And we're back!

Main Menu

Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword

Started by JonasSalk, May 03, 2011, 02:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonasSalk

31 minute gameplay demonstration by a professional games reviewer

http://youtu.be/I0RA9ALOJFs

Game looks like it might be worth a shit, and it's relatively cheap at $15 ($13.49 for another 10 hours, or until about noon EST today.) I definitely have interest in building a big army of musketeers and having them completely destroy the world.

Yuman

Josquius

Looks a bit too much like just a Mount and Blade add on, not a true sequel. And Warband sucked.
But who knows. Could be worthwhile.
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

How is it actually different from Eagle and the Radiant Cross addon? That one already has firearms and other 16th century stuff.

JonasSalk

The game is addictive, but slow and there's no easily-found manual unless you search online. There's plenty of small bugs, too, which kinda sucks. Thankfully, there's a demo available, so you can give it a try before to see if you like it.

If you've never played one of the games before, it's interesting and at least it's quite cheap. There's plenty of people doing multiplayer, but the MP is buggy, too.

Overall the game is good and is a lot of fun so far, especially since I can do ride-by sword-swings while going really fast on a horse. Using lances on a horse requires way too precise of a swing, so I typically just use a sword that allows me to do a long right-handed swing.
Yuman

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

HisMajestyBOB

I got Warband but I don't play it as much as I did M&B. I like the changes, but it doesn't seem different enough. What's new in F&S?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

JonasSalk

Guns, a new map based on Eastern Europe, that sorta thing. I'd wait a bit if I were you.
Yuman

Josquius

Oh, its out already, here I thought it was just under development. Interesting...
██████
██████
██████

JonasSalk

Wow, it's amazing what reading the manual will do. The manual explicitly states NOT to "left-click attack" with lances on horseback, and instead to aim the lance at the enemy. When your horse is going fast enough, you will "couch" the lance under your right arm and be able to aim it with the mouse. The faster the horse, the more damage you do. I just tried it in a custom battle and holy shit, Batman, lances are WAY awesome.

Recommended combat gear: Carbine or pistol with bullets, some sort of saber for close-quarters fighting on horseback, and the best lance you can find.
Yuman

Tonitrus

There are times when the left-click attack with the lance is more prudent...but your timing has to be perfect.

This is especially true when you're charging another person head on and he is also couched...if you go couched against him, the odds are sometimes 50/50 who's gonna die.  With good timing, the left-click at high speed will dominate them.

sbr

Quote from: JonasSalk on May 06, 2011, 10:02:03 PM
Wow, it's amazing what reading the manual will do. The manual explicitly states NOT to "left-click attack" with lances on horseback, and instead to aim the lance at the enemy. When your horse is going fast enough, you will "couch" the lance under your right arm and be able to aim it with the mouse. The faster the horse, the more damage you do. I just tried it in a custom battle and holy shit, Batman, lances are WAY awesome.

Recommended combat gear: Carbine or pistol with bullets, some sort of saber for close-quarters fighting on horseback, and the best lance you can find.

I have only played the first version, no Warband or this new one.  Rampaging though open fields and impaling enemies, especially other horsemen, with a lance in Mount and Blade is one of the most fun experiences in my 30+ year video game life.

JonasSalk

It's a shame a real company couldn't make a game like this. I'm having a shit ton of fun with this game even though it's buggy, the graphics aren't all that great, and it just isn't done amazingly well. Even still, I really like the game because there's nothing else like it.

They need to cut back on the "everybody has a gun" BS, though. I have gotten pretty damn good at being able to avoid being shot, but it's still ridic that every little peasant fucker has a musket and is waiting to shoot my ass down. No crossbows, either, wtf is up with that?
Yuman

JonasSalk

Another update today, but no patch notes available.  Must have just come out.  Not even Steam shows what it did.  Hmm.
Yuman

Solmyr

Probably because Taleworlds is having some technical problems on their website.

Josquius

So the Swedes have no quest it seems. Only the Poles and Russians and...Cossacks iirc?
Lame.

And guns anger me. Such a cheap way to die. The price changes are...strange. Money is so hard to come by now!
██████
██████
██████