News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How would you judge this guy?

Started by Martinus, May 24, 2011, 02:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Anyway, had to dig for this thread, but:

QuoteDharun Ravi sentenced to 30 days in jail for Rutgers Tyler Clementi spycam case

CBS/AP) NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. - A judge sentenced former Rutgers student Dharun Ravi today to 30 days in jail for using a webcam to spy on his roommate's intimate encounter with another man.

Pictures: Rutgers Spycam Trial

Ravi, 20, was also placed on three years' probation

"Our society has every right to expect zero tolerance for intolerance," Judge Glenn Berman said in imposing far less than the maximum, 10 years behind bars.

In addition, Ravi was ordered to get counseling and pay $10,000 toward a program to help victims of hate crimes.

Berman told Ravi to report to the Middlesex County Adult Correctional facility on May 31.

In handing down Monday's sentence, the judge told Ravi that while someone might argue the first spying attempt was a foolish prank, "You cannot make or milk that argument a second time."

The judge also scolded Ravi for deleting scores of text messages and tweets and trying to influence a witness. At the same time, Berman said Ravi has spent the past 20 months in "exile" since his arrest. And the judge also pointed out that Ravi was not charged in Clementi's death.

Ravi did not speak at his sentencing. But his mother, Sabitha Ravi, tearfully told the judge her son "doesn't have any hatred in his heart towards anybody."

Clementi's father, Joe Clementi, told the judge that Ravi deserved to be punished, saying the young man saw his son as undeserving of basic human decency. The elder Clementi said Ravi "still does not get it" and has no remorse.

Clementi's mother told the court that she is still tormented by the death of her son, CBS New York reports.

"He never really knew Tyler," she said of Ravi. "Not the smart, kind, articulate, humble, funny, generous person Tyler was. All he found out was that Tyler was gay."

In his impact statement, Clementi's older brother James told the judge, "I watched as Dharun slept through court as though it was something not worth staying awake for. " James said he "listened while Dharun and his defense attorneys laughed together as though it was a private joke in the courtroom that I and my family were not aware of."

Ravi was convicted in March of 15 criminal counts, including bias intimidation and invasion of privacy, for using his webcam to view his 18- year-old roommate Tyler Clementi kissing another man in September 2010. Clementi committed suicide just days after the online peeping and quickly became a symbol of the plight of gay youth in America.

Supporters saw Ravi as a symbol too, of the justice system gone awry in search of someone to blame.  Several hundred protesters showed up at the New Jersey State House last Monday to rally in support of Ravi and to call attention to what they see as injustices in New Jersey's hate-crime laws.

Ravi could face deportation to India, where he was born and remains as a citizen, although the judge said he added a notation to his judgement recommending that Ravi not be deported.

DGuller

Seems like common sense prevailed, at least until the appeals start flying.

Razgovory

I think he should have gotten a stiffer sentence for the obstruction of justice stuff.  Six months.  I still don't see him being a homophobe though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

As I read back my posts, I realize that I was operating under a misconception (though I think it was the fault of media reporting).  The guy was never recorded having sex on video.  The guy was only observed kissing another guy on a streaming video.

I actually think that makes a lot of difference, at least from the revulsion standpoint.  I think there is a world of difference between invasion of privacy that's recorded permanently, and one that's only recorded in someone's memory.  Both are worthy of scorn, of course, but the potential for lasting damage is vastly different.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Tell me if I am wrong on this.

Initially the story was that a closeted gay guy was recorded having sex by his roommate, and when the video was shared the guy killed himself.

It turns out the guy wasn't closeted, and wasn't recorded having sex, and there is no reason to think that caused him to kill himself. He was streamed making out with a guy though.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Did anyone actually think he was closeted? Hard to be closeted if you are bringing guys to your dorm room. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jaron

I don't get it..

He was gay, he was not in the closet, he was filmed making out with another man. Was this gay guy just being dramatic in killing himself? Where is the motivation? Was the guy he made out with so ugly that it killed his reputation?

I doubt any heteros would kill themselves if filmed making out with a female...embarrassing, sure, but one copes with such things in more healthy ways than suicide.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jaron

This is a much better story: http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/05/22/anti-paedophile-vigilante-who-murdered-gay-man-jailed-for-18-years/

But honestly - why do gays cater to stereotypes? Gay men are not women. Pink is largely seen as a feminine color. This to me is like having a black news site and calling it friedchickennews.com or burritopress.com

This is a shameful site you should not be supporting, Marcinek.

Eddie Teach

What have you got against burritopress.com? It's a fine, upstanding news site.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Jaron on May 23, 2012, 05:39:39 AM
This is a much better story: http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/05/22/anti-paedophile-vigilante-who-murdered-gay-man-jailed-for-18-years/

But honestly - why do gays cater to stereotypes? This to me is like having a black news site and calling it friedchickennews.com or burritopress.com

This is a shameful site you should not be supporting, Marcinek.

Confusion, metal disorder.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jaron

11B4V