News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Senate has voted down CC&B. 51-46

Closer than I expected, but then it was a safe vote for the GOP members. No threat, but still appease the ranting mobs back home.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 22, 2011, 05:09:01 PM

Closer than I expected, but then it was a safe vote for the GOP members. No threat, but still appease the ranting mobs back home.

McCain didn't vote :hmm:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 22, 2011, 05:09:01 PM

I must admit that I found it amusing that the Republicans were willing to pretend that they could, by majority vote, force the Congress to promise to pass legislation that would require a 2/3 vote.

I think we have time for some more grandstanding before the adults have to take away the kiddie's toys.  Maybe the Republicans can whip up a bill that promises to pass a constitutional amendment to allow states to secede if taxes go up.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Obama is doing a pc now. Apparently, it's Boehner's turn to walk away from negotiations. He's going to talk to the Senate without Obama there.

MadImmortalMan

The Presidential gray hair curse has got Barack already.

Admiral Yi

I thought he had put something like 4 billion in cuts on the table just a little while ago. :huh:

MadImmortalMan

Ed: Aren't you supposed to capitalize "President"?

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 22, 2011, 05:34:42 PM
I thought he had put something like 4 billion in cuts on the table just a little while ago. :huh:
Boehner did an Arafat on those negotiations, as he now has for the smaller package.

I think he is terrified about what his caucus might do to him if he was reasonable.

I think that what we are going to end up with is a naked vote on the debt ceiling.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Fate

Where do you get communist from that?  :rolleyes:

Anyway Boehner answers crazy canuck's question: "... As a former small businessman, I know tax increases destroy jobs." Democrats have never presented an effective counter argument.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 22, 2011, 05:44:16 PM
Question is Grumber, where are the adults?
In the White House for the Democrats and the Senate for the Republicans.

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

In the Senate, hopefully.

There's been buzz that Obama has been very rude in these talks. I don't know how true that is. We know from the past that his style can sometimes be abrasive (remember "I Won"), so I don't completely disbelieve it.

Fate

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 22, 2011, 05:47:44 PM

In the Senate, hopefully.

There's been buzz that Obama has been very rude in these talks. I don't know how true that is. We know from the past that his style can sometimes be abrasive (remember "I Won"), so I don't completely disbelieve it.

The President was rude, therefore we're going to send the Republic off a cliff!  :hmm: