News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Martin Bashir:"Palin bus tour illegal"

Started by citizen k, June 02, 2011, 11:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Ed Anger has mentioned before how Martin Bashir should be sent back to UK.

QuoteIs Palin's bus tour illegal?
Thu Jun 2

New York – MSNBC's Martin Bashir claims the former Alaska governor is violating federal law by waving the flag while raising money

Rumored presidential candidate Sarah Palin has taken plenty of heat for her ambiguous, unorthodox, and press-unfriendly "One Nation" bus tour. But MSNBC's Martin Bashir has gone beyond routine criticism, suggesting that Palin's east-coast jaunt might be "in breach of federal law." Citing the United States Flag Code, Bashir says you can't use the nation's flag in any form of advertising and Palin, he argues, is using her bus, which is plastered with giant images of the flag, not for campaigning, but for "filling her pockets." Does he have a point, or is this just an anti-Palin cheap shot?

This guy does not know what he is talking about: Martin Bashir is an ignorant political hack, says Alex Fitzsimmons at News Busters. The nonpartisan Congressional Research Service, which provides legal advice to Congress, says observance of the Flag Code is strictly voluntary. And if the Supreme Court says you can burn the flag, surely you can decorate a bus with it.
"Martin Bashir: Sarah Palin's bus tour a 'breach of federal law'"

This is hypocritical and blatant Palin-bashing: Bashir is just singling out Palin because she's conservative, says Patterico's Pontifications. Why didn't he complain when Barack Obama, and Hillary Clinton, and John Kerry — Democrats all — used the flag in their political ads? The fact is that "politicians wrap themselves in the flag all the time." And Bashir's own network has liberally, and inappropriately, splashed the flag on the screen, too.
"Martin Bashir is shocked and angry that ... a politician is using a flag in an ad"

It may be legal, but Palin is exploiting the flag: "Palin is not promoting a book, a candidacy, or anything but herself," says Alex Moore at Death + Taxes. There are indeed no legal penalties for violating the Flag Code, as "it's more just a base line code for decency and respect." But this blatant exploitation of the stars and stripes proves that Palin is a charlatan who sells herself as the pinnacle of patriotism, but "can't even rise to meet this basic benchmark" of decency.

Razgovory

Didn't think I would find my self agreeing with a guy from NewsBusters.  I'll be damned.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Plenty of real stuff to criticize Palin about. What a waste.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Hmm.  I seemed to have confused Martin Bashir with Roland Martin (who is also a hack).  Still this Bashir guy made a really stupid statement.  So happily the world is large enough for them both to be hacks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Nice to see MSNBC upholding its high standards.

Zoupa

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on June 03, 2011, 01:38:45 AM
Fighting fire with fire.  :)

I don't see Palin as a serious candidate anymore.  She's not even worth wasting words on anymore.  There's little reason to attack her, she's already destroyed her own credibility.  Even amongst GOP faithful.

Josquius

I really hope Palin does get the nomination. That would be funny.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on June 03, 2011, 05:46:18 AM
I really hope Palin does get the nomination. That would be funny.

Be careful what you wish for.

Ed Anger

Quote from: citizen k on June 02, 2011, 11:54:55 PM
Ed Anger has mentioned before how Martin Bashir should be sent back to UK.

:yes:

I tried watching his show on MSNBC. He is a very,very stupid man.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on June 03, 2011, 01:38:45 AM
Fighting fire with fire gasoline:)
FYP.  These kinds of absurd accusations only help the accused - particularly people like Palin, who run on the platform of "the MSM [sic] is out to get me!"  :)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

Quote from: Razgovory on June 03, 2011, 01:58:20 AM

I don't see Palin as a serious candidate anymore.  She's not even worth wasting words on anymore.  There's little reason to attack her, she's already destroyed her own credibility.  Even amongst GOP faithful.

But don't you want to vote for her out of morbid curiosity, just to see how a Palin presidency would play out? I picture it'd be like 1984 crossed with a lot of skinned animals.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Caliga

While this country does seem to be getting stupider by the year, I still don't think a charlatan like her is going to con her way into the White House any time soon.  By the time America is stupid enough to elect a Sarah Palin, demographic shifts mean it'll be electing Sierra Perez instead.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Slargos

Quote from: Caliga on June 03, 2011, 07:03:45 AM
While this country does seem to be getting stupider by the year, I still don't think a charlatan like her is going to con her way into the White House any time soon.  By the time America is stupid enough to elect a Sarah Palin, demographic shifts mean it'll be electing Sierra Perez instead.

:lol:

Unwittingly raciss?  :lmfao: