News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Where's Siberia? (professional sports)

Started by viper37, May 04, 2011, 03:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

If you look at NHL, NFL, NBA and MLB, wich franchise would you consider as being Siberia, i.e. the place where a team would ship a player in exchange of virtually nothing, just to get rid of him?

Limited to existing franchise only.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

:huh:

I don't think such a thing would occur in the NFL.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Pittsburgh Pirates or Kansas City in Baseball.

Basketball, the Clippers or the Nets.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

The Buffalo Bills.  The Witness Protection Program of the NFL.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2011, 03:12:36 PM
Yeah but to his OP, why would you do a trade for nothing?

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on May 04, 2011, 03:13:25 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2011, 03:12:36 PM
Yeah but to his OP, why would you do a trade for nothing?

IN salary cap leagues it happens frequently.  You do it to dump salary off your books.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Caliga on May 04, 2011, 03:04:14 PM
:huh:

I don't think such a thing would occur in the NFL.

It used to be New Orleans.  Back before the NFLPA was recognized, lots of player reps got traded to the Saints.  Of course, it wasn't just player reps, but anyone a particular owner wanted to both get rid of, and send somewhere the player probably didn't want to go.  To make it even better for the rest of the league, the Saints were so poorly run that you didn't even have to trade the player for nothing to get the Saints to take him;  you could usually at least get value for the trade and often fleece the Saints.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2011, 03:15:27 PM
IN salary cap leagues it happens frequently.  You do it to dump salary off your books.

Why is Siberia willing to pick up the salary?  Presumably they operate under a cap too.

Razgovory

Dumping a player to the Rams would be just cruel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Quote from: dps on May 04, 2011, 03:17:43 PM
To make it even better for the rest of the league, the Saints were so poorly run that you didn't even have to trade the player for nothing to get the Saints to take him;  you could usually at least get value for the trade and often fleece the Saints.
Yeah, that sounds more like it.

Eddie Teach

OP makes no sense. Teams that are anxious to get rid of a player can always just cut them and teams shopping players around are going to go with the one that offers them the best deal.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 05, 2011, 07:23:45 AM
OP makes no sense. Teams that are anxious to get rid of a player can always just cut them and teams shopping players around are going to go with the one that offers them the best deal.

No, the idea isn't just to let the player go and leave him free to find a place that he wants to go to and that wants him;  it's to be vindictive and send him someplace undesirable.  Petty, yes, but it does happen.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2011, 09:00:59 PM
Why is Siberia willing to pick up the salary?  Presumably they operate under a cap too.
Sometimes, a player moving elsewhere will change his attitude, work harder and start to perform.
Say, John Leclair.  He was playing the Canadiens on the 3rd or 4th trio.  Barely a noticeable player, laughing stock of the fans, overpayed player.  He got traded to Philadelphia.  He played with Eric Lindros and suddenly became the #2 player of the team for a real bargain.

Mike Ribeiro.  A reputation of a party goer in Montreal.   Some shit came out in the papers, he got traded to some weird team in the US.  He's a star player there now.

Serguei Kostytsyn.  Overpaid in Montreal, regularly made the headlines for refusing to speak with journalists and had some stories supposedly involving organized crime.  Got traded to Nashville for next to nothing.  He's now a star player there.

Plenty of examples like that.  Some player are abandonned and take a while to be recuited.  Marc-AndrĂ© Bergeron was laid off by the Canadiens.  Took him six months to get a contract in the NHL, but he finally landed in Tampa Bay.  He's now a valid asset of the team in playoffs.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.