News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Muzzle-loading blackpowder question.

Started by Razgovory, May 17, 2011, 04:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Been play a lot of Sid Meier's Gettysburg! recently and have a question about the muzzle loader black powder guns.  I remember reading somewhere the quick swab done during the average loading drill is insufficient to clear all the fouling and residue in the weapon.  Over time this builds up and the weapon becomes less accurate (and I assume non-functional at a certain point).  My question was did soldiers have a drill to fall back from the main line after so many shots so they could give the weapon a good cleaning?  If so, how many shots was optimal before fouling really effected the weapon? 

I realize this cover a large time span and many possible countries, so there can be a wide variety of answers due to technology and doctrine.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Not sure, but I would think they'd just keep firing until they had a misfire.

Haven't played that game in ages, but I still remember the Southern dude saying "This is yo' best brigaaade." :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

The average soldier probably didn't carry enough ammo to have to worry about it. I have no idea though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on May 17, 2011, 04:42:05 PM

Haven't played that game in ages, but I still remember the Southern dude saying "This is yo' best brigaaade." :)

THANKS A LOT. Now I want to play.

MEW.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Muzzle loader blackpowder rifles aren't really that accurate anyway.  I have fired them but not more than like 2-3 times at once so I don't know how quickly black powder residue builds up or at what point it becomes a problem.  I would assume they probably cleaned it between every engagement.  I clean my rifle after every shoot even though I probably don't need to... it's always pretty damn dirty tho.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

Quote from: Caliga on May 17, 2011, 05:13:03 PM
  I clean my rifle after every shoot even though I probably don't need to... it's always pretty damn dirty tho.

Raz, should be swabbed after a few shots. BP is dirty and accuracy will fall off even more without a swab after every couple of shots. Real BP is dirty and highly corosive. Complete cleaning of the weapon after an engagment would have been a must.

Cal, I hope your throughly cleaning after BP shooting, unless you are using certain BP dirvetives that are non-corosive nowadays.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Oh, and rifled civil war muzzleloaders could be acceptionally accurate. Dont confuse a rifled muzzleloader in the hands of a recruit to one being handled by a well trained soldier.

Minié bullet
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Also, pay attention to lead fouling. The "patch" did have a use. Read about the "Paper patch bullets" and "lubed bullets" and why.

I believe they even used a swipe of animal fat concoctions over the cylinders of a BP cap and ball revolver. I know I use crisco instead of the knewer lubed wads.

Forgtive my spelling I just woke up.

Razgovory

I think a swab or two was part of the standard reloading drill, but I was led to believe that wouldn't be enough.  The gun can lock up or worse after repeated usage.  I was wondering if after say 10-20 shots a line would fall back and perhaps another one take it's place.  Or maybe just charge (especially in earlier eras).

Probably something Grumbler would know.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on May 17, 2011, 08:11:31 PM

He was with Earl Van Dorn when he got shot.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 17, 2011, 08:11:31 PM
I think a swab or two was part of the standard reloading drill, but I was led to believe that wouldn't be enough.  The gun can lock up or worse after repeated usage.  I was wondering if after say 10-20 shots a line would fall back and perhaps another one take it's place.  Or maybe just charge (especially in earlier eras).

There's not that many moving parts on a Civil War rifle. They were perecussion ignited also.

"The British army adopted it in 1834 after comparing the results of 6,000 test rounds fired from flintlock and percussion firearms. The flintlocks misfired 922 times (15 percent of the time), while only 36 (0.6 percent) of the percussion weapons misfired."

If that helps

Pishtaco

I was just reading about this, in a Bruce Catton book. He mentions it in a couple of places. One of the citations is "The History of the 24th Michigan of the Iron Brigade", which is available on Google Books, and says on page 243, about the battle of Spotsylvania Court House:

QuoteStanding in deep mud and keeping up a constant fire for hours and till after midnight, the men's muskets became so foul that details were made to clean the guns while their comrades kept up the fire. The men were so weary (having been under fire night and day for week) that some lay down in the mud under the enemy's fire slept and soundly amid the thunders of battle, despite all efforts to arouse them During the night the remnant of the Twenty fourth used 5,000 rounds of cartridges at this spot.

Caliga

Quote from: 11B4V on May 17, 2011, 07:45:21 PM
Cal, I hope your throughly cleaning after BP shooting, unless you are using certain BP dirvetives that are non-corosive nowadays.
I don't own a blackpowder rifle, I've just fired them a bunch of times.  It was like a dude handed me one and said "load it and fire" and then I handed it back.

I am an honorary citizen of West Point, Kentucky and member of the Order of Kentucky Rifles because I loaded and fired a Kentucky rifle in less than some time limit (forget what it was) and hit a target at 30 yards. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

Quote from: Caliga on May 17, 2011, 08:50:42 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 17, 2011, 07:45:21 PM
I don't own a blackpowder rifle, I've just fired them a bunch of times.  It was like a dude handed me one and said "load it and fire" and then I handed it back.

I am an honorary citizen of West Point, Kentucky and member of the Order of Kentucky Rifles because I loaded and fired a Kentucky rifle in less than some time limit (forget what it was) and hit a target at 30 yards. :cool:

Cool beans. I havent had anytime to do any shooting lately. Havent even started reloading any BP pistol rounds this year. BP loading process is a little different than loading with smokeless powders.