday, Nato extended its mission in Libya by 90 days.

Major General Nick Pope, the chief of the defence staff's strategic communications officer, said:"The Apaches were tasked with precision strikes against a regime radar installation and a military checkpoint, both located around Brega.

"Hellfire missiles and 30mm cannon were used to destroy the targets. The helicopters then returned safely to HMS Ocean."

He said the targets had been "carefully and rigorously selected" and said intelligence about the positions of the Gaddafi forces had been improving "despite their efforts to conceal themselves".

Defence Secretary Liam Fox added: "The attack helicopter is yet another potent and formidable aircraft type which has now been added to the Nato forces engaged on this operation. Those who are still supporting Colonel Gaddafi would do well to realise that the best way to remove themselves from danger is to understand that their future lies with the Libyan people, not a discredited regime."

The former head of the Army, Lord Dannatt, said the move has an "inevitable intensification".

"If you pick up the words from when President Obama was visiting, what we've heard the prime minister say, we don't want to let this thing linger on any more than we absolutely have to.

rest of article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-13651736

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jamesww on June 04, 2011, 07:00:17 AM
I think we could be heading for the end game; British Army now engaged in the fighting:

Great.  We stall at Caen and lose 1st Para to the Libyans.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Norgy

Can't they find Libya themselves? I am sure Obama has more pressing matters to attend to.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 04, 2011, 08:06:33 AM
Quote from: jamesww on June 04, 2011, 07:00:17 AM

Great.  We stall at Caen and lose 1st Para to the Libyans.

lolz. Monty has also demanded his own B-17 to fly around in.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Kleves

I bet House was a dick about it, too. That's kind of his thing.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Martinus

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 04, 2011, 06:32:29 AM

Terrible idea.
The House can't even run the country effectively. We don't need them screwing up foreign policy with their idiotic populism.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Kleves on June 04, 2011, 02:06:28 PM
I bet House was a dick about it, too. That's kind of his thing.

The way he manipulated Secret Service to gain access was pretty brilliant.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

HMS Ocean

British standards in ship-naming have really slipped.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 06, 2011, 11:51:26 AM
HMS Ocean

British standards in ship-naming have really slipped.

iirc There was a CV named HMS Ocean, probably quite an old name.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 04, 2011, 05:58:55 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 04, 2011, 06:32:29 AM

Terrible idea.
The House can't even run the country effectively. We don't need them screwing up foreign policy with their idiotic populism.

Yes, far better to let the President wave his hand and have the legions go forth with no oversight.  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien