Main Menu

GOProud!

Started by Martinus, April 16, 2009, 11:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteApril 15, 2009
New Gay Conservative Group Launches
By Kerry Eleveld
Two former Log Cabin Republicans officially introduced on Wednesday their new, breakaway group for gay conservatives, GOProud, a 527 political action committee.

"April 15th is rarely an exciting, or a day of celebration, for conservatives," Chris Barron, GOProud's chairman of the Board of Directors, said at the Capitol Hill Club in Washington, D.C. "Today is an exception, because today is a very exciting day for conservatives, particularly for gay conservatives."

Barron said GOProud had been founded because of "a void on the federal stage" for gay conservatives and that their main goal was "to help return conservative majorities to the Senate and the House in 2010 and return a conservative to the White House in 2012."

Barron worked for two years as Log Cabin's national political director and Jimmy LaSalvia, GOProud's executive director, spent a couple years with LCR as outreach director and then policy director. The third founder, who was not present at the press conference, is GOProud board member Bruce Carroll, who is best known for launching GayPatriot.org in 2004.

Both Barron and LaSalvia interviewed recently to be Log Cabin's executive director -- a position that has yet to be filled -- but they were passed over for the job.

The formation of their new group, they said, was not motivated by a personal grudge against Log Cabin as much as a difference of opinion over priorities.

"Quite honestly, I don't see it as competition," said Barron. "We're working on a set of issues that Log Cabin's not working on." He praised LCR's work on a state and local level but noted that part of the group's main priorities included passing legislation on hate crimes, employment nondiscrimination, safe schools, and relationship recognition. "All laudable goals," said Barron, "but it's just not stuff we're going to be working on."

GOProud's press release laid out a 10-point legislative plan that emphasized federal issues such as tax reform (including repeal of the estate tax and equitable tax treatment for domestic partners), free-market health care reform that would allow people to buy plans across state lines (theoretically increasing access to same-sex couples who could buy insurance from states where insurers offer domestic partner coverage), and privatizing social security by creating inheritable personal savings accounts (same-sex partners are currently prevented from receiving social security survivor benefits).

Barron and LaSalvia said their goal was to raise $500,000 this year but gave no details about their funding sources other than to say they had "donors all across the country." They hope to increase that number next year as they head into an election cycle.

"First, we've got to build the infrastructure and that's what this year's about: getting the message out, growing our ranks, building our data base, building our donor data base and then preparing for 2010 so that we can be an active participant," Barron said.

The group got a little boost in spreading their message the past couple weeks with a story on Politico.com and then an editorial written by former Bush speechwriter, William McGurn, in The Wall Street Journal. Barron noted that hundreds of people sought them out following the coverage and estimated they had attracted around 500 members so far.

The target audience for GOProud, said LaSalvia, was "a little bit younger and more Internet savvy." Though the organization has no plans to hire field staff, they anticipate posting regular videos and podcasts to their site and capitalizing on mass text messaging to engage people.

Log Cabin is hosting their national convention later this week in Washington, D.C., where John McCain's daughter, Meghan McCain, and his chief strategist during last year's election, Steve Schmidt, will both be speaking.

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid79143.asp

Next: Jews who secretly believe in Jesus.  :lol:

garbon

Despite the name, the legislative points as summarized in the article sound lovely.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

A new group for garbon to join!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2009, 11:13:52 AMNext: Jews who secretly believe in Jesus.  :lol:
Our Christian Democrat party has a Turkish subgroup.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 11:25:39 AM
A new group for garbon to join!

I like pride. -_-

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2009, 11:13:52 AM

Believe it or not I am pretty sure that all gays dont think alike.

garbon

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 11:33:22 AM
I like pride. -_-

Wow, where my mind goes. I actually meant to write: I don't have pride -_-

:blush:

Faeelin

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 11:25:01 AM
Despite the name, the legislative points as summarized in the article sound lovely.

Meh. It's not clear to me how the Log Cabins don't care about these ideas.

garbon

Quote from: Faeelin on April 16, 2009, 11:55:14 AM
Meh. It's not clear to me how the Log Cabins don't care about these ideas.

QuoteHe praised LCR's work on a state and local level but noted that part of the group's main priorities included passing legislation on hate crimes, employment nondiscrimination, safe schools, and relationship recognition. "All laudable goals," said Barron, "but it's just not stuff we're going to be working on."

Martinus

So the difference is that LCR are politely asking Republicans to stop gaybashing them, and these guys don't even go that far.  :lol:

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2009, 11:47:45 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2009, 11:13:52 AM

Believe it or not I am pretty sure that all gays dont think alike.
Well, I bet not all Jews hated Hitler either.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2009, 11:59:29 AM
So the difference is that LCR are politely asking Republicans to stop gaybashing them, and these guys don't even go that far.  :lol:

Actually it seems that GOProud are focusing on issues that also have benefits to straight people...whereas the Log Cabin Republicans include a lot of issues that have little to no tangible benefit to straight people.

PDH

How the fuck am I supposed to pronounce "GOProud" anyway?  They need another "p" in there.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Berkut

Count on Marty to be offended that there are republicans who think being gay is not a terrible thing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned