News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Late Republican Rome

Started by Eddie Teach, May 30, 2011, 10:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which 1st Century BC Roman do you most resemble?

Marius
2 (6.3%)
Sulla
2 (6.3%)
Lucullus
1 (3.1%)
Soranus
2 (6.3%)
Cicero
4 (12.5%)
Caesar
1 (3.1%)
Pompey
1 (3.1%)
Crassus
0 (0%)
Cato
4 (12.5%)
Clodius
0 (0%)
Brutus
1 (3.1%)
Antony
2 (6.3%)
Octavian
11 (34.4%)
Other
1 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on May 31, 2011, 06:02:59 PM
Either Sulla (sans the whole homosexuality thing) or else Octavian.  And yes, if I were in his position, I'd be just as out of control as he was when he was a young man consolidating power.  As Cersei said, "when you play the game of thrones..."
I don't think Octavian was out of control consolidating power.  I think he was hyper-self-controlled.  His proscriptions were purely for political purposes, and if the political need was to proscribe his own kin, so be it.  His care in preserving mos maiorum when taking absolute power is evidence of that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Herod thought the world would be better off without the baby jesus, and I agree. So I'll cast my lot with him.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Medieval morality >>>>>> classical morality. Jesus was great for the world.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 31, 2011, 08:51:54 PM
Medieval morality >>>>>> classical morality. Jesus was great for the world.

I disagree. Very generally speaking, I'd say on the whole life was better in the pre christian roman empire and roman republic than in the medieval period. And I think major cause of the difference in the quality of life was the difference between the religions/philosophies.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Medieval generals tended not to slaughter every man of military age in towns that threw open their gates for them.

PRC

Quintus Sertorius, because I have a white doe.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 31, 2011, 09:13:38 PM
Medieval generals tended not to slaughter every man of military age in towns that threw open their gates for them.
Tell the First Crusade citizens of Jerusalem that... wait - you can't!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: PRC on May 31, 2011, 09:41:11 PM
Quintus Sertorius, because I have a white doe.
It take more than dough to make a citizen of Rome.

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on May 31, 2011, 09:45:12 PM

Well, I did say tended, as in there were exceptions, but Jerusalem was stormed so not applicable anyway. :contract:

Razgovory

Yes, but that doesn't have anything to do what he said.  Those people lived almost an thousand years ago.  You really can't tell them anything.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

I don't think I particularly fall under any of those categories, so I voted for Marius since I like him.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 31, 2011, 09:55:22 PM

Well, I did say tended, as in there were exceptions, but Jerusalem was stormed so not applicable anyway. :contract:

Actually, yes and no, or you are both right.

The "progress" in morality has been, almost consistently, about extending the boundaries of "us". Christian medieval morality extended this from "Romans" to "Christians" - which is quite a progress, admittedly - but once you were outside of these boundaries (like Muslims or Jews of Jerusalem) you still got yourself slaughtered.

Since then, at least in the West, we have moved beyond, by extending this to "heathen", "atheists", some groups of "deviants" (e.g. blasphemers, gays, single women etc.), other races and, eventually, the whole of humanity. The animal rights movement is essentially, at its core, an attempt to extend the boundaries to animals (or at least mammals and birds).

Sahib

What's your evidence of customary slaughter of surrendering towns in classical era?
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 31, 2011, 10:47:55 PM
I don't think I particularly fall under any of those categories, so I voted for Marius since I like him.

fag
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive