Ind. S.C. "No right to resist illegal cop entry"; Ind. legislature strikes back

Started by jimmy olsen, May 14, 2011, 12:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on May 14, 2011, 03:23:13 PM
While this ruling may be fine under Indiana law, I don't see how it could pass muster in a federal court--it seems at odds with the constittuional protection against unreasonable searches.

As far as I know you're not authorized to use force defend yourself against other infringements on constitutional rights, are you?

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2011, 03:35:04 PM
Quote from: dps on May 14, 2011, 03:23:13 PM
While this ruling may be fine under Indiana law, I don't see how it could pass muster in a federal court--it seems at odds with the constittuional protection against unreasonable searches.

As far as I know you're not authorized to use force defend yourself against other infringements on constitutional rights, are you?

Generally speaking, not directly, but if those infringements involve unlawful entry into your home, then you should be able to use violence just as you would be alllowed in any other case of unlawful entry.

Slargos

So if a cop decides to break into your home and rape your wife, you have no legal right to defend yourself?

dps

Quote from: Slargos on May 14, 2011, 03:44:32 PM
So if a cop decides to break into your home and rape your wife, you have no legal right to defend yourself?

Apparantly not in Indiana.  You just get to sue the cop later.  Which, if you don't really care all that much about your wife, could be a windfall.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on May 14, 2011, 08:53:31 AM
We had a terrible case in Canada that went the other way.  POlice were executing a search warrant in Montreal.  The accused claimed he did not hear them yell "police!" and shot one of the officers, killing him.  He was acquitted at trial.
We had a terrible case in Atlanta that went the other way.  Police were executing a no-knock search warrant issued in defiance of the requirements for no-knock warrants, and when the 61-year-old woman in the house fired a round into the ceiling to scare them off, the police killed her.   The four were all allowed to avoid murder charges by pleading guilty to "conspiracy to violate civil rights resulting in death," whatever that is.  They also confessed to extortion, burglary, and various other charges arising out of the wide-spread police conspiracy to steal drugs seized in raids.  They got less than half the recommended sentences (one of the killers serving less than five years and only more than six). 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Wrong thread.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on May 14, 2011, 04:01:21 PM
Wrong thread.

Wrong life.  :hug:

grumbler

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on May 14, 2011, 04:18:12 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 14, 2011, 04:03:56 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 14, 2011, 04:01:21 PM
Wrong thread.

Wrong life.  :hug:
Oh, is that your mistake?  I thought you were just posting in the wrong thread.    :lol:

Oh, is that your mistake? I thought you were just putting off killing yourself because you thought your existence had meaning.   :lol:

Eddie Teach

Grumbler is a living organism and thus has a survival instinct.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Slargos on May 14, 2011, 04:20:31 PM
Oh, is that your mistake? I thought you were just putting off killing yourself because you thought your existence had meaning.   :lol:
You thought:  poorly.

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on May 14, 2011, 04:55:43 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 14, 2011, 04:20:31 PM
You thought:  poorly.

You thought: not at all.

Ideologue

Quote from: dps on May 14, 2011, 03:47:05 PM

Apparantly not in Indiana.  You just get to sue the cop later.  Which, if you don't really care all that much about your wife, could be a windfall.

I assume that the ruling is limited to cops entering under color of authority.  I suppose a cop could claim to be acting under color of authority while he's violating your wife, but this seems so transparently wrong as to make his occupation merely coincidental to his being shot in the face.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jamesww

Quote from: grumbler on May 14, 2011, 04:00:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 14, 2011, 08:53:31 AM
We had a terrible case in Canada that went the other way.  POlice were executing a search warrant in Montreal.  The accused claimed he did not hear them yell "police!" and shot one of the officers, killing him.  He was acquitted at trial.
We had a terrible case in Atlanta that went the other way.  Police were executing a no-knock search warrant issued in defiance of the requirements for no-knock warrants, and when the 61-year-old woman in the house fired a round into the ceiling to scare them off, the police killed her.   The four were all allowed to avoid murder charges by pleading guilty to "conspiracy to violate civil rights resulting in death," whatever that is.  They also confessed to extortion, burglary, and various other charges arising out of the wide-spread police conspiracy to steal drugs seized in raids.  They got less than half the recommended sentences (one of the killers serving less than five years and only more than six).

Interesting.

Over here, given that guns killings of or by police are far less common, my gut instinct is it's harder to find police responsible for an 'unlawful killing'*.

*an inquest verdict in England and Wales