Main Menu

Can Turkey Unify the Arabs?

Started by jimmy olsen, May 30, 2011, 06:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 02, 2011, 02:18:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 02, 2011, 02:12:37 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 01, 2011, 09:23:56 AM
But that may well say more about us than them.  The "OMG we gotta get more women into engineering!" thing always makes me laugh-- couldn't it just be that an engineering career just doesn't appeal to as many women?

Not surprising that you would laugh at something complex.

Go on.

I took that as a compliment.  It's clear that Garbon believes you have a sophisticated sense of humor.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on May 31, 2011, 08:41:31 PM
The secret to creating tolerant societies has never been difficult to figure out:  educate the women.  I think you will find that every society with well-educated* women is a tolerant one with sustainable birth rates; every one without well-educated women is an intolerant society with unsustainable birth rates.  And the transition comes with equal female education.

As someone said, this isn't rocket science.

*i.e. women who get primary education through professional degrees on a par with men.
Where does Russia lie on your tolerance scale?

The Brain

If the Arabs ever unite nothing will be able to stand against them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

In some way it does make sense for Turkey to unify the Arabs.  Geographically they're a right fit.  There might be some problems that are cultural in nature, though.  :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on June 02, 2011, 02:26:22 PM

Somewhere between Slargos and a swarm of angry killer bees.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on May 31, 2011, 10:19:42 PM
But does women getting educated make society more tolerant, or is a more tolerant society more likely to allow/provide women to pursue higher education?

I have heard it said that the admission of women in large numbers into law school signficantly changed the way law was taught. Prior to them law was taught in a rather abusive manner - think the paperchase prof on steriods.  When women were introduced to the classroom that kind of conduct was moderated.

grumbler

Above South Africa or Ukraine, below Sweden or Switzerland.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Quote from: The Brain on June 02, 2011, 02:27:02 PM

A united West?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

Quote from: Siege on June 05, 2011, 01:34:21 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 02, 2011, 02:27:02 PM

A united West?

I was joking. A crippled pygmy could stand against them. They are incredibly backwards.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2011, 02:33:30 PM

Pffft. Surely it's easier to handle Russia than killer bees.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 05, 2011, 02:25:58 PM

Easier still to handle the cabinet salesmen.

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on June 05, 2011, 03:14:18 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 05, 2011, 02:25:58 PM

Easier still to handle the cabinet salesmen.

:lol:

Oh, Raz. At least you are trying.

I'll buy you a beer sometime. Regale you with stories of the wonders of cabinetry and the sales thereof.

The Brain

You've been out of the cabinet for quite some time.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on June 01, 2011, 02:24:37 PM
Yeah, but then ESPN would feel compelled to waste valuable airtime with women's football, just like they do with women's basketball.

ESPN has what, 6 channels now?  They're "compelled" to air women's basketball like they're compelled to air bass fishing and rodeo.

That said, I agree Title IX is a travesty.