News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gaddafi Has Gone To A Better Place ?

Started by jamesww, May 13, 2011, 03:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesww

Nato 'cannot reach me', Gaddafi says

Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi has said he is in a place where Nato bombs "cannot reach", in an audio message broadcast on state television.

He also condemned as cowardly an attack on his compound in Tripoli on Thursday.

Libyan officials said the strike killed three people. Nato officials said a command-and-control bunker was hit.

Col Gaddafi's statement came after Italy's foreign minister said he had probably been wounded in an air strike and was believed to have left Tripoli.

Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini said he heard the report from the Roman Catholic bishop of Tripoli, Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli.

"He told us that Gaddafi is very probably outside Tripoli and is probably also wounded. We don't know where or how," he said.

Mr Frattini also said international pressure was causing "the disintegration of the regime from the inside".

The Vatican's spokesman, Father Federico Lombardi, told the BBC that he could not confirm that Bishop Martinelli had made the comments.

Libyan government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim said the report was "nonsense". He insisted Col Gaddafi was had not been harmed by any strikes and was "leading the country day by day" from Tripoli.

"The leader is in very good health, high morale and high spirits."

rest of the article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/world-africa-13397327

Incidentally I once played Gaddafi in an 3-day academic crisis management game, iirc I ended up having him send some subs to attack civilian Israeli shipping, provoking a US invasion of Libya, before I 'retreated' to a Bedouin tent in the Libyan desert.  :cool: