And we're back!

Main Menu

Scrap Heap Panzers

Started by Ape, April 15, 2009, 07:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ape

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5ieJBvv9fBtCP9fMVoDwwNMdZDdHA

Not sure if Timmay posted this before The Fall

QuoteVODEN, Bulgaria (AFP) — Until recently, more than 100 rusty military tanks lay half-buried and almost forgotten in deserted fields near Bulgaria's southeastern border, planted as a Cold War deterrent to NATO's southern flank.

But the theft of a rare vintage model sent the army scurrying this month to start a recovery operation to save those still left from looters.

"Collectors, and especially the fans of the 'Fuehrer' (Hitler) ... are prepared to pay huge sums of money to have one of these," the deputy director of Sofia's military history museum, Blagoy Milenov, told AFP.

Demand was such that a Russian collector even tried to buy one of the museum's own models, a German Panzer IV, offering to pay five million leva (2.5 million euros, 3.6 million dollars), he said.

Most of Bulgaria's tanks, many dating back to World War II, were smelted down.

But the former communist regime, a member of the now-defunct Warsaw Pact, intentionally buried others on the frontier with Turkey, which was a member of the rival North Atlantic Treaty Organisation. The tanks acted as a Cold War line of defence should NATO forces attack.

After the dissolution of the Warsaw Pact in 1991, these tanks and their adjacent bunkers were eventually forgotten by the army, but not by the looters. They moved in to strip and sell the guns, hatches, even whole turrets for scrap -- a lucrative business in cash-hungry Bulgaria.

"Bulgaria received some 97 German Panzer IV tanks, about 100 Sturmgeschuetz III assault guns and Jagdpanzer IV tank destroyers when it joined the Nazis in World War II," said museum director Milenov.

Nearly half of these, around 40, were buried as defensive positions along the southeast borders, he said.

A second line of more than 100 Soviet-built T-34 tanks was then added following the 1974 Cyprus crisis. This was when an Athens-sponsored attempt to take control of the Mediterranean island led to Turkish intervention and occupation of about one-third of Cyprus.

The mysterious disappearance of a World War II tank from the Lesovo region between October and December 2007 suddenly threw a spotlight on the forgotten wrecks.

Major Geno Kalev, who heads the recovery effort, told AFP the stolen tank was a Jagdpanzer IV L/70 model.

Local villagers nicknamed it "The Queen", saying it had a special plate that identified it as a personal present from Adolf Hitler to the former Bulgarian queen, Joanna.

"Rumor has it that was the only tank that had upholstery inside," Kalev said.

In December, the defence ministry said two Germans and a Bulgarian army officer had been arrested for trying to sell it abroad to collectors, who were apparently ready to pay millions of euros.

But the tank is still missing: investigators suspect it -- or its parts -- have been smuggled to Germany.

The stolen tank was one of about 30 L/70 models remaining worldwide, said Milenov.

But an even rarer tank was recovered this week, according to Major Kalev. The Jagdpanzer IV L/48 model dug out of the field is one of only six of its kind in the world, he said.

So far, 12 tanks have been pulled from the fields since the operation started on Feburary 6. A defence ministry agency is storing them until the army decides their fate.

"We've been promised that we'll be allowed to choose which tanks to take for the military history museum," said Milenov. "And we've also already suggested that the rest can be sold to collectors."

But the army, despite its huge recovery effort, has raised doubts about their real value.

Kalev said all of the tanks recovered so far had already been stripped by looters.

"We started recovering them to save them from the scrap gangs. But what we're finding more resembles just holed-out soup cans," he said.

"My personal opinion is that they're no good for anything," he added, pointing to the rusty hull of a Panzer IV.

Would be kinda cool to have a Panzer IV in the backyard  :cool:

jimmy olsen

How were buried tanks supposed to intimidate the Turks?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 15, 2009, 07:26:17 PM

Well they were to be supported by buried infantry.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2009, 07:35:08 PM

:lmfao: Milk almost came out of my nose when I read that!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

My guess is the Bulgarians did what the Finns did with some of their Panzer IVs, buried the hulls with the turrets or guns exposed to use them as static defensive positions.

Habbaku

:lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

saskganesh

Quote from: vonmoltke on April 15, 2009, 07:59:56 PM

My guess is the Bulgarians did what the Finns did with some of their Panzer IVs, buried the hulls with the turrets or guns exposed to use them as static defensive positions.

the Wehrmacht did that as well in '44 and '45. they had little fuel, were on the defensive, and had no air cover to protect mobile armored columns.

best use of the Tiger found to date.
humans were created in their own image

Razgovory

Quote from: saskganesh on April 15, 2009, 08:21:33 PM

the Wehrmacht did that as well in '44 and '45. they had little fuel, were on the defensive, and had no air cover to protect mobile armored columns.

best use of the Tiger found to date.

The Iraqis did this during the Iran-Iraq war and both gulf wars.  It wasn't very useful.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

:)

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

KRonn

A guy I knew had a WW2 US Stuart light tank. Got it stuck and mired in a swamp in the town forest, and left it there. That was many years ago. I assume the town or someone removed it long ago.

derspiess

Soviets did that as well.  Seems asinine (at least the way the Soviets did it) to take a wonderfully mobile weapon & fix it in one emplacement. 

A tank's engine is as much a weapon as its gun & all that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

:D
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on April 16, 2009, 02:44:47 PM

Soviets did that as well.  Seems asinine (at least the way the Soviets did it) to take a wonderfully mobile weapon & fix it in one emplacement. 

A tank's engine is as much a weapon as its gun & all that.

Especially Soviet engines.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Mr.Penguin

The Sovjet also placed outdated Josef Stalin Tanks as static defence along the chinese Border doing the cold war, they are still there rusting away...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

derspiess

Anyway, I think "Scrap Heap Panzers" sounds like an awesome name for a band.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall