News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Crisis in Yemen; Will There Be Civil War?

Started by jimmy olsen, May 25, 2011, 01:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Viking on June 05, 2011, 12:31:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 05, 2011, 12:16:12 PM
Don't swedes have this own way of displaying intolerance?

like this

and thats just for inviting some jews over for tennis...

I love it. Not a white face in the whole crowd, yet this has become "Swedish".  :D

Neil

You're the one who let them into the country.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Slargos

Quote from: Neil on June 05, 2011, 01:53:29 PM
You're the one who let them into the country.

Well I didn't vote for them.

I've been lobbying against this travesty all my life. Short of physical violence I have done my part.

Of course, one could argue that it is indeed my duty to act more forcefully, and it is indeed my suspicion that I have let down my people.

It's the million dollar question. Do you still have a duty towards a people that has forsaken you?

Razgovory

Oh, I was unaware Sweden moved out from underneath you leaving you in Norway.  I assumed that you had moved to Norway.  I bet that was traumatic.  I can't imagine my reaction if I woke up one morning and found that Missouri had snuck off in the night leaving me in Texas.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: Slargos on June 05, 2011, 01:58:13 PM

I've been lobbying against this travesty all my life. Short of physical violence I have done my part.

Well there's your problem.  Freikorps don't form themselves, you know.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: jamesww on June 05, 2011, 07:06:16 AMWhen you were predicting a couple of months ago, that this crisis would end with a political solution, when I was warning of civil war ?  :hmm:
But that wouldn't end the Shia revolt or the problems with Al-Qaeda.  I'm surprised this has ended with shells in Sanaa but I don't think Yemen's ever been really preaceful.
Let's bomb Russia!

Slargos

Quote from: Habbaku on June 05, 2011, 05:29:48 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 05, 2011, 01:58:13 PM

Well there's your problem.  Freikorps don't form themselves, you know.

You make a fair point, but I've already noted that I have quite possibly failed in this duty.  :sleep:

Razgovory

I think we can all agree that Slargos is a failure.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2011, 04:19:27 PM
I think we can all agree that Slargos is a failure.

:lol:

Man, you keep throwing stones in your little glass cellar.

jimmy olsen

Looks like things are intensifying again.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44575857/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/

QuoteYemen protesters overrun base of presidential guard

Violence re-erupted in Sanaa on Sunday, death toll since then nearly 50

msnbc.com news services
updated 9/19/2011 2:18:21 PM ET 2011-09-19T18:18:21

SANAA, Yemen — Thousands of protesters armed with sticks and backed by armed military defectors overran a base of the elite Presidential Guards in Yemen's capital as fighting erupted across much of Sanaa on Monday. The death toll for the worst violence in months rose to nearly 50 in two days of clashes.

The protesters, joined by soldiers from the rebel 1st Armored Division, stormed the base without firing a single shot and seized a large number of firearms, according to witnesses and security officials. The anti-government force used sandbags to erect barricades as they advanced, providing their allied troops with the shelter they needed in case they took fire from inside the base. Republican Guards' troops did not fire at the protesters and eventually fled, leaving their weapons behind.
Story: Yemeni forces open fire on protesters, 26 killed

Violence has flared anew in Yemen in frustration after President Ali Abdullah Saleh dashed hopes raised by the U.S. last week that he was about to relinquish power after 33 years of autocratic rule.

At least 23 were killed on Monday and 26 on Sunday, almost all of them protesters, according to security and medical officials. Dozens have been wounded.
PhotoBlog: Snipers shoot protesters in Yemen

Yemeni troops fired into the air to disperse anti-government protesters Monday and two people were killed, including a small child, and several others were rushed to hospital with gunshot wounds.

One man was pronounced dead while several others had a variety of gunshot wounds, according to a Reuters witness.

"Help me, oh my God look at his slaughter!" said the father of a boy who died from a gunshot wound to the head.

"We were just in the car on Hayel Street (near the fighting). I stepped out to get some food and left my two boys in the car and I heard the older one scream. The little one was shot straight through the head."

The fall of the base into protesters' hands is a significant development in the seven-month-old uprising against Saleh, who went to Saudi Arabia for medical treatment after a June attack on his Sanaa compound and has not returned to Yemen since.

It signals what could be the start of a final showdown between the Republican Guards, led by Saleh's son and heir apparent Ahmed, and the soldiers of the 1st Armored Division, another elite outfit that has fought in all of Yemen's wars over the past two decades, and their tribal allies in the capital.

The Republican Guards and the Special Forces, also led by the president's son, have long been thought to be the regime's last line of defense and Monday's events could significantly help the protesters' cause against the regime.

The 1st Armored Division, along with its commander, mutinied and joined the protesters about six months ago, dealing a serious blow to Saleh's efforts to cling on to power in the face of the popular uprising.

"It was unbelievable," said protester Ameen Ali Saleh of storming the base on the west side of a major road that runs through the heart of Sanaa. "We acted like it was us who had the weapons, not the soldiers."

To other protesters, the fall of the base may signal the near-collapse of the regime.

"Now the remainder of the regime will finally crumble," said another protester, Mohammed al-Wasaby. "Our will is more effective than weapons. The soldiers loyal to Saleh just ran away."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

That's not really news Tim.  Violence in Yemen is a dog bites man story.

Josquius

It's not looking good to put it charitably. 

I disagree, I think a change of regime there would be a good thing.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on September 19, 2011, 07:22:53 PM

It's not looking good to put it charitably. 

I disagree, I think a change of regime there would be a good thing.
Unlike Libya or Egypt, it looks like there's a good chance of Taliban types taking over there.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Josquius

Indeed. The place is already anarchic and constantly attacking the west (pirates) already. At least a Talibanesque could bring some stability, and then, when the people realise it wasn`t the best idea in the world, they can have a do over.
██████
██████
██████