News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Question to Americans about the GOP

Started by Martim Silva, May 15, 2011, 07:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

Taking advantage of the IMF thread, I would like to ask something:

The Republican Party is defending tax cuts for the mega-rich, while proposing cuts on social programs and other things that help the poor.

Now, here in Europe, a party that defended such a position would rightfully be considered a joke party and would only get about 1% of the loony vote.

But in the US, the Republicans are seen as one of the most powerful political forces, and indeed their demands to keep tax cuts for the mega-rich seen as a valid political stance.

HOW can this position be even removely acceptable? What KIND of people are those who think this can somehow be a decent stance? Or who believe this can somehow be beneficial to anyone but to those who already have everything? Why don't people just shun these bastards?

Why?  :huh:

CountDeMoney

Look at the Languish posters that support the GOP, an you'll have your answer.

The Brain

What did the GOP leadership tell you at the dinner last week?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on May 15, 2011, 07:48:07 AM
What did the GOP leadership tell you at the dinner last week?

Motherfucker, I know you're not talking to me.

Admiral Yi

People don't shun these bastards for two reasons.

One, there is still a deeply held belief in the US that a person should be entitled to enjoy the fruits of his own labor.  That whereas some taxes are inevitable to provide for the common good, the burden of proof lies with those wishing to confiscate private income for public purposes, not the other way around.

Second, whereas most Americans accept the need for a social safety net that will help a person who is going through a rough patch, to enable him or her to get back on his feet, they are also suspicious of a permanent underclass, forever dependent on handouts for their existence and with little or no motivation to attain self-sufficiency.

I personally think the modern GOP has talked themselves into an ideological policy dead end on raising taxes, but since your question was on why the stance can be considered remotely acceptable, as opposed to being a darn good idea, I answered thus.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 15, 2011, 08:02:01 AM
Second, whereas most Americans accept the need for a social safety net that will help a person who is going through a rough patch, to enable him or her to get back on his feet, they are also suspicious of a permanent underclass negroes, forever dependent on handouts for their existence and with little or no motivation to attain self-sufficiency.

Slargos

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2011, 09:02:10 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 15, 2011, 08:02:01 AM
Second, whereas most Americans accept the need for a social safety net that will help a person who is going through a rough patch, to enable him or her to get back on his feet, they are also suspicious of a permanent underclass negroes, forever dependent on handouts for their existence and with little or no motivation to attain self-sufficiency.

:lol:

I know if I was American I would probably be a Democrat save for the negro problem.  :hmm:

Neil

Well, the Republicans propose tax cuts for everybody and their dog, not just the 'mega-rich'.

It looks like during your dinner with the Prime Minister of Portugal, he fed you some misinformation.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

That's not fair.  Some negroes achieve self-sufficiency through crime, or sometimes through demagoguery.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Fate

Quote from: Martim Silva on May 15, 2011, 07:40:29 AM
Why?  :huh:

Tax cuts for the rich produce a larger increase in government revenues than taxing the rich.

Once you accept this as truth it will all make sense.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Fate on May 15, 2011, 09:08:32 AM
Tax cuts for the rich produce a larger increase in government revenues than taxing the rich.

WRONG

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2011, 09:10:32 AM
Quote from: Fate on May 15, 2011, 09:08:32 AM

WRONG
Well, it can happen over the short term, as the rich plan their taxes so as to incur the liability when the lower rates are in effect.  In the long term though, it's a stupid idea.

grumbler

Spicey, I concede.  Not only was your gag successful in suckering Martim into believing there was a "Republican Party" in America (after I said that he was so brilliant he would see through the gag immediately), but you've got the other forum geniuses believing it as well.  When I had lunch with the Portuguese ambassador on Wednesday, he also indicated that he bought into your gag.  I figured, though, that he was just taking Martim's word for it.

I am impressed.  I know you had a lot of help from the Main Stream Media, but selling such an inherently absurd idea as a party that wanted to cut taxes and benefits?  I didn't think it could be done.  You Yale PhDs proved to be right, and we Harvard MDs proved to be wrong.

EDIT:  OOPs!  Wrong thread.  Can someone move this to the thread in the Back Room?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2011, 09:16:27 AM
Spicey, I concede.  Not only was your gag successful in suckering Martim into believing there was a "Republican Party" in America (after I said that he was so brilliant he would see through the gag immediately), but you've got the other forum geniuses believing it as well.  When I had lunch with the Portuguese ambassador on Wednesday, he also indicated that he bought into your gag.  I figured, though, that he was just taking Martim's word for it.

I am impressed.  I know you had a lot of help from the Main Stream Media, but selling such an inherently absurd idea as a party that wanted to cut taxes and benefits?  I didn't think it could be done.  You Yale PhDs proved to be right, and we Harvard MDs proved to be wrong.

EDIT:  OOPs!  Wrong thread.  Can someone move this to the thread in the Back Room?

To the thread where you declare your undying love for Martinus? I'm sure it can be arranged.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Slargos on May 15, 2011, 09:20:24 AM
To the thread where you declare your undying love for Martinus? I'm sure it can be arranged.

You got it mixed up, he said Martimanus, i.e. our connected bisexual Portuguese friend.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?