News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hey X-gen bosses - How do you deal with Y-ers?

Started by Martinus, May 31, 2011, 03:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogh

Zanza

Quote from: Martim Silva on May 31, 2011, 11:59:21 AMAlso, young people are screwed. They get very low wages, often have no job security and their perspective of having a stable work/family life are slim to none. Our young generations don't have a future, and many want out. Going to Germany is an idea for many. The Goethe Institut recorded an increase of 300% of the number of unemployed people registering themselves to learn German, so that they can go to Germany.
Did they study engineering?

Zanza

Quote from: bogh on May 31, 2011, 01:48:28 PM
What's the definition of Y and X?
Roughly the generations born before 1980 and after 1980.

bogh

Heh. Being born mid 1979, I was unsure of my category...

bogh

Well, to answer the original question;

I can't really tell a difference between the Xs and Ys. Plenty of variation in both groups. If anything, the more recent graduates are more focused and have done less dicking about then my generation (since rules are stricter and requirements are higher) when it comes to education. I have no qualms about filling my currently vacant positions with younger people. I am probably just not quite old enough to be really cranky yet.

The Brain

Guys younger than me haven't done military service. Which kind of says it all.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on May 31, 2011, 02:27:55 PM
Swedish army? They didn't miss much :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on May 31, 2011, 02:51:03 PM

FUCK YOU
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on May 31, 2011, 03:26:36 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 31, 2011, 02:51:03 PM

FUCK YOU
i am not wearing a sheep custom for you... again

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

dps

The last American generation that was hardworking, as a group, was the generation that was born before WWII.  All the generations since then have been lazy, as a whole.  When you're hiring, you look for the exceptions, the people who aren't typical for their generation.

Legbiter

Quote from: dps on May 31, 2011, 07:01:23 PM
The last American generation that was hardworking, as a group, was the generation that was born before WWII.  All the generations since then have been lazy, as a whole.  When you're hiring, you look for the exceptions, the people who aren't typical for their generation.

Hell, I had my first real 8 hour job when I was 13 shoveling horseshit for the entire summer. The only perk besides pay was horse riding when the owners went home for the day.  :lol:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on May 31, 2011, 06:50:58 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2011, 06:29:41 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 31, 2011, 06:24:04 AM
Yeah. What I think is one of the reasons is that people expect their pay to be a direct function of education/degree, which is simply not the case.

I'd rather hire someone without a degree with 5 years' experience on the job or a freshly-minted DD-214 than someone with a degree right out of college whose only experience the last 5 years was date rape and sleeping in their own beer bong vomit.

Are people you hire among the best paid individuals in your country?

It's a Fortune 150 company, so they make decent bank for what they do.  Ergo, they usually wind up hiring the date rapists and vomit sleepers.  That's why our HR changed their name to "Talent Acquisition".

Monoriu

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  We prefer fresh graduates.  They stick around for the next 30 years.  People with 5 years of experience all leave in droves within the first year, if not the first month. 

Monoriu

CountDeMoney