News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Late Republican Rome

Started by Eddie Teach, May 30, 2011, 10:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which 1st Century BC Roman do you most resemble?

Marius
2 (6.3%)
Sulla
2 (6.3%)
Lucullus
1 (3.1%)
Soranus
2 (6.3%)
Cicero
4 (12.5%)
Caesar
1 (3.1%)
Pompey
1 (3.1%)
Crassus
0 (0%)
Cato
4 (12.5%)
Clodius
0 (0%)
Brutus
1 (3.1%)
Antony
2 (6.3%)
Octavian
11 (34.4%)
Other
1 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 30, 2011, 11:11:24 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 30, 2011, 10:48:56 PM

Soranus- shouted Rome's "secret name" in the Forum, mortally horrifying everyone, apparently out of disgust rather than mischief
What was the secret name?
"It is probable, therefore, that Hirpa, or some variant thereof, was the secret name of the goddess and of the city over which she spread her protection."

"The alphabet has evolved since that time, and converted to the modern form, the word is Evouia. Plato translates this word for us as life."
Google FTW.

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 30, 2011, 11:29:03 PM
They died in the 2d century BC so not in right timeframe.

As for Ed, his love affair with proscriptions has blinded him to everything else about Sulla. :contract:

Sulla did everything right. You steal his command, he takes your city. You send one of his to the hospital, he puts thousands into the morgue.

Fuck Marius.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on May 31, 2011, 07:03:05 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 30, 2011, 11:11:24 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 30, 2011, 10:48:56 PM

Soranus- shouted Rome's "secret name" in the Forum, mortally horrifying everyone, apparently out of disgust rather than mischief
What was the secret name?
"It is probable, therefore, that Hirpa, or some variant thereof, was the secret name of the goddess and of the city over which she spread her protection."

"The alphabet has evolved since that time, and converted to the modern form, the word is Evouia. Plato translates this word for us as life."
Google FTW.

Did you get that from some astrology website? :rolleyes:  Nobody knows what the secret name of Rome was.  I don't think Google will do you much good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on May 31, 2011, 11:13:59 AM
Did you get that from some astrology website? :rolleyes:  Nobody knows what the secret name of Rome was.  I don't think Google will do you much good.
If anyone actually claims that they know what the secret name for Roma was, you'll be ready for them.  :rolleyes:

There are some educated guesses, like Hirpa, and some web sites that say things like "[ i ]t is probable, therefore, that Hirpa, or some variant thereof, was the secret name of the goddess and of the city over which she spread her protection."  One can state an opinion about probabilities without stating that something is known for sure.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Norgy

Brutus or Antony. Flaws = good.

Valmy

You sick fucks really think you are like Octavian?  Remind me never to get on your bad side.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

grumbles beat me to the punch. :(

Eddie Teach

I went with Cicero. I'm too soft to make a good Roman aristocrat.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on May 31, 2011, 11:32:26 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 31, 2011, 11:13:59 AM
If anyone actually claims that they know what the secret name for Roma was, you'll be ready for them.  :rolleyes:

There are some educated guesses, like Hirpa, and some web sites that say things like "[ i ]t is probable, therefore, that Hirpa, or some variant thereof, was the secret name of the goddess and of the city over which she spread her protection."  One can state an opinion about probabilities without stating that something is known for sure.

The question was "What is Rome's Secret name", asked by Tim.  Since it is unknown Google will not help you.  The Hirpa thing seems to come from this http://lovestarz.com/roma.html

The Second sentence comes from some Wiccan thingy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2011, 11:40:47 AM
You sick fucks really think you are like Octavian?  Remind me never to get on your bad side.

They know what he became, not how he got there. At least, that's what I suspect to be the case.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Eddie Teach

Speaking of which, I just ordered McCullough's Antony & Cleopatra. Look forward to being appalled. :thumbsup:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 31, 2011, 02:43:15 PM
Speaking of which, I just ordered McCullough's Antony & Cleopatra. Look forward to being appalled. :thumbsup:
Not nearly as good as her earlier Rome stuff, but still well above the average for historical fiction.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sahib

Why would Plato know or care about the secret name of Rome  :hmm:
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Caliga

Dude was a total gossip whore. :)

Camerus

Either Sulla (sans the whole homosexuality thing) or else Octavian.  And yes, if I were in his position, I'd be just as out of control as he was when he was a young man consolidating power.  As Cersei said, "when you play the game of thrones..."