IMF Chairman Arrested for Sexual Assault by NYPD

Started by Drakken, May 14, 2011, 09:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 17, 2011, 06:38:27 PM
Duh, everybody knows France loves rape since Depardieu made it cool.

Thank heaven for little girls
For little girls get bigger every day!

They grow up in the most delightful way!
Those little eyes so helpless and appealing
One day will flash and send you crashin thru the ceilin
Thank heaven for them all,
No matter where no matter who
For without them,
what would little boys do?

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 17, 2011, 06:36:59 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 17, 2011, 10:01:22 AM
Hey Zoupa!  What do you think of this:
Article de Cyberpresse concernant Sexus politicus

Apparently, rape and juvenile prostitution are widely tolerated for politicians in France, wich explains why so many media seem so surprised DSK was arrested.
Translate it!

How fucking lazy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

GT clearly isn't perfect, but it looks better than it used to be.

One thing about this story that does bug me a little is the line of thinking that "some mere maid can destroy such an important man". Frankly, the fact that a mere hotel housekeeper can get the (hopeful) next President of any country arrested and yanked off a plane because she was wronged by him is an example of something that is very right about the United States.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Slargos

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 17, 2011, 06:50:17 PM
GT clearly isn't perfect, but it looks better than it used to be.

One thing about this story that does bug me a little is the line of thinking that "some mere maid can destroy such an important man". Frankly, the fact that a mere hotel housekeeper can get the (hopeful) next President of any country arrested and yanked off a plane because she was wronged by him is an example of something that is very right about the United States.

Concur. Whenever I hear the types of sentiments expressed in the bolded part, the flames of my closet marxism are fanned to the point where I think I may explode at any moment.

And they're everywhere. The mindset is not dead, and it's not solely the domain of the upper class.

Ideas are hard to kill.

Almost as hard as the jews. [Yes, yes, it's that time of the month]

Frankly, this [the arrest] is one of the most redeeming features of American society. Might just be your salvation.

Monoriu

Am I the only one who is amazed about the quality of the online translator?  I've always thought that such translators are utter crap, because every time I use it, I get gibberish.  But that article was actually largely understandable. 

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I usually try to translate Japanese into Chinese, or English. 

Ed Anger

Quote from: Monoriu on May 17, 2011, 07:17:13 PM
Am I the only one who is amazed about the quality of the online translator?  I've always thought that such translators are utter crap, because every time I use it, I get gibberish.  But that article was actually largely understandable. 

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I usually try to translate Japanese into Chinese, or English.

Google's toolbar translator of the major languages ain't bad.

Slovak... utter crap though.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HisMajestyBOB

Probably because English and French aren't too dissimilar, but Japanese, Chinese, and English are all in different language families.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 17, 2011, 07:19:15 PM

Google's toolbar translator of the major languages ain't bad.

Slovak... utter crap though.
It's pretty damn good for Romance languages. I've translated French, Italian and Spanish articles and had them come out well.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Is there any reason to believe these charges have legitimacy? It would suck if this was completely made up and Dominique is going to have to sit in jail for a while.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on May 17, 2011, 07:55:25 PM
Is there any reason to believe these charges have legitimacy? It would suck if this was completely made up and Dominique is going to have to sit in jail for a while.
Circumstantial evidence, it seems.  Guy runs out of the hotel, takes the first plane (no reservation), and calls the hotel to make sure he didn't leave anything behind (don't know if he did).

All this from an excited radio op-ed piece, though, so some salt may be indicated.  Still, if true, it has some weight.  Maybe not a lot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Quote from: grumbler on May 17, 2011, 09:15:53 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 17, 2011, 07:55:25 PM
Circumstantial evidence, it seems.  Guy runs out of the hotel, takes the first plane (no reservation), and calls the hotel to make sure he didn't leave anything behind (don't know if he did).

All this from an excited radio op-ed piece, though, so some salt may be indicated.  Still, if true, it has some weight.  Maybe not a lot.
if he was trying to flee why call the hotel to see if he forgot something?

*edit and when was his stay up? i thought i had heard that his reservation was over when he signed out.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on May 17, 2011, 09:19:45 PM
if he was trying to flee why call the hotel to see if he forgot something?
Don't understand the question.  This wasn't slowing him down, and he had expensive shit.  He'd want it cared for.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Martim Silva on May 15, 2011, 07:27:16 AM

Wealthy people are corrupt at heart and truly believe they can do anything to any poor person whenever they want, without consequence. And I've seen that happen. My grandfather and uncle always raped their maids.

What is it with Europeans and rape?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on May 17, 2011, 09:19:45 PM
*edit and when was his stay up? i thought i had heard that his reservation was over when he signed out.
Dunno about this.  All I really have is the one excited report.  The evidence at the hearing was not trotted out.  Friday's arraignment will tell us more.

Bayraktar!