News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

31 Hell's Angels released...

Started by viper37, May 31, 2011, 10:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Charges+stayed+massive+Quebec+biker+gang+trial/4870591/story.html

31 out of 155 of the massive Sharq anti Hell's Angels operation are now almost free.  The Crown is obviously going to appeal, even though these guys seems to be smaller fish (drug dealers instead of murderers).

It would take too much time to tried them, given the time of their arrest (2009) apparently.  They could still be re-charged later on by the crown, though I'm not sure I understand the technicality here, the french and english reports differ on this (one says it's the same as being acquitted, the other says the crown can still charge them again for the same crimes).

I think the judge has a valid point, but fuck, we got to give our prosecutors some resources so they can at least pretend to try to get a conviction.

In other news, the FTQ is expected to boost its membership this summer.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Ouch.  I didn't think you guys even let Hells Angels into the country.  I remember reading something about a nasty biker war in Canada.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

We have had many biker wars in Canada.

Despite the HAs being declared a criminal organization in this country by our courts, the damn Charter doesn't allow us to ban the whole organization.

Viper - once there is a judicial stay of proceedings (as opposed to a stay of proceedings entered into by the Crown) the matter is done.  It can be appealed, but that is it.  It is not the same as an acquittal, since there was never an adjudication on the merits, but they can not be re-charged.

Really - the whole concept of mega-trials needs to be re-thought.  They invariably lead to collapse such as this.  The whole trial process for multiple accuseds needs to be streamlined - it is not the Crown's fault that the process is such a clusterfuck.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on May 31, 2011, 11:55:32 PM

Despite the HAs being declared a criminal organization in this country by our courts, the damn Charter doesn't allow us to ban the whole organization.

Shame.  Wish you could just shoot them on the border.  Hell, I wish we could shoot them on the borders.  Bully's, murderers and pushers. <_<
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on June 01, 2011, 12:01:04 AM

Shame.  Wish you could just shoot them on the border.  Hell, I wish we could shoot them on the borders.  Bully's, murderers and pushers. <_<
Most of them are local bikers who either join the HA individually or with a merger of their gang.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Hell, let them have another biker war:  that's why the Rock Machine MC has practically disappeared.  They cull each other.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2011, 05:45:34 AM

Hell, let them have another biker war:  that's why the Rock Machine MC has practically disappeared.  They cull each other.
yet, the HA alwyas strive.  The Bandidos are still strong in the US, I think?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on June 02, 2011, 07:36:54 AM
yet, the HA alwyas strive.  The Bandidos are still strong in the US, I think?

More out west and the south, not so much east coast.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2011, 05:45:34 AM

Too many innocents get caught in the crossfire.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Reading more on this, it is even more ridiculous.

There seems to be a conflict between the judges of the Superior court and the prosecutors over the mega-trial issue.  And there's this lack of resources for the mega-trials too.

So, the judge decided the criminals could not be tried all at once, as part of a criminal organization, but rather individually, one trial for each set of accusations.
So, first, the murders and the plotting for murder.  Than, the drug trafficking.  So, according to this scheme, the Hell's accused of drug traffick were to be tried in some 10-12 years from now...

Really, something will have to be done politically, provincial and federal, to remedy this issue and setting clear ground rules that a judge can't escape for this type of trial.