News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

March Madness 2009

Started by derspiess, March 11, 2009, 10:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

WVU dominated last night, then had to hang on to win ugly vs. ND last night.  The 'Cuse-Seton Hall game was semi-competitive for 25 minutes or so, but then became entertaining for the technicals & flagrant fouls :)

WVU has to face Pitt yet again.  I guess to think of it a little differently, Pitt will have to have beaten WVU 3 times to advance tonight.

I might take a late lunch to watch Marquette-Nova.  That should be a hell of a game.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2009, 09:35:08 AM
WVU dominated last night, then had to hang on to win ugly vs. ND last night.  The 'Cuse-Seton Hall game was semi-competitive for 25 minutes or so, but then became entertaining for the technicals & flagrant fouls :)

WVU has to face Pitt yet again.  I guess to think of it a little differently, Pitt will have to have beaten WVU 3 times to advance tonight.

I might take a late lunch to watch Marquette-Nova.  That should be a hell of a game.

You freaking lucky Big East fans.  I wish my part of the country was this excited about the Basketball Tournament or had so many good teams.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Vince

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2009, 10:17:27 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2009, 09:35:08 AM

You freaking luck Big East fans.  I wish my part of the country was this excited about the Basketball Tournament or had so many good teams.

Syracuse practically shuts down this time of the year.  It's really the only week where you can get away with doing nothing at work.   :D

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2009, 10:17:27 AM
You freaking lucky Big East fans.  I wish my part of the country was this excited about the Basketball Tournament or had so many good teams.

Cincy is a college hoops town.  College football is a different story, and I would imagine your area has us beaten in terms of enthusiasm ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

I heard on the radio that North Dakota State has qualified for the tourney.

heh

I spent a lot of time on that campus while in university.  Good for those guys.  Go Bison!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2009, 01:06:32 PM
I heard on the radio that North Dakota State has qualified for the tourney.

heh

I spent a lot of time on that campus while in university.  Good for those guys.  Go Bison!

Yeah, the NCAA has a rule that all Division I teams that win their conference title get an automatic bid to the NCAA tourney.  I'm guessing they'll be a 15 or 14 seed.

Barrister

Apparently it's their first year in Div I.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2009, 01:19:19 PM

Are you sure?  I could have sworn they had appeard in the tournament before.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2009, 01:26:55 PM

Are you sure?  I could have sworn they had appeard in the tournament before.

Pretty sure.  I had 10 hours of driving to do on Tuesday and Wednesday, and I find the mindless chatter of ESPN Radio a good way to pass the time.  They definitely said this was the first year NDSU was even eligible for the NCAA Tourney.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2009, 01:18:15 PM
Yeah, the NCAA has a rule that all Division I teams that win their conference title get an automatic bid to the NCAA tourney.  I'm guessing they'll be a 15 or 14 seed.

This is one of the best rules out there.  It allows schools like Gonzaga to emerge out of obscurity as major powers.

It is one of the things that makes College Basketball so much better than College Football in the way the championship is decided.  Every team theoretically can win it all.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2009, 01:29:54 PM
Pretty sure.  I had 10 hours of driving to do on Tuesday and Wednesday, and I find the mindless chatter of ESPN Radio a good way to pass the time.  They definitely said this was the first year NDSU was even eligible for the NCAA Tourney.

Actually it looks like no school from either Dakota had ever made it.  I must have been thinking about one of the Montana schools.

derspiess

Cool-- I bet they have a lot of students who suddenly found themselves to be raving basketball fans ;) 

I actually like that the smaller programs get invited-- makes for a more exciting tournament than simply inviting the top 64 teams.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2009, 01:43:44 PM

Cool-- I bet they have a lot of students who suddenly found themselves to be raving basketball fans ;) 

I actually like that the smaller programs get invited-- makes for a more exciting tournament than simply inviting the top 64 teams.

Well it's made me a one-time-only NCAA Basketball Tourney fan.

Seriously - I spent a lot of time at NDSU...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2009, 01:38:15 PM
Actually it looks like no school from either Dakota had ever made it.  I must have been thinking about one of the Montana schools.
Maybe you're thinking of Wyoming?  They made a run a couple years back with Big Country.  Won me some nice pool money.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 12, 2009, 01:52:16 PM
Maybe you're thinking of Wyoming?  They made a run a couple years back with Big Country.  Won me some nice pool money.

The only Big Country I know of is Big Country Reeves of Oklahoma State fame.

No I am definitely thinking of Montana.