So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2011, 09:06:29 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 12, 2011, 10:46:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2011, 10:16:22 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 12, 2011, 09:56:35 PM
I don't think that was the Republican Party.
McVeigh was a registered Republican, though he was leaning toward Libertarian.
So what?  When a black person robs someone, they are robbed by a black person, not the Democratic Party.
It was a political act.  Robbing someone is not a political act.
I don't think that's important.

Still, if you want to go that way, should every Democrat be considered a traitor because of Alger Hiss?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 13, 2011, 09:13:23 AM
I don't think the 14th amendment argument makes a lot of sense.

However, it does seems to me that if Congress does the following:
1) Directs expenditure of money
2) Refuses to raise revenues sufficient to support those expenditures, and
3) Refuses to authorize issuance of debt,

then it has created a fundamental logical contradiction for the Executive, which has the duty to carry out the laws faithfully.  The Executive can't do all three of those things; it must take some action that is inconsistent with its obligations.  The discussion to date in the media seems to presume that the only way to resolve the problem is for the Executive to repudiate its obligations at least in part with respect to Item 1.  But it is less than clear to me why it is OK to flaunt laws directing expenditure of money but not those directing limits on authorized debt.  All the laws stand in equal dignity.  Thus, if Congress has acted in a way as to force the Executive to break some directive, then it seems to me the Executive should be able to exercise its discretion about which directive to bend.
Should they just sue Congress then?  Or is the Supreme Court so full of Republican creatures that it wouldn't be helpful?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2011, 07:40:29 PM

Still, if you want to go that way, should every Democrat be considered a traitor because of Alger Hiss?

I believe that was the thrust of McCarthy's arguments.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2011, 07:48:10 PM

I believe that was the thrust of McCarthy's arguments.
If you choose to support your reasoning process by claiming McCarthy, then perhaps you should rethink your viewpoint.

Moreover, when I disagree with you, you should know right away that you are wrong.

CountDeMoney

Why not; every Republican should be considered a tyrannical despot that eschews the rule of law because of Richard Nixon.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2011, 09:22:17 PM

Moreover, when I disagree with you, you should know right away that you are wrong.

You're not even a real person!  You're a Canadian.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2011, 10:13:46 PM
Why not; every Republican should be considered a tyrannical despot that eschews the rule of law because of Richard Nixon.
It's that sort of talk that makes me happy to think that you'll soon be having to bend your knee to President Bachmann.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2011, 10:41:09 PM
It's that sort of talk that makes me happy to think that you'll soon be having to bend your knee to President Bachmann.

Dude, if Bachmann becomes POTUSA, it's more likely to be bending at the waist and facing away from her.
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 13, 2011, 10:42:51 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2011, 10:41:09 PM
Dude, if Bachmann becomes POTUSA, it's more likely to be bending at the waist and facing away from her.
Either way, Money will pay for his slander.

Grey Fox

It's funny how a Federal Tax at 4% would mostly fix all these problems within a decade. Yet, there's no political will to actually fix the situation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grallon

"...under the weight of its own internal contradictions"  I said some time ago.  It's been sagging for while but now it's becoming visible. :P

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Admiral Yi

I think you also said we would have rounded up and gassed all Muslims in the country by now too.

Jacob

Who is Ezra Klein? And where is he on the political spectrum, not to mention the credibility spectrum?

I found this piece of his interesting: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/the-white-houses-case-for-a-big-deficit-deal/2011/07/14/gIQAdj4AEI_blog.html?wprss=ezra-klein

Quote from: Ezra KleinTo put all this slightly differently, White House officials believe a big deficit reduction deal would do them enough good, both politically and economically, that it's worth making very significant compromises on the details of that deal. If you thought getting to $4 trillion in deficit reduction was a Republican goal, you're wrong. It's the White House's goal, and the only reason it might not happen is Republicans won't let them do it.

As I write in my Bloomberg column today, the Republican Party has taken the exact opposite position as the administration: A deal won't help them politically, and they don't actually care about the deficit all that much, and so they're much more interested in resisting compromises on the details than passing a big debt-reduction package. Put those two positions together and it's pretty easy to see how the deal has moved so far to the right, and also why it'll be very hard to close.

What do you guys think?

MadImmortalMan

It's a great piece except for the part you quoted.  :P

Many GOP members may not care about deficit reduction, but a majority probably do. More importantly, their constituencies very much do. Even if they wanted not to reduce the deficit, it's a politically impossible position for them to take.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 14, 2011, 05:34:04 PM
It's a great piece except for the part you quoted.  :P

Many GOP members may not care about deficit reduction, but a majority probably do. More importantly, their constituencies very much do. Even if they wanted not to reduce the deficit, it's a politically impossible position for them to take.

I would put it somewhat cynically as follows: the Republicans are calculating that, if the economy tanks because no deal is reached, it will harm the current president and not them.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius