Italian Scientists to Stand Trial for Manslaughter in Quake Case

Started by The Larch, May 27, 2011, 06:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on October 22, 2012, 07:07:41 PM
I keep reading and re-reading this and still fail to comprehend how this verdict was possible.... :wacko:
Read it again?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

I keep reading and re-reading this and still fail to comprehend how this verdict was possible.... :wacko:
Italian legal system.  Only a genius could create a system that is so perfectly retarded.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: DGuller on October 22, 2012, 07:38:46 PM
Italian legal system.  Only a genius could create a system that is so perfectly retarded.

They call tghat man: bloody Stupid Johnson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_of_the_Discworld#Bloody_Stupid_Johnson

Brazen

They should have called the inadvisably spelled Labrinth. I have it on good authority he predicts an earthquake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0fk6syQ7iY&feature=fvwrel

This is the fourth channel through which I have made this joke, and no-one's appreciated it yet. I guess they're not all down with the kids and their grime music like me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on October 23, 2012, 05:01:34 AM
This is the fourth channel through which I have made this joke, and no-one's appreciated it yet. I guess they're not all down with the kids and their grime music like me.

Eh, I don't listen to hip hop.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

I am not sure we are actually getting all the facts here.  Otto's post comes close to the news report I heard on the radio.  Apparently after the first series of tremors people in the village were very frightened because they live in such unstable houses and most of them were sleeping outside away from their houses so as to avoid injury if stronger tremors or a stronger quake occurred.  It was in that context that the reasurrance was given.  The report I heard did not distance the other scientists from the reassurance the way Otto has done.

Essentially the message was dont worry, go back to your homes, everything is fine.  Based on the reported evidence that reassurance was grossly negligent.  I have no idea how the civil law of Italy deals with such grossly negligent statements if they cause death or serious injury but based on the result I assume it is criminal conduct.

alfred russel

Ancient Rome had a legal system that was the model for its age. I wonder what kind of government central italy had in the intervening 2000 years?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on October 23, 2012, 11:32:21 AM

Ancient Rome had a legal system that was the model for its age. I wonder what kind of government central italy had in the intervening 2000 years?
:pope:

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2012, 11:06:05 AM

Essentially the message was dont worry, go back to your homes, everything is fine.  Based on the reported evidence that reassurance was grossly negligent.  I have no idea how the civil law of Italy deals with such grossly negligent statements if they cause death or serious injury but based on the result I assume it is criminal conduct.
but the scientists deny saying this.  The bureaucrat did say so, but scientists deny telling him that and there's no evidence they did, afaik.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 23, 2012, 01:19:15 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2012, 11:06:05 AM

but the scientists deny saying this.  The bureaucrat did say so, but scientists deny telling him that and there's no evidence they did, afaik.

Neither of us was in the Court room during the year long trial to hear the evidence to the contrary.  Also what was the evidence related to the scientists telling people the assurance was dead wrong.

Neil

Exactly.  So if we're not in court to hear the evidence, always assume that the court got it wrong.  Lawyers are like journalists, only more detrimental to society.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on October 23, 2012, 02:42:54 PM
Exactly.  So if we're not in court to hear the evidence, always assume that the court got it wrong.  Lawyers are like journalists, only more detrimental to society.

There's nothing wrong with journalists or lawyers. :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on October 23, 2012, 02:43:41 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 23, 2012, 02:42:54 PM
There's nothing wrong with journalists or lawyers. :mad:
Not as people (well, not all of them), but rather professionally.  They just get everything wrong, every time.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.