Main Menu

House demands explanation from Obama on Libya

Started by jimmy olsen, June 04, 2011, 06:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on June 06, 2011, 12:49:56 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 06, 2011, 11:51:26 AM
HMS Ocean

British standards in ship-naming have really slipped.

iirc There was a CV named HMS Ocean, probably quite an old name.

You people fail at internet. <_<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ocean

Goes back to capturing a French vessel in 1759.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on June 06, 2011, 01:00:03 PM
Yes, far better to let the President wave his hand and have the legions go forth with no oversight.  :hmm:

I do sometimes wonder why bother having a Constitution when we are just going to ignore it.  Heck even the laws for allowing exceptions to the Constitution like the War Powers Act gets ignored.

Ah well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

I still think the best thing to do would simply be to pass an authorizing resolution and send it to the Prez. It's not like he's gonna veto it, and then all the constitutional bases are covered.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 06, 2011, 01:12:55 PM
I still think the best thing to do would simply be to pass an authorizing resolution and send it to the Prez. It's not like he's gonna veto it, and then all the constitutional bases are covered.

I know at least go through the motions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 06, 2011, 11:51:26 AM
HMS Ocean

British standards in ship-naming have really slipped.

Invincible, Indomitable, and Victorious don't work as well when you've spent the past 100 years transforming the empire into a welfare state and a nation of bankers. HMS Social Justice and HMS Carry Trade just don't make the best ship names.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Caliga

I'm pulling for HMS Crazy Diana and HMS Harry the Bastard. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

what exactly are US forces doing in Libya anyway?  Is it possible for the WH to argue that US Armed Forces are not presently engaged in hostilities?

Anyway, I don't get what Obama is doing here.  Should be pretty easy to get the authorization needed so why play games unless the intent is to repudiate by implication the War Powers Resolution.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 06, 2011, 02:02:18 PM
what exactly are US forces doing in Libya anyway?  Is it possible for the WH to argue that US Armed Forces are not presently engaged in hostilities?

Anyway, I don't get what Obama is doing here.  Should be pretty easy to get the authorization needed so why play games unless the intent is to repudiate by implication the War Powers Resolution.

Hasn't the White House, no matter which party is in power, repudiated the WPR?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2011, 02:18:29 PM

Why do you think Bush went to the Senate for a vote on Iraq II?

Habbaku

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 06, 2011, 02:02:18 PM

"Non-kinetic military action".  Come on, it's just what it sounds like.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2011, 02:18:29 PM
No.  Each administration has stated that the WPA isn't binding on the President, and each has scrupulously adhered to it's reporting requirements.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2011, 01:17:30 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 06, 2011, 01:16:29 PM
HMS Social Justice

:lol:

HMS Whinger Ginger Minger, and of course my all-time fave-rave, HMS RIGHT WOTS ALL THIS THEN

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point