News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pride of Nations

Started by Tamas, May 27, 2011, 02:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

I am putting the game on the shelf until they patch it up some more.  The penalties for success are just too irksome at the moment.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Drakken

New beta patch is up.

Belgium (:w00t:) and the Ottomantards (<_<) are now playable.

Quote*fixed: Warscore evaluation and cost of treaty proposals
*changed: 'NON' nation is always hostile.
*fixed: AI siege bug
*changed: Colonial Merchant can augments dev level up to 15%.
*fixed: Defensive treaty could be accepted while not being valid in the end.
*fixed: you can't build a depot upgrade over a depot in construction.
*changed: some silly cases of crisis.
*changed: you will get back military control and cities, from non hostile nations, in some cases, in regions you legitimally own.
*fixed: yet another memory leak (a significant one)
*added: AI will now explain why she refuses a treaty proposal.
*changed: Drain lands should now work only in swamps
*changed: AI has more chance to accept peace.
*added: Relations with a tribal will change, depending of your ownership of their capital. If you are in protectorate or better status, they become friendly, otherwise, they become hostile.
* Changed all events with diplomatic item FullWar to War (so peace talks and conditions should be easier for the initial stages). Note that the ACW, the 3rd Carlist War and the Taiping rebellion remain FullWar, i.e. peace is almost impossible except via total victory (or event ending)
* Fixed ACW events (US fleets go to NYC instead of upper Mississippi, fixed too much REB loyalty, especially in Washington)
* Fixed AI reaction in many events (German Unification, Crimean War)
* Added events about natives getting access to more modern weapons later on in game
* Fixed errors in Units & Models
* Added new Leaders portraits (from our Beta team)
* Changed many sprites positions in various regions to improve visibility
* Finally completed Dutch events
* Made TUR and BEL playable in this version (although the game was NOT designed for this initially) - These nations need your feedback to be as interesting as possible for the official patch!
* Added extra events for colonial crisis (Cuba, Philippines, Aceh, Morocco)
*New look for the Tech Tree Navigation interface
*Added new links from the Research Interface to the Tech Tree Navigation
*Solved the problem with Coaling Station Upgrade removing the Port if the CP on the region was not enough
*Solved reported bugs on Rulers (corrected refferences, removed extra spaces that prevented some images to be loaded, etc)
*Added new portraits for German Minors, Spain and China
*Plugged the new placeholder ruler portraits to some factions
*Fixed some Tech Startup problem with some techs that you had ahead of time (you had the second level instead of the prerequisite)

Habbaku

can i be : ottoman empire
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Okay, picked this up again after getting quickly tired of The Witcher 2, and have been doing more military and colonial stuff.

The best troop type, bar none, is the Rebel.  Rebels have infinite replacements and instantly regain all losses of men and organization at the start of each turn.  Rebel units lose every battle, but inflict losses on the level of 1 per three own losses, and they cannot be destroyed.  They can retreat into areas occupied by enemy units without apparent penalty.  They cannot win a battle but cannot lose a war.  The only way to keep them in check is to have several forces approximately twice their size, and alternate chasing them with these forces (because, unlike rebels, regular troops lose organization while marching and need to spend about half their time stationary to maintain combat effectiveness).  This will allow the player to recapture the areas taken by the rebels, and occasionally smack the rebels at good enough odds that one gains experience faster than one loses one's own troops.

The colonial stuff could be a lot clearer.  The key seems to be to balance the increases on one's colonial penetration with increases in one's military control, trading those off as needed (missions, for instance, increase CP but reduce MC).  The initial stages of a colonial venture are expensive (geographic or anthropological expeditions) but gain some prestige.  The military unit "prospectors" is the key here - send them out to the frontier and then prospect around them to get knowledge of the resources as well as gaining CP.  After you have 20 CP, switch to chief bribing, then chief treaties, then chief concessions, until you have 35 CP.  Station a brigade or so of troops there (with a general that promotes loyalty, if you have one) and wait until MC is high enough to build a military outpost.  You might have to launch some punitive expeditions with your troops to hurry along CP.  While doing this, create merchants and then trading posts in the areas where you have 35CP.  Replace them as they attrite away.  When CP is around 50, you can start building roads and sending in the immigrants.  I'm still trying to work out what it takes to create protectorates and colonies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Stonewall

Colonies and protectorates are buildable once the average CP of the entire geographic sub-region is high enough.  Once you have a colony in place, it will eventually lead to all the land owned by the natives being transferred to your ownership. 

It works kind of weird at times.  Example: As the USA, I get colony status on the Cherokee (who inhabit numerous states) once I get the CP in Oklahoma high enough.  Since Oklahoma is the smallest multi-province sub-region, that is the one that CP increases are focused on for the colony threshold.  Ignore building up CP in neighboring Cherokee states because the only one that matters is the one where their capital is.  Africa works the same way.  There is a map overlay that shows the breakdown of sub-regions.  I think AGEOD terms it as administrative districts or something along those lines.
"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

grumbler

Quote from: Stonewall on July 05, 2011, 01:05:02 PM
Colonies and protectorates are buildable once the average CP of the entire geographic sub-region is high enough.  Once you have a colony in place, it will eventually lead to all the land owned by the natives being transferred to your ownership. 
I have succeeded in making protectorates and colonies, but don't know why some attempts succeeded and others didn't.  There may be a random element, or it may be random based on CP values, or it may be something else.  The ludicrously useless rules don't say.

I am investigating whether or not you have to have 100% military control to create a colony.  I don't think so, but it would seem anecdotally that military control plays some role in a successful creation of a colony from a protectorate.

Any enlightenment you could share would help.

I see no way to upgrade units when new technologies make existing units obsolete.  Is this also your understanding?

Bayraktar!

Stonewall

Quote from: grumbler on July 05, 2011, 01:20:14 PM

I have succeeded in making protectorates and colonies, but don't know why some attempts succeeded and others didn't.  There may be a random element, or it may be random based on CP values, or it may be something else.  The ludicrously useless rules don't say.

I am investigating whether or not you have to have 100% military control to create a colony.  I don't think so, but it would seem anecdotally that military control plays some role in a successful creation of a colony from a protectorate.

Any enlightenment you could share would help.

I see no way to upgrade units when new technologies make existing units obsolete.  Is this also your understanding?

MC is not necessary to gain colony status.   I have successfully "colonized" all of the American Indians and never sent even a single military unit into their territory.  I have had revolts following colonization that required military units to quell, but nothing prior to colonization and territorial transfer.

Military unit upgrades come over time.  I'm not sure exactly how they work, but eventually your base units and then your elements begin converting to the upgrade.  It is a automatic upgrade, but comes randomly.  I have no idea if the upgrades drain your replacement pool as in most of my games where upgrading starts to happen, a new beta patch comes out and I immediately restart.
"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

Ed Anger

No real patch yet. I'm glad I bought this game.

pfft.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Alcibiades

Hmmm, been playing this game for a few days now, and it appears I'm having a problem replenishing my units in the American West.

Playing as the U.S. and kicking the Cherokee, but units dont seem to be re-gaining strength despite having full supply ( I moved them back to St. Louis after a year even, as they weren't getting any manpower back.   My officer/conscript ratio is 229/315 so I should have plenty of men to replenish these units....but they aren't.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?  I plopped down a supply depot in Leavenworth, built a supply wagon, and when neither of those worked moved the stack back to St. Louis all to no avail.   :mellow:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

sbr

Have you been buying replacement units?  That is what actually replaces loses to your units.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

grumbler

Quote from: Alcibiades on July 17, 2011, 04:46:32 PM
Nope.
F3 screen IIRC.  I had to find this out the hard way, as well.  It isn't clear to me how fractional element replacements work, but it seems like a replacement element will replace about 10 "companies"* of missing troops.  The number above the element symbol is the number of "companies" you need to replace to have all your units at full strength.

*That might not be the term

Bayraktar!

Alcibiades

Yeah, figured it out the hard way as well against the Cherokee of all people.  Lost an artillery unit and nearly a dragoon unit to attrition while wondering why my men weren't replenishing.  :frusty:

Syt

So, is there an ETA for an "official" patch? I want to hold off of the beta patches for now. I'm asking because I'm eyeing Supreme Ruler: Cold War right now.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.