John Demjanjuk convicted of aiding murder of 27,900 Jews in Holocaust

Started by jimmy olsen, May 13, 2011, 01:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesww

This thread is worthless without a contribution from Hortland.   :(

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Slargos on May 13, 2011, 01:29:27 PM
Firstly, it's not murder if it's approved by the state, and this was very much approved by the state.

But the state is just a mechanism put in place by a ruling class to effectuate exploitation of others, and thus is just an empty instrument of the powerful.  So this is a meaningless distinction.

QuoteSecondly, you have no idea what Demjanjuk actually DID

He worked at a Ford auto plant around the late 50s or early 60s - just as the entire US auto industry starting to go right in the toilet.  Coincidence?  Don't be so naive.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: jamesww on May 13, 2011, 04:02:29 PM
This thread is worthless without a contribution from Hortland.   :(

Heh, I see I wasn't the only one who thought of Hortlund when someone mentioned "Other Losses".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 13, 2011, 04:08:29 PM
He worked at a Ford auto plant around the late 50s or early 60s - just as the entire US auto industry starting to go right in the toilet.  Coincidence?  Don't be so naive.

I think you're confusing the 1950s with the 1970s...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2011, 04:09:25 PM

I think you're confusing the 1950s with the 1970s...

One word: Edsel.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: Drakken on May 13, 2011, 12:29:39 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 13, 2011, 12:19:04 PM

Difference of course is that I was joking, whereas you are completely serious.

Come on. You don't give medals to people for doing their damn jobs.

Really..

Except that this wasn't a job, it was murder on a very large scale, and most of them did it because they enjoyed the idea of murdering Jews. Then they attempted to whitewash it as "the devil made me do it" or "I was ordered to" or "if I didn't do it, I would be dead".

I am completely serious that each and every one of them should be hanging by the neck, yeah, and not given life or freed under humanitarian reasons. I just anted up your shock shtick a bit more. I wasn't serious, it was all second degree and I expected (wrongly) that most people here had the common sense to see it as shock.

But Demjanjuk was one of the likes who certainly had a boner doing his "job", as you put it.

Except that his defense wasn't that he was acting under orders, or that he did it to save his own life.  His defense was, "I was never a camp guard". 

At the time that accusations were first leveled at him, the case against him was, as far as I could tell from the newspapers, that camp survivors recognized his face.  The problem was, the papers showed photos of the camp guard, "Ivan the Terrible", and of Demjanjuk, and I can't see any way that anyone on a jury could look at those photos side by side,  decide beyond a reasonable doubt that they were the same guy.  And if you can't look at the photos and decide that, I don't see how you can rely on eyewitnesses, either. 

Just to make it clear, I'm not saying that Demjanjuk wasn't a camp guard, nor I'm I defending the actions of camp guards--I'm just saying that I find his claim to be the victiim of mistaken identity plausible.

Legbiter

Quote from: Drakken on May 13, 2011, 12:53:01 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 13, 2011, 12:51:02 PM
I really don't know how connected to the seduction community Drakken is, or how accurate media portrayals of the community is, but if they are accurate, the seduction community takes an extremely patronizing view toward women.

I'm not. Yes, they got some of my attention a long time ago, and I made the mistake of talking about it here at the time.

For what it's worth, I haven't paid a damn buck for anything.

It's just a heckle garbon has thrown repeatedly onto me during discussions, gratuitously like some bitch in need of attention, even he wasn't even involved in, because he doesn't like my jaded view of women and romance in general (or because he genuinely dislikes me, which is his right). 

It stuck, because obviously everything garbon says here is gospel, and got rolled around as an ad hominem each time I would post something in here, like some big old Monty Python wink-wink nudge-nudge fart joke that people still think it's funny.

I was actually intrigued by your sales pitch as I used to lay 'em like cordwood as if every single day was my last here on Earth, back when I was 16-20. What I found via Google was guys teaching what for me were the basics, act ever so teasing/cocky and funny with a pinch of aloof when hitting on women, look into their eyes, subtly dismiss the cockblock girlfriend, tease her like an elder brother if she seems full of herself, etc.

This is all common sense for the socially aware, but I can see the utility, even if it's just about getting guys out of the basements and back into human society. Plus, some of the pickup philosophy is great common sense for keeping a marriage going.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

Quote from: Legbiter on May 13, 2011, 05:53:02 PM
This is all common sense for the socially aware, but I can see the utility, even if it's just about getting guys out of the basements and back into human society. Plus, some of the pickup philosophy is great common sense for keeping a marriage going.

Perhaps those basement dwellers aren't socially useful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on May 13, 2011, 04:23:06 PM
Quote from: Drakken on May 13, 2011, 12:29:39 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 13, 2011, 12:19:04 PM

Difference of course is that I was joking, whereas you are completely serious.

Come on. You don't give medals to people for doing their damn jobs.

Really..

Except that this wasn't a job, it was murder on a very large scale, and most of them did it because they enjoyed the idea of murdering Jews. Then they attempted to whitewash it as "the devil made me do it" or "I was ordered to" or "if I didn't do it, I would be dead".

I am completely serious that each and every one of them should be hanging by the neck, yeah, and not given life or freed under humanitarian reasons. I just anted up your shock shtick a bit more. I wasn't serious, it was all second degree and I expected (wrongly) that most people here had the common sense to see it as shock.

But Demjanjuk was one of the likes who certainly had a boner doing his "job", as you put it.

Except that his defense wasn't that he was acting under orders, or that he did it to save his own life.  His defense was, "I was never a camp guard". 

At the time that accusations were first leveled at him, the case against him was, as far as I could tell from the newspapers, that camp survivors recognized his face.  The problem was, the papers showed photos of the camp guard, "Ivan the Terrible", and of Demjanjuk, and I can't see any way that anyone on a jury could look at those photos side by side,  decide beyond a reasonable doubt that they were the same guy.  And if you can't look at the photos and decide that, I don't see how you can rely on eyewitnesses, either. 

Just to make it clear, I'm not saying that Demjanjuk wasn't a camp guard, nor I'm I defending the actions of camp guards--I'm just saying that I find his claim to be the victiim of mistaken identity plausible.
I agree, after 70 years of aging it's hard for me to imagine that an ID can be made from a photo alone.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Quote from: Slargos on May 13, 2011, 01:29:27 PM
Firstly, it's not murder if it's approved by the state, and this was very much approved by the state.

But the state is just a mechanism put in place by a ruling class to effectuate exploitation of others, and thus is just an empty instrument of the powerful.  So this is a meaningless distinction.

:lol:

Well played.

However, for the purpose of semantics, this objection doesn't matter.[/quote]

Pat

And we all know semantics is what matters. Just ask grumbler.

Legbiter

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2011, 08:29:32 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on May 13, 2011, 05:53:02 PM

Perhaps those basement dwellers aren't socially useful.

But with the advent of feminism, the pill, abortion and just general grrl power we get stuck with guys like Slargos. A generation or 2 back, him having a steady job along with a smart noggin would have guaranteed him a wife and family. Now he can't get a relationship going because he has to have enough of a peacock personality to compete in an arena where women ride the cock carousel until they hit the wall and then suddenly get desperate to settle and have babies.

Only then do they latch onto Slargos's brethren, but the catch is they're often peddling 30 something wares at that point.

I propose the Languish version of the Manhattan Project: Get Slargos to go steady, you can help coordinate the anatomy part.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive