News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why is deflation bad?

Started by I Killed Kenny, April 16, 2009, 08:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I Killed Kenny

I'm wondering why is deflation bad?

I am talking about this year's deflation in particular.

The prices are coming down mainly from the lower crude prices (transportation, energy etc).

This (for the majority of people) is a welcome gift from the crisis.

Still all the economists say deflation could make even worse the crisis, why?

MadImmortalMan

It's a significant barrier to growth.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DontSayBanana

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on April 16, 2009, 08:15:25 PM

The prices are coming down mainly from the lower crude prices (transportation, energy etc).

Deflation causes a price spiral where it becomes an impossibility for goods providers to break even.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Also money becomes scarce.  It's hard to buy things without money.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

It's also a barrier to consumption. You don't buy that car today if you know it will be cheaper tomorrow.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on April 16, 2009, 08:15:25 PM

1. Your salary will be cut. 
2. If you owe any debt, deflation adds to your real interest burden.  You have to service the same debt with an ever reducing salary.
3. People do not buy things.  If there is a good chance that prices will come down next month, why not wait, and wait, and wait?

ulmont

Quote from: Monoriu on April 16, 2009, 08:49:25 PM
2. If you owe any debt, deflation adds to your real interest burden.  You have to service the same debt with an ever reducing salary.

:bleeding:

DontSayBanana

Basically, summing up, I think it's safe to say that deflation is bad because deflation is bad. It negatively impacts nearly everything in the economy, consumer and producer actors, as well as devalues goods, so you lose the international facets of your economy as well.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

Deflation is bad for the whole economy, but the effect is different for different people.  For borrowers, it is a nightmare.  But it is good for lenders.  If there is 4% deflation, you just park your money in the bank and you earn 4% in real terms, plus whatever the bank pays in interest (usually not much in deflation times). 

Deflation is also good for people with stable incomes and jobs.  If your employer can't fire you, and can't cut your salary (or can't cut it to the full extent of deflation), then your real income will rise. 

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on April 16, 2009, 09:13:04 PMDeflation is also good for people with stable incomes and jobs.  If your employer can't fire you, and can't cut your salary (or can't cut it to the full extent of deflation), then your real income will rise.

That's all well and good, but that covers a small percentage of employees at best, where their employers have no recourse for firing or for wage/salary reduction, and considering the number of contracted employees whose contracts are limited to the year, if deflation lasts longer than a year, than the number of protected employees effectively drops to zero.

Finally, many lenders in the US also have retail financial operations as overhead, so if their pool of customers is shrinking as the incomes shrink, I would think that that "4% deflation" would turn into maybe "1% net loss." It wouldn't be AS bad for lenders, but overheads put a real limit to what money can be "parked," so I think you'd see more a slow attrition of the lenders, especially if deflation became as severe as 4 percent.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

That's all well and good, but that covers a small percentage of employees at best, where their employers have no recourse for firing or for wage/salary reduction, and considering the number of contracted employees whose contracts are limited to the year, if deflation lasts longer than a year, than the number of protected employees effectively drops to zero.

Finally, many lenders in the US also have retail financial operations as overhead, so if their pool of customers is shrinking as the incomes shrink, I would think that that "4% deflation" would turn into maybe "1% net loss." It wouldn't be AS bad for lenders, but overheads put a real limit to what money can be "parked," so I think you'd see more a slow attrition of the lenders, especially if deflation became as severe as 4 percent.

Think government employees who live below their means  -_-

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on April 16, 2009, 10:09:42 PMThink government employees who live below their means  -_-

Well, remember, in the US we've got federal minimum wage. Except in four states, pretty much everybody at that income level is an at-will employee, which means they could be fired for any reason (or even no reason at all), provided the reason doesn't violate anti-discrimination laws or the state's labor laws.
Experience bij!

garbon

:o

This year, the federal minimum wage will be more than I made at my first job.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 10:30:38 PM
:o

This year, the federal minimum wage will be more than I made at my first job.
Haha, you are old.

Wait, when I got my first job the minimum wage was a penny.  Per day.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Fireblade

Quote from: Monoriu on April 16, 2009, 08:49:25 PM

I have a general question regarding repaying debt: Let's say I owe $13,000 in student loans (which is what I actually owe  <_< ). If Obama decided to go Mugabe style and crank out a gazillion dollars tomorrow, would the banks stick to making me pay $13,000? Because man, that would solve SO many of my cash flow problems right there, if I could just mail in a worthless piece of paper to pay for that worthless piece of paper hanging up on my wall.