News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

R.I.P. Marshal Dillon

Started by katmai, June 03, 2011, 09:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

QuoteJames Arness, the Minnesota city boy who became television's strongest, most stoic symbol of the Old West, died Friday at age 88 of natural causes.

Arness was best known for the role of straight-shooting straight-arrow U.S. Marshal Matt Dillon, the lead character in "Gunsmoke," which ran on CBS from 1955 to 1975. It's tied with "Law & Order" as the longest-running dramatic series in network history

Born James Aurness (he dropped the "u" when he took up acting), he worked in the freight yards and as a logger before he joined the Army in 1942. He wanted to be an aviator, but at 6-foot-7 was five inches above the maximum height, so he became a rifleman in the Army infantry.

He was severely wounded during the January 1944 invasion of Anzio, Italy, where he was the first soldier ordered off the landing craft so officers could determine the depth of the water.

He was awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, the World War II Victory Medal and several other decorations. After several operations to alleviate injuries that would affect him for the rest of his life, he was honorably discharged in January 1945.

His younger brother, Peter Graves, who died last year, found fame on his own terms as the star of "Mission: Impossible."

Arness, who rode tall in the saddle at 6 feet 7, was hired to play Dillon on the recommendation of his mentor, John Wayne, who made a rare TV appearance to introduce the very first episode.

"Gunsmoke" would go on to become the quintessential Western, with Arness as a small-screen Gregory Peck. It was television's most-watched show from 1957 to 1961. Thirty Westerns came and went on TV during its unprecedented run.

Arness' film credits included the Howard Hawks-produced The Thing From Another World, the ice-bound, 1951 sci-fi/horror classic that spawned John Carpenter's 1982 The Thing (which itself spawned a prequel due out in the fall).
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sophie Scholl

:(  I remember watching reruns with my pops.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

dps

Arness and Peter Graves were brothers?  I never knew that.

Anyway sad news.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point