News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: KRonn on July 01, 2011, 09:52:12 AM
We're going to need tax hikes along with heavy budget cuts. The tax cuts to the wealthy seems a good place to start. I'd say they shouldn't have passed that in the first place, just a more limited portion of the Bush tax cuts should have gone through. Seems both sides are doubling down, catering to certain segments of their voting block, locked in a bash-athon, to score political points.

Quotebit more information has trickled out over the last few days detailing the exact state of the budget negotiations when they collapsed. Both sides, as they often said, were shooting for about $2.4 trillion in deficit reduction over 10 years. They'd already agreed on around $1 trillion in spending cuts and were making good progress on the rest of it. But Democrats insisted that $400 billion -- so, 17 percent -- of the package be tax increases. And that's when Republicans walked.

Specifically, the Obama administration was looking at a rule that lets businesses value their inventory at less than they bought it for in order to lower their tax burden, a loophole that lets hedge-fund managers count their income as capital gains and pay a 15 percent marginal tax rate, the tax treatment of private jets, oil and gas subsidies, and a limit on itemized deductions for the wealthy.

It's almost not worth going into the details on those particular tax changes because the Republican position has held that the details don't matter: well-designed tax increases won't be looked at any more favorably than poorly designed tax increases. The point, Republicans say, is that there can't be any tax increases, full stop.

For now, Democrats are holding their ground. "Do we perpetuate a system that allows for subsidies in revenues for oil and gas, for example, or owners of corporate private jets, and then call for cuts in things like food safety or weather services?" Press Secretary Jay Carney asked. But at some point, this will cease to be a clean choice between two budget plans and begin to be a question over whether we can raise the debt ceiling. And that, Republicans are betting, is when the Democrats will stop holding their ground.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/57890.html

So in other words, the Democrats proposed that 1/5 of the deficit reduction come from tax increases is a sign that they are committed to scoring points?

MadImmortalMan

$2.4 trillion in deficit reduction over 10 years

Not impressed.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

KRonn

So in other words, the Democrats proposed that 1/5 of the deficit reduction come from tax increases is a sign that they are committed to scoring points?   

Both parties have made a habit of trying to score points, at least as much as solve the issues. It would be laughable for you or anyone to say that the parties aren't trying more to milk as much political favor out things as they could by bashing the other side at any opportunity. You should be tired of that same old game  by now, just as I am. Just look at talk of reforming Medicare or Social Security, or Defense spending. The party or politician who makes a proposal gets hammered, political ads showing how they're bad on Defense or hate the troops, or want to toss old ladies off of cliffs. If you read my post, I suggest the parties do more working together, since the decisions that need to be made are so tough, so neither party can be played the cretin by the other, preferably with leadership by the President. I wasn't pointing to any particular plans by either side some of which might be good ideas, or not.

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on July 01, 2011, 12:13:01 PM
1/6, actually ($400B out of $2400B).  Just reinforces your point, of course.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 01, 2011, 12:15:21 PM

Not impressed.

Me neither.

alfred russel

Quote from: KRonn on July 01, 2011, 09:52:12 AM
We're going to need tax hikes along with heavy budget cuts. The tax cuts to the wealthy seems a good place to start. I'd say they shouldn't have passed that in the first place, just a more limited portion of the Bush tax cuts should have gone through. Seems both sides are doubling down, catering to certain segments of their voting block, locked in a bash-athon, to score political points.

Quotebit more information has trickled out over the last few days detailing the exact state of the budget negotiations when they collapsed. Both sides, as they often said, were shooting for about $2.4 trillion in deficit reduction over 10 years. They'd already agreed on around $1 trillion in spending cuts and were making good progress on the rest of it. But Democrats insisted that $400 billion -- so, 17 percent -- of the package be tax increases. And that's when Republicans walked.

Specifically, the Obama administration was looking at a rule that lets businesses value their inventory at less than they bought it for in order to lower their tax burden, a loophole that lets hedge-fund managers count their income as capital gains and pay a 15 percent marginal tax rate, the tax treatment of private jets, oil and gas subsidies, and a limit on itemized deductions for the wealthy.

It's almost not worth going into the details on those particular tax changes because the Republican position has held that the details don't matter: well-designed tax increases won't be looked at any more favorably than poorly designed tax increases. The point, Republicans say, is that there can't be any tax increases, full stop.

For now, Democrats are holding their ground. "Do we perpetuate a system that allows for subsidies in revenues for oil and gas, for example, or owners of corporate private jets, and then call for cuts in things like food safety or weather services?" Press Secretary Jay Carney asked. But at some point, this will cease to be a clean choice between two budget plans and begin to be a question over whether we can raise the debt ceiling. And that, Republicans are betting, is when the Democrats will stop holding their ground.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/57890.html

I think it is. It is a trivial amount to raise a stink over regarding the debt limit. I imagine they came with this proposal to at least appear to be fighting, and to embarrass the republicans. At least if they were pushing for a $2 trillion tax increase you could say they were fighting fire with fire.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 01, 2011, 04:52:55 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 01, 2011, 12:15:21 PM

Not impressed.

Me neither.

How does the Ryan plan compare over the next 10 years?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2011, 07:26:55 PM

4 and change IIRC.

Faeelin

Quote from: grumbler on July 01, 2011, 01:15:53 PM
1/6, actually ($400B out of $2400B).  Just reinforces your point, of course.

What's funny is that the GOP rejected a ratio of cuts and increases that they themselves proposed:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/republicans-reject-their-own-deficit-reduction-report/2011/05/19/AGTcR2rH_blog.html

CountDeMoney

Chuck Shumer's right, you know.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 01, 2011, 08:13:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2011, 07:26:55 PM

4 and change IIRC.

Increase or decrease?  From what I saw it increases debt over the next 10 years by about 4 trillion.  It manages to balance the budget some time in 2050's or something like that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 02, 2011, 11:15:27 AM
Increase or decrease?  From what I saw it increases debt over the next 10 years by about 4 trillion.  It manages to balance the budget some time in 2050's or something like that.

I would be interested to know what the components of that increase are.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2011, 05:34:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 02, 2011, 11:15:27 AM

I would be interested to know what the components of that increase are.

Probably the tax cuts.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on July 02, 2011, 12:08:03 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 02, 2011, 11:04:45 AM
Chuck Shumer's right, you know.

No he's not.  About anything.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, yes he is.