News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Susan Boyle

Started by Caliga, April 17, 2009, 07:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What did you think of the Susan Boyle video?

She's amazing
8 (18.6%)
She's good but it's the "packaging" that moved people
19 (44.2%)
She's not good, it's the story that moved people
1 (2.3%)
She's too ugly for me to be able to appreciate her
3 (7%)
Susan who?
12 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Caliga

Quote from: Weatherman on April 17, 2009, 08:26:23 AMThey usually don't have TVs inside gas stations.

:huh: Maybe not in the wilderness you reside in....
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Good voice yes, but I think she got through on the looks.. had she been pretty then she'd be just another pop-bimbette. Given that she looks like a tall female hobbit she mere exploits (unintentionally of course) the prejudice against ugly people and the shame people feel at being prejudiced.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Weatherman

Quote from: Caliga on April 17, 2009, 08:34:42 AM
Quote from: Weatherman on April 17, 2009, 08:26:23 AMThey usually don't have TVs inside gas stations.

:huh: Maybe not in the wilderness you reside in....

The ones near me don't. (BP, Shell, Marathon)  :(

KRonn

I was pretty amused at this video. Obviously the panel and audience figured she was just another poorly talented person, as I assume that show gets a lot of. And when she started singing she just wow'd them all! She does have a nice voice, and probably could do ok if she puts out some songs.

BuddhaRhubarb

I don't know what you mean by "packaging"... the judges on those shows are always idiots. (%100 of the time)  She does have a great voice at least that one song. Anyone however can get a makeover if she does indeed get to be a "professional singer" (her term)  after this bit of exposure.

I think people like it so much because she's an underdog, obviously an average middle aged lady who looks a bit odd (at least in show biz land) and most people like stories of people who seem to appear out of nowhere to take the spotlight.

But the truth is no one comes from nowhere. I'm sure she's had a full lfe full of the normal bullshit that makes you a regular person who doesn't get any "breaks" to reveal what talents you may have.

no reason to be cynical about it. It's nice that she gets a few minutes of fame. good for her. I hope it has a positive impact on her life, instead of ruining it as momentary fame does for many.
:p

Zanza

If she was a good-looking, 20-something, nobody would care. So it is all about the packaging. The special thing about her is that she's the total underdog.

The Brain

She is way below my standards. When you compare her to many other women on the internet she just doesn't cut it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Zanza2 on April 18, 2009, 03:25:49 AM
If she was a good-looking, 20-something, nobody would care.

I would care, as it is I closed the youtube link 5 seconds in.

Martinus

Hehe nice one.

Brits seem to have a lot of ordinary people with great voices. I blame booze and no window glazing. :P

Josephus

I don't understand why the general impression seemed to be just because she was ugly she couldn't sing.
Celine Dion has made a career out of it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Brazen

Liep

Quote from: Brazen on April 18, 2009, 02:14:28 PM
An old recording of hers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ

Certainly would never had match that voice with her. Or any Scotsman.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

You guys seen this 12 year old?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVU4IkzMNIo

This is worth it just to see Simon's face.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HisMajestyBOB

I've avoided most of the publicity surrounding her but I'm still sick of her already.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help