Gay rights protester dumps glitter on Newt Gingrich

Started by garbon, May 18, 2011, 03:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110518/ts_yblog_theticket/gay-rights-protester-dumps-glitter-on-newt-gingrich

QuoteCould Newt Gingrich's week get any worse?

Just days into his 2012 presidential bid, the former House speaker has been under fire this week from fellow Republicans for trashing Rep. Paul Ryan's proposal on Medicare during his appearance on NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday--criticism that forced Gingrich to apologize.

On Monday, an Iowa voter was caught on camera griping him out. And Tuesday, it was revealed that Gingrich at one point owed at least $250,000 to Tiffany's—an embarrassing detail that could potentially come back to haunt the self-described fiscal conservative's 2012 bid.

Last night, Gingrich suffered yet another indignity, when a gay rights protester dumped a box of glitter on him and his wife, Callista, at a conservative fundraiser in Minneapolis.

The Gingriches were signing books ahead of their appearance at fund-raising dinner for the Minneapolis Family Council, a conservative group that has lobbied against gay rights and same sex marriage.

"Feel the rainbow, Newt," the protestor said, as he poured a box of glitter over the former speaker's head. "Stop the hate. Stop anti-gay politics. It's dividing our country, and it's not fixing our economy."

Vid in the link.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

On Monday, an Iowa voter was caught on camera griping him out. And Tuesday, it was revealed that Gingrich at one point owed at least $250,000 to Tiffany's—an embarrassing detail that could potentially come back to haunt the self-described fiscal conservative's 2012 bid.

Gotta keep the (4th?) mistress around somehow.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

katmai

How the hell can he be considered an actual candidate?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

btw his wife is weird looking.  She looks like a live-action female Mr. Burns or something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

He wasn't that well liked at his apex.  I mean by his own party.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Someone tried to tell me he was smart to run now. Their logic seemed faulty.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

One wing of the GOP hates Newt for being a philanderer and leaving his wife, and the other hates him for criticizing Ryan's plan/supporting Scozzafava/those ads with Pelosi. I don't see how he can win the nom, no matter how well he can crush all comers in debates or whatever.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Considering what the GOP's been dumping on him since Meet The Press, I'd say he got off lightly.

Neil

This sort of criminality is extremely dangerous.  The fag should be hanged.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 18, 2011, 04:59:27 PM
One wing of the GOP hates Newt for being a philanderer and leaving his wife, and the other hates him for criticizing Ryan's plan/supporting Scozzafava/those ads with Pelosi. I don't see how he can win the nom, no matter how well he can crush all comers in debates or whatever.

You don't win debates in America by being smart. Al Gore crushed George Bush with the facts in their first debate, and America decisively gave the debate to Bush because Gore sighed when Bush said things that were untrue or just stupid. Gingrich is even less likeable and more of a know-it-all than Gore.

I thought Gingrich had a shot on the basis that the only reasonable candidate seems to be Romney (I don't know much about Pawlenty). In a two way comparison, Gingrich at least could say he is actually a conservative, while you don't know that about Romney. Gingrich taking on Ryan's medicare plan--as right as Gingrich was to take it on--was probably the dumbest thing he could do.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014