In Greece, austerity kindles deep discontent, breakdown in rule of law

Started by jimmy olsen, May 15, 2011, 05:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: grumbler on July 02, 2011, 09:42:32 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 02, 2011, 07:34:38 AM
Certainly, by requiring it to further reduce public spending and national consumption, we are making sure the recovery - if at all possible - becomes even less likely.
If this is so certain, why are you doing it?  You would seem to be defeating yourself.

Politics. Other Europeans are pissed and want the lazy Greeks to suffer. You can see that in this or any other discussion about the state of Greek finances.

The reaction is understandable but completely idiotic. Those who stand to suffer these austerity measures the most are the ones who already can't retire young, lack the security of a cushy gov job and whose salaries are easy to tax. Precisely the kind of Greeks who did NOT create this problem in the first place.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on July 02, 2011, 11:04:51 AM
The reaction is understandable but completely idiotic. Those who stand to suffer these austerity measures the most are the ones who already can't retire young, lack the security of a cushy gov job and whose salaries are easy to tax. Precisely the kind of Greeks who did NOT create this problem in the first place.

I don't get how you came to this conclusion.  Seems to me increasing the retirement age hurts exactly those people who currently can retire young.  Just as eliminating cushy government jobs hurts those who currently hold them, and broadening tax collections hurts those who currently are escaping payment.

Iormlund

Those examples are structural reforms, not mere cuts. That should be precisely the only focus of these rescues.
Cutting pensions, making it more expensive to go to work every day or freezing payments to private contractors fixes nothing.

grumbler

Quote from: Iormlund on July 02, 2011, 11:04:51 AM
Politics. Other Europeans are pissed and want the lazy Greeks to suffer. You can see that in this or any other discussion about the state of Greek finances.

The reaction is understandable but completely idiotic.
So you really, truly believe that the IMF and ECB bankers who insist on the austerity measures in order to get more loan payments do it out of spite?

QuoteThose who stand to suffer these austerity measures the most are the ones who already can't retire young, lack the security of a cushy gov job and whose salaries are easy to tax. Precisely the kind of Greeks who did NOT create this problem in the first place.
Do the torturers really care whether their victims are Greek or not?  And did the kind of Greeks you mention vote in elections that brought to power the people who did create this problem in the first place? 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Greece has immense problem with something that is called "the grey zone economy" in Polish (I don't know the proper English phrase - a "black market" would be close, but this goes beyond that). It's essentially a problem of enforcement, and systemic corruption and graft. There are people running businesses, hiring employees etc. and managing to keep it away from the state (which means no taxes are collected at any level of it).

Greece needs to crack down on these practices, but also create incentives for people who have operated like this for years to move back into the "white zone". Raising taxes will have a doubly opposite effect - it will increase the burden on people who are already lawful businessmen and pay taxes, and will serve to push even more of them into the "grey zone".

It is just one illustration of the point Iorm was making - that Greece needs structural reforms, and not just "austerity measures".

I wonder if Greece should hire Polish economists (like Balcerowicz) to help them, as we have been through exactly that kind of stuff in 1989.

The Brain

Greece needs to be fusion bombed, and the remains can be given to Macedonia and Turkey.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2011, 02:53:31 AM
It is just one illustration of the point Iorm was making - that Greece needs structural reforms, and not just "austerity measures".
Actually, Iorm is saying that austerity measures are being required of Greece out of spite and a desire to see suffering, not out of a desire to see Greece get out of this mess.  I think that you are correct that Greece needs structural reforms, but don't see what that has to do with the issue at hand; nothing in the IMF/ECB requirements for Greece precludes structural reforms or demands that the Greek people suffer.  If the Greek government met the demands of its creditors through structural reforms, that would be terrific.  It hasn't, though.  It may be possible that it cannot.

QuoteI wonder if Greece should hire Polish economists (like Balcerowicz) to help them, as we have been through exactly that kind of stuff in 1989.
That was an argument I was holding in reserve:  that temporary austerity to achieve longer-term prosperity had proven the best route for the former communist countries, esp comparing Poland to Russia.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Greek austerity measures: double the VAT on restaurant and hotel services. :frusty:

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2011, 09:18:07 AM
Greek austerity measures: double the VAT on restaurant and hotel services. :frusty:

Pay the germans back with their own money; how is that silly?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on July 03, 2011, 09:27:26 AM

Germans can go to Spain instead.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2011, 09:35:28 AM
Quote from: Viking on July 03, 2011, 09:27:26 AM

Germans can go to Spain instead.

The the Spanish can pay the Germans back with the Germans own money as well.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2011, 10:00:13 AM
Can't they just sell off some of those islands?

don't tell me you are that desperate to hand over guam, wake and hawaii to the red chinese?

Martim Silva

Iorm, the measures on Greece have nothing to do with punishing Greeks. Trust me, all european governments are well aware of who truly created this mess (the bankers), and do not harbour any resentment towards the Greek (and Irish, Portuguese, Spanish) populations.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2011, 06:07:35 PM
I don't get how you came to this conclusion.  Seems to me increasing the retirement age hurts exactly those people who currently can retire young.

Though Iorm's argument is incorret, I would like to point out that retirement age changes will take place over decades, so people in their late 40s-early 50s will not be really affected.