Looks like it is time for a new smartphone...

Started by Berkut, May 26, 2011, 09:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: Zoupa on September 24, 2011, 11:44:27 PM
k, I know shit all about all this, so is this thing a good phone?

http://www.fido.ca/web/Fido.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=Smartphones&smartphone=android&skuid=NEXUSSBLKF&lang=en

Definitely, but a couple things to bear in mind:

It has 16GB of internal flash memory for storage, which is awesome & all but there's no micro-SD card slot, so you won't be able to expand beyond that or swap SD cards.  That may not be a big issue for a lot of people, but personally I prefer having flexibility to expand/swap.

Also, while it's still quite capable today, the single core 1GHz processor will be a little outdated within the next year or so.  Again, this may not be a huge issue to a lot of people, but I would think app developers will start (or already have started) developing apps with the new dual-core mobile processors in mind.  If you have to sign on for a 3-year commitment, I'd probably do some future-proofing & go with something that has a dual-core processor.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zoupa

Hmm, ok. They also offer this one:

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/mobile-phones/all-phones/LG-LGP990.jsp

the LG Optimus 2x. It "only" comes with 8gigs and Android software or whatever 2.2 froyo.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Zoupa on September 26, 2011, 02:55:51 PM
the LG Optimus 2x. It "only" comes with 8gigs and Android software or whatever 2.2 froyo.

2.2 shouldn't be a dealbreaker; there still aren't a lot of phones being shipped out with 2.3.  The Optimus is a much stronger contender, IMO.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 26, 2011, 07:12:17 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 26, 2011, 02:55:51 PM

2.2 shouldn't be a dealbreaker; there still aren't a lot of phones being shipped out with 2.3.  The Optimus is a much stronger contender, IMO.

Ditto, though it seems like some Android smartphone manufacturers are doing a better job than others at getting the latest version of Android out to their phones (though sometimes the holdup is at the carrier).  HTC, Motorola & Samsung seem to be better at this than others. 

But I don't see differences between 2.2 and 2.3 to be a dealbreaker.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HisMajestyBOB

Where's a good place to look for used phones?
I want to get a decent 3G and GSM 850/900/1800/1900 unlocked phone before I go overseas, and would rather not pay out the ass too much. I've scanned Amazon.com, but I don't want to get burned on a $200+ lemon.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 03, 2011, 06:49:25 AM
Pawn shops?

Huh, it never occurred to me to look in actual physical stores, rather than online.  :blush:
Most large retailers never carry used stuff anyway, but maybe the local pawn shop will have one.

derspiess

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 03, 2011, 12:50:02 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 03, 2011, 06:49:25 AM
Pawn shops?

Huh, it never occurred to me to look in actual physical stores, rather than online.  :blush:
Most large retailers never carry used stuff anyway, but maybe the local pawn shop will have one.

Dunno if they'll have any way to tell, but if you buy a used phone make sure it has a clean ESN number.  I would imagine that pawn shops are full of stolen or "lost" phones.

Ebay is actually an excellent source for used phones.  Not sure if they require the seller to mention the ESN status, but pretty much all reputable sellers will mention whether or not it has a clean ESN.

Josquius

I don`t  get the logic in buying a second hand smartphone. Surely the thing with smartphones is you get them on a contract from a supplier because you need a data plan to be able to afford to use them.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on October 05, 2011, 01:20:00 AM
I don`t  get the logic in buying a second hand smartphone. Surely the thing with smartphones is you get them on a contract from a supplier because you need a data plan to be able to afford to use them.

:huh:  It makes sense if your current contract has not expired and you need to replace a broken phone that can't be replaced by the warranty (and you don't have some sort of equipment protection plan).  Your carrier is not going to do you any favors in this case, other than 'allow' you to pay the ridiculous off-contract full MSRP for a new phone.

Also makes sense if you're traveling somewhere your current phone will not work, and you're only going to be traveling for a few weeks or months.

Plus, some people just hate the 2-year commitment.  Which then means their options are:
*pay through the nose for a new phone with decent specs,
*get a more reasonably price but lower spec new unlocked phone,
or
*get a dirt cheap used phone

HisMajestyBOB

And in my case, I'll be overseas for a year and will likely travel a lot in the future, so I need to get an unlocked phone I can slip SIM cards into.

I've found pretty cheap used phones on eBay, in particular iPhone 3s and Samsung Galaxies. Both ~$200. For new phones, I'm partial to Sony's Xperia X10 mini pro, which is $360. I think I'll go for one of the used phones, and hope I don't get ripped off.

Lucidor

A friend has the Motorola Defy, which at least here is pretty cheap. Word is you have to flash the BIOS to get the most out of it. It's durable, waterproof, shock proof, and guaranteed in cold weather.

HisMajestyBOB

Anyone have experience with the LG P500 Optimus One?
It looks pretty nice for a cheaper phone.
And it's name basically is "Optimus Prime"  :nerd:

Alcibiades

Loving the Samsung Galaxy 2, really nice phone and nice screen.  Battery lasts only about 24h with normal use, though.

Switched to sprint, it sucks balls.  I love calls not going through when it says i have 5 bars inside my house, and the internet not working at all when it says its 3g.  Fuckers.   :glare:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain