In Greece, austerity kindles deep discontent, breakdown in rule of law

Started by jimmy olsen, May 15, 2011, 05:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

But when I mention the Greek migrant labour of the 60s and how they almost en masse mysteriously developed back conditions after working the minimal amount of time required to be fully supported by the social security system, somehow I am a racist.  :rolleyes:

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2011, 06:18:57 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 30, 2011, 05:55:07 PM
I think that Europe needs to provide them with long-term debt support while they actually push through the reforms necessary, rather than simply demanding more and more austerity - I think that's starting to happen.

What's the moral principle behind the belief that a country which has been living beyond its means deserves subsidization of its lifestyle?

I thought we were talking about economy, not moral principles. Where did that come from?  :huh:

What was the moral principle behind the US government (both under Republicans and Democrats) pumping billions of dollars into failing, unprofitable entities during the last 3 years or so?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on July 01, 2011, 02:00:31 AM
I thought we were talking about economy, not moral principles. Where did that come from?  :huh:

What was the moral principle behind the US government (both under Republicans and Democrats) pumping billions of dollars into failing, unprofitable entities during the last 3 years or so?

The preservation of the banking system and hence credit.  In the case of GM, Union votes.

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 01, 2011, 01:12:23 AM
It's not just Greece when it comes to financial incompetence; the European Court of Auditors has failed the EU's accounts every year for........well...........living memory.

The US is there too.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

So has anyone tried out the austerity Kindle?  I know it's cheaper than the regular Kindle, but the small amount of savings isn't worth having ads on your e-reader  :yuk:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HFS6Z0/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=6071121567&ref=pd_sl_1btn594ibc_e
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

ulmont

Quote from: derspiess on July 01, 2011, 09:31:10 AM
So has anyone tried out the austerity Kindle?  I know it's cheaper than the regular Kindle, but the small amount of savings isn't worth having ads on your e-reader  :yuk:

The austerity Kindle is fine.  The ads don't show while you're reading, so it's totally ignorable.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: ulmont on July 01, 2011, 12:25:21 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 01, 2011, 09:31:10 AM

The austerity Kindle is fine.  The ads don't show while you're reading, so it's totally ignorable.

For now.  Next thing you know there'll be an annoying pop-up every time you turn a page :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 01, 2011, 06:16:17 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 01, 2011, 02:00:31 AM

The preservation of the banking system and hence credit.  In the case of GM, Union votes.

That's not a moral principle. These are pragmatic reasons. There are equally strong (if not stronger) reasons behind preventing Greece from defaulting while not to throttling its growth with austerity measures. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Martinus

Fucking Greeks. Apparently, the ferry and airline transport employees went on strike. Great idea, smother the only business sector that Greece can do reasonably well by pissing off thousands of foreign tourists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on July 02, 2011, 04:45:45 AM
That's not a moral principle. These are pragmatic reasons. There are equally strong (if not stronger) reasons behind preventing Greece from defaulting while not to throttling its growth with austerity measures. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Let's assume for the sake of argument that I'm not being deliberately obtuse.  What are these equally strong if not stronger reasons behind preventing Greece from defaulting while not throttling its growth?

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2011, 07:31:00 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 02, 2011, 04:45:45 AM

Let's assume for the sake of argument that I'm not being deliberately obtuse.  What are these equally strong if not stronger reasons behind preventing Greece from defaulting while not throttling its growth?

Immediately:
Collapse of Euro.
Second financial crisis.
Double-dip recession.

More hypothetically, a potential social, economical and political powder keg in the heart of Europe.

The question isn't whether Greece should be saved but whether it can. Certainly, by requiring it to further reduce public spending and national consumption, we are making sure the recovery - if at all possible - becomes even less likely.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on July 02, 2011, 07:34:38 AM
Certainly, by requiring it to further reduce public spending and national consumption, we are making sure the recovery - if at all possible - becomes even less likely.
If this is so certain, why are you doing it?  You would seem to be defeating yourself.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on July 02, 2011, 07:34:38 AM

Immediately:
Collapse of Euro.
Second financial crisis.
Double-dip recession.

More hypothetically, a potential social, economical and political powder keg in the heart of Europe.

The question isn't whether Greece should be saved but whether it can. Certainly, by requiring it to further reduce public spending and national consumption, we are making sure the recovery - if at all possible - becomes even less likely.

Greece is a very small country that makes up a miniscule portion of the economy of the eurozone (or EU). Its debts are reasonably large and held by institutions (public and private) that matter to the eurozone, but beyond that Greece is too small to really matter. From a practical (not moral) point of view, I don't see why France or Germany needs to be particularly concerned if Greece recovers anytime soon (and it seems they are not). Western Europe is one of the most stable places politically in the world. They aren't going to be destabilized because of some anarchists in the balkans.

What they do need to be worried about is whether a bunch of countries begin to view an EU bailout package as a solution to an ugly budget situation. If Portugal and Ireland begin to see this as an acceptable alternative, things could get expensive. If Spain or Italy take that view, there may not be the money to bail them out.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014