Zuckerberg goes on a diet: Only meat he eats is what he kills

Started by garbon, May 29, 2011, 01:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

^_^

Mart would be begging the executioner to chop off the feet.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

alfred russel

At the risk of taking up for Zuckerberg... I think many of us would be uncomfortable killing all the animals we eat; especially those of us that eat meat almost every meal. If he wants to do this exercise on some sort of personal quest to understand food ethics, why not? He is a 20 something billionaire. He has to do something wtih his time, and this is better than having professional video crews put together films of you doing jet ski stunts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7OYLWHtCDk
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2011, 09:21:28 PM
At the risk of taking up for Zuckerberg... I think many of us would be uncomfortable killing all the animals we eat; especially those of us that eat meat almost every meal. If he wants to do this exercise on some sort of personal quest to understand food ethics, why not? He is a 20 something billionaire. He has to do something wtih his time, and this is better than having professional video crews put together films of you doing jet ski stunts.

There seem like shorter cuts to figuring out "food ethics."

The problems are, firstly, that he's not special--the ninety billion dumbest, meanest people who ever lived knew how to kill animals with their own efforts--and secondly, it seems like he's fetishized a disturbing practice in an effort to subvert the obvious moral problem he has with it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

It's not a disturbing practice.  Quit being a homosexual, goddamn it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Of course it's a disturbing practice, at least to many consumers.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on May 29, 2011, 09:35:02 PM

There seem like shorter cuts to figuring out "food ethics."

The problems are, firstly, that he's not special--the ninety billion dumbest, meanest people who ever lived knew how to kill animals with their own efforts--and secondly, it seems like he's fetishized a disturbing practice in an effort to subvert the obvious moral problem he has with it.

Why is there a problem with him not being special? Is he claiming to be special because he slaughters animals?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

In a "I gazed into the abyss, the abyss gazed also, and I got her number" sort of way.  I may be overanalyzing it.

But it really does seem like something a bunch of rich hippies would get into to feel morally superior to the common person who eats his hamburgers at the end of a long distribution chain, doesn't it?
Kinemalogue

11B4V

Quote"He cut the throat of the goat with a knife, which is the most kind way to do it," Cool told Fortune.

What's the big deal?

Teaching SERE classes, on how to prep food, we used smash the goat's head with a hammer. Ball-peel hammer right between the eyes. Rabbits you grab by the back legs and swing it against a tree.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Hey Before, I got the munchies.  Go smash me up some goat.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 29, 2011, 11:11:31 PM
Hey Before, I got the munchies.  Go smash me up some goat.

:lmfao:

IMO the original article is nothing more than a rich person trend. Next they'll start throwing slaughter parties and call themselves sophisticated, chic, vogue, or avant-garde.  I would call them a bunch of homos, but that would insult homos.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

He shouldn't do it because it is ridiculously retarded. First of all, he is taking job from people who do this for a living. Second, if he has a problem with eating meat, then slaughtering animals after he whispers sweet nothings to them is hardly the right way to do it. Third, it is creepy.

Besides, this is extremely inconsistent with the way we already operate as a species/culture. If he is doing that, why not also slaughter each animal that becomes his leather jacket, or personally extract the oil for his car by watching the destruction it brings to the local ecosystems (I think he should only drive on petroleum he sponges out of a drenched pelican or something  :rolleyes: ). He should only eat eggs from chickens he personally raises (the industrial chicken farms are a nightmare much worse than a slaughter house), and only drink water from a well he personally dug up (I'm willing to bet he drinks the one flown on planes from fiji).

In short, it is an idiotic and inconsistent affectation of a hipster.

Martinus

For the record, I'm for the humane treatment of animals, but I'm not a vegetarian. I think vegetarians are idiots too.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on May 30, 2011, 12:47:34 AM

He shouldn't do it because it is ridiculously retarded. First of all, he is taking job from people who do this for a living. Second, if he has a problem with eating meat, then slaughtering animals after he whispers sweet nothings to them is hardly the right way to do it. Third, it is creepy.

Besides, this is extremely inconsistent with the way we already operate as a species/culture. If he is doing that, why not also slaughter each animal that becomes his leather jacket, or personally extract the oil for his car by watching the destruction it brings to the local ecosystems (I think he should only drive on petroleum he sponges out of a drenched pelican or something  :rolleyes: ). He should only eat eggs from chickens he personally raises (the industrial chicken farms are a nightmare much worse than a slaughter house), and only drink water from a well he personally dug up (I'm willing to bet he drinks the one flown on planes from fiji).

In short, it is an idiotic and inconsistent affectation of a hipster.

Couldn't agree more.

Monoriu

What puzzles me most is the need to publicise his latest personal challenges.