News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How would you judge this guy?

Started by Martinus, May 24, 2011, 02:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/05/24/roommate-of-gay-suicide-student-pleads-not-guilty-to-intimidation/

A story from several months ago - a roommate of a gay teen posts a video of him fucking a guy on youtube. The gay teen offs himself. Gays everywhere cry "murder".

I think this is excessive.

Your thoughts?

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Oh yeah, that happened at Rutgers.  I think the chick in the case pled guilty to some lesser charge and ended up with like community service.  Agree that this is nowhere close to an act of murder.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

I'm conflicted. On one hand, I want homophobes to get their comeuppance.

On the other, do we really want to advertise that "saying mean things about us" is our kryptonite.  :ph34r:

Valmy

10 years in prison?  For filming somebody?  Holy shit.

Is there some sort of precedent for that draconian a sentence for being an asshole?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

On the one hand, you want the scumbag to suffer.  Humiliating someone so publicly and destroying them by violating their privacy should be a serious crime. 

However, it's not, the law hasn't caught up yet to the vast potential for personal destruction over the Internet, so going after him for murder is excessive.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 24, 2011, 02:50:32 PM
10 years in prison?  For filming somebody?  Holy shit.

Is there some sort of precedent for that draconian a sentence for being an asshole?

Hitler was an asshole too.  :rolleyes:

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

How is this any different from gay rights activists "outing" someone as gay?  The motivation might differ, but how does the effect on the outed person differ?

Razgovory

How do you even know he was a homophobe?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on May 24, 2011, 02:55:37 PM
How do you even know he was a homophobe?

It says so in the article.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on May 24, 2011, 02:55:20 PM
How is this any different from gay rights activists "outing" someone as gay?  The motivation might differ, but how does the effect on the outed person differ?
Gay rights activists probably don't out someone by posting videos of them having sex.

Martinus

Well, motivation is one of the key factors when we determine someone's guilt and the punishment so I don't see how it is irrelevant.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on May 24, 2011, 02:58:36 PM

Well, motivation is one of the key factors when we determine someone's guilt and the punishment so I don't see how it is irrelevant.

Did the people who posted the video intend for the guy to die?  'Cause if that was the motivation, their plan was really stupid and they were real lucky that it worked.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on May 24, 2011, 02:58:36 PM

:wacko:

No, not at all.  "Motive" plays some small role in sentencing, but none at all in determining guilt.  As long as you mean to do what you are doing, it matters not one bit why you are doing it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.