Obama says he won't release bin Laden death photo

Started by garbon, May 04, 2011, 01:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on May 06, 2011, 09:45:53 AM
This sorta reminds me of the whole birth certificate nonsense. Whatever else Obama is, he's a long-term thinker when it comes to politics. He allowed various opponents to make fools of themselves over this "birther" foolishness until everyone was sick of it ... and only *then* released his birth certificate, demonstrating in the most obvious possible way that they were full of stupid.

The birth certificate thing was starting to turn against him, I think.  Thankfully none of his 'serious' political opponents took the bait, save for maybe Shielbh's boy, Huckabee.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Norgy on May 06, 2011, 11:54:57 AM
Osama dead > Janet Jackson nipple slip.

No shit.  Flabby odl 45 year old titty.  Pfft.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2011, 05:53:23 PM
Quote from: Norgy on May 06, 2011, 11:54:57 AM
Osama dead > Janet Jackson nipple slip.

No shit.  Flabby odl 45 year old titty.  Pfft.

Yeah.  Now if the nipple slip had come 20 years earlier...

Alcibiades

I'm willing to bet it is probably because he was executed, and not shot from across the room in self-defense.

Not that I have a problem with that at all, but many would/do.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on May 05, 2011, 02:21:40 AM
This justification sounds like a bit of a stretch. "So we just made a whole show of telling you that we killed Osama, but uh oh we won't show the picture, because that could *really* piss off the terrorists".  :hmm:

Seriously, it's as if they were deliberately fueling conspiracy theories. First the "sea burial", now this.
Maybe Obama is kicking himself for having released his birth certificate too early, or having killed Bin Laden too early for that matter.  Maybe that's exactly what his plan is, to give new fuel to the nuts, and then release the photo right before elections.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on May 07, 2011, 03:06:55 AM
This justification sounds like a bit of a stretch. "So we just made a whole show of telling you that we killed Osama, but uh oh we won't show the picture, because that could *really* piss off the terrorists".  :hmm:

Seriously, it's as if they were deliberately fueling conspiracy theories. First the "sea burial", now this.
Maybe Obama is kicking himself for having released his birth certificate too early, or having killed Bin Laden too early for that matter.  Maybe that's exactly what his plan is, to give new fuel to the nuts, and then release the photo right before elections.

Hmm, that would be quite clever. Bait the conspiracy theory nuts until the Republican primaries are over, hoping the candidate they choose is a nut too - and then compromise his position by debunking the theories in several easy moves.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Alcibiades on May 07, 2011, 03:02:54 AM
I'm willing to bet it is probably because he was executed, and not shot from across the room in self-defense.

An entry wound in the back of the head is hardly conclusive evidence of an execution.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on May 07, 2011, 03:26:57 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 07, 2011, 03:06:55 AM

Hmm, that would be quite clever. Bait the conspiracy theory nuts until the Republican primaries are over, hoping the candidate they choose is a nut too - and then compromise his position by debunking the theories in several easy moves.
:contract: see my post upthread ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Bluebook

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 07, 2011, 12:45:07 PM
Quote from: Alcibiades on May 07, 2011, 03:02:54 AM

An entry wound in the back of the head is hardly conclusive evidence of an execution.

An exit wound in the face on the other hand...

I mean, an entry wound in the back of the head would barely be visible because of all the hair...right?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Bluebook on May 07, 2011, 02:17:07 PM
An exit wound in the face on the other hand...

I mean, an entry wound in the back of the head would barely be visible because of all the hair...right?

Same thing.  Exit wound in the face would not be conclusive proof of the execution of a surrendered prisoner.

Bluebook

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 07, 2011, 02:21:39 PM

Same thing.  Exit wound in the face would not be conclusive proof of the execution of a surrendered prisoner.

Perhaps not conclusive proof, but it would be a pretty damning circumstance which would need a pretty good explanation.

Dont get me wrong though, I would have no objection, neither moral nor legal, if he was executed.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Bluebook on May 07, 2011, 02:58:52 PM
Perhaps not conclusive proof, but it would be a pretty damning circumstance which would need a pretty good explanation.

Disagree.  The compound contained 22 people, many of them armed.  The SEALs were racing against a 30 minute clock.  A team runs into Osama's room, he turns away, possibly either to pick up a weapon or to head to another exit, the good guys are not in a position to hold their fire and bring in an interpreter to negotiate Osama's surrender.

Bluebook

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 07, 2011, 03:09:06 PM
Quote from: Bluebook on May 07, 2011, 02:58:52 PM

Disagree.  The compound contained 22 people, many of them armed.  The SEALs were racing against a 30 minute clock.  A team runs into Osama's room, he turns away, possibly either to pick up a weapon or to head to another exit, the good guys are not in a position to hold their fire and bring in an interpreter to negotiate Osama's surrender.

Look, Im not saying that its impossible to conjure up a scenario in which there would be a good explanation. And I dont want to get into a discussion about how likely scenario 1, 2 or 3 are. Im just saying that a picture of OBL with an exit hole in the face would probably send the arab world into an outrage.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Bluebook on May 07, 2011, 03:23:41 PM
Look, Im not saying that its impossible to conjure up a scenario in which there would be a good explanation. And I dont want to get into a discussion about how likely scenario 1, 2 or 3 are. Im just saying that a picture of OBL with an exit hole in the face would probably send the arab world into an outrage.

OK.  I thought you meant it would be pretty damning to *you*.