Global War On Drugs 'Has Failed' Say Former Leaders

Started by jamesww, June 02, 2011, 06:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on June 02, 2011, 12:55:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2011, 12:12:41 PM
Quote from: Tyr on June 02, 2011, 12:02:59 PM
Awesome this is getting some airing in public.
Lets hope the coalition in an effort to raise money decides to legalise and tax cannabis.
Unlikely but I can hope.

Most of the negative effects they are talking about aren't from cannabis.

Do you really want to legalize and tax cocaine, meth and herion?

For the seriously addictive-type drugs which have potentially harmful or fatal effects on users, like heroin and cigarettes, I'd like to see a "medical" rather than a "criminal" model in place - have addicts go to their physicians and get a prescription for their fix, which they could then obtain like any other pharmaceutical product - in physician-supervised, regulated doses.

Seems better for everyone than treating addicts as criminals.

Such an approach has its place, but it's not a panacea.

It's most commonly known in the Methadone treatment for opiod addiction.  Methadone is a slightly safer, and gives less of a rush (but yet blocks the same receptors, thus preventing withdrawl symptoms), which is why it is used in weening people off of opioids.

But you have to want to get off of opioids for this to work.  If you have no interest in quitting, there's not much to be said for simply giving out Methadone.

It is probably worse for other hard drugs.  There's no other, safer, alternative to methamphetamines or cocaine.  It's ethically problematic for doctors to be prescribing hard drugs.  And again it only really works if people want to quit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2011, 01:03:03 PM
It is probably worse for other hard drugs.  There's no other, safer, alternative to methamphetamines or cocaine.  It's ethically problematic for doctors to be prescribing hard drugs.  And again it only really works if people want to quit.

A lot of what doctors do is ethically difficult but we still ask them to do it.  Doctors are always having to make a decision about whether a person needs pain killers legitimately or whether they are trying to obtain the prescription drugs for other purposes.  This would be essentially the same judgment call.\

Also, I think you have artificially restricted medical treatment to only a course of treatment for quiting.  Assisting a person with an addiction to deal with the addiction in a safe manner is also a legitimate medical treatment - or so says our Court of Appeal - it will interesting to see what the SCC says about it when they release their decision in the Insite case.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2011, 01:03:03 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 02, 2011, 12:55:48 PM
Lets hope the coalition in an effort to raise money decides to legalise and tax cannabis.
Unlikely but I can hope.

For the seriously addictive-type drugs which have potentially harmful or fatal effects on users, like heroin and cigarettes, I'd like to see a "medical" rather than a "criminal" model in place - have addicts go to their physicians and get a prescription for their fix, which they could then obtain like any other pharmaceutical product - in physician-supervised, regulated doses.

Seems better for everyone than treating addicts as criminals.

Such an approach has its place, but it's not a panacea.

It's most commonly known in the Methadone treatment for opiod addiction.  Methadone is a slightly safer, and gives less of a rush (but yet blocks the same receptors, thus preventing withdrawl symptoms), which is why it is used in weening people off of opioids.

But you have to want to get off of opioids for this to work.  If you have no interest in quitting, there's not much to be said for simply giving out Methadone.

To my mind, maintenance of an addiction is a medical strategy. If you are going to replace the criminal system with a medical one, you have to have a strategy for dealing with those who simply don't wish to quit, or are unable to.

To my mind, it is simply better for our society to allow these folks to have drugs under medical supervision than to attempt to arrest and jail them, in order to deter them from being addicts.

That's on a pure cost-benefit analysis: less harms and costs to society and to the individuals involved; deterrence doesn't seem to be a great strategy. To my mind it also raises less morally troubling questions concerning the legitimacy of punishing someone for being an addict, when addiction is arguably a compulsion that the average person cannot overcome.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Strix

I am not sure I see the benefits to switching to a 'medical model' for dealing with illegal drugs.

Medicaid is already the 800 lbs Gorilla in the back of the room when it comes to the budgets of most States. Switching to a 'medical model' will only increase costs to Medicaid and just change the address of the drug dealers e.g. from the corner of North and Genny to Glaxo-Kline Smith.

Also there will be plenty of abuse. Most of my Heroin users are currently enrolled in program and receive Suboxone treatments (the new Methadone). I catch most of them selling the pills to support their habit.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

garbon

Quote from: Strix on June 02, 2011, 02:48:46 PM
I am not sure I see the benefits to switching to a 'medical model' for dealing with illegal drugs.

Medicaid is already the 800 lbs Gorilla in the back of the room when it comes to the budgets of most States. Switching to a 'medical model' will only increase costs to Medicaid and just change the address of the drug dealers e.g. from the corner of North and Genny to Glaxo-Kline Smith.

Also there will be plenty of abuse. Most of my Heroin users are currently enrolled in program and receive Suboxone treatments (the new Methadone). I catch most of them selling the pills to support their habit.

I don't see a problem with supporting Pharma companies over street sellers.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

How many prison cells will be emptied?

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on June 02, 2011, 02:50:34 PM

Of course you don't.  That's like Malthus supporting Lawyers over Doctors.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Strix

The problem is who will be supporting the Pharma companies. I have a major issue with tax payers footing the bill for drug addicts.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Habbaku

Quote from: Strix on June 02, 2011, 02:55:07 PM
The problem is who will be supporting the Pharma companies. I have a major issue with tax payers footing the bill for drug addicts.

So let's throw them all in prison where...the tax payers foot the bill for drug addicts.  :huh:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

And we don't now? :tinfoil:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Strix

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

How many prison cells will be emptied?

How many hospital beds will be filled?

Last time I checked, Doctors and Nurses made a lot more than Corrections and Parole Officers. The idea sounds great, less crime, less need for prisons, that's if you ignore the increased costs to Medicaid, more hospitals and inpatient programs, etc, and so on.

Strix

Quote from: garbon on June 02, 2011, 02:57:56 PM

And we don't now? :tinfoil:

Not to the extent that we would be if the system changed to a 'medical model'.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2011, 02:55:01 PM

Of course you don't.  That's like Malthus supporting Lawyers over Doctors.

Think about the quality of the product!

Strix

Quote from: Habbaku on June 02, 2011, 02:57:41 PM
So let's throw them all in prison where...the tax payers foot the bill for drug addicts.  :huh:

Personally, I'd say yes, I'd prefer to see a drug user in prison living on my dime than sitting at home in front of a big screen TV getting high on my dime.

If I had the ultimate answer than I'd be a very wealthy man. I do know that the idea of legalizing drugs and switching to a 'medical model' has a lot of pitfalls and costs that are being ignored or overlooked. It's not the panacea people make it out to be.

DGuller

Unlikely but I can hope.

Sure, why not?  Why should I carefully plan my Claritin D purchases in order to not commit a federal crime, just because someone could use the pseudoephedrine in it to cook the meth?  If people want to kill themselves, let them do it, don't restrict the freedoms of others to badly try to restrict the freedom of the junkies.