The Obama "To Make Important Statement" MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, May 01, 2011, 09:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Wife: so how exactly did they do the DNA test without the body? :unsure:

Me: easy.  Just take some samples.  Hair or something.

Wife: speaking of samples, I know exactly which body part they'd cut off :contract:

Monoriu

I am still happy about his demise. 

Every time I travel, I am reminded that I have to pay an additional security tax, which the local tourism industry call the "bin laden" tax. 

So yes, it is personal  :mad:

Syt

"How perverted is the U.S. Government - '2 Girls 1 Cup in the White House'"

"... and how is this going to prove Osama's death?"
"What comes out at the end is important!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Slargos

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 04, 2011, 02:13:52 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/bin-ladens-war-against-the-us-economy/2011/04/27/AFDOPjfF_blog.html

I thought this was an interesting piece, now that the initial elation is over.

Indeed. Was it really worth almost sinking the entire economy, just to hunt down one guy? More lives (Western, I don't give a shit about the towel heads) have been lost in the Iraq/Afghanistan wars than have been lost to acts of terrorism, and they've certainly cost far more money. Wouldn't that cash have been better invested in MOABs and dropped randomly across the target areas?

The wars certainly haven't really solved anything, and they've resulted in yet more fifth column in our own societies.

Was this in fact an epic win for Osama?

I tend to think it might be so.

Syt

I liked Colbert's comment:
"Abottabad is 40 miles from Pakistan's capital Islamabad. That's like escaping Washington D.C. to hide in Baltimore ... only that Abottabad is much less dangerous."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Slargos on May 04, 2011, 12:37:29 PM

If you think that it was, I am relieved.  You have already been right once in the last year, so odds are overwhelmingly in favor of you being dead wrong here.  :hug:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Indeed. Was it really worth almost sinking the entire economy, just to hunt down one guy?

Not really but if you are going to do so you might as well be successful at it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Indeed. Was it really worth almost sinking the entire economy, just to hunt down one guy?

There were also plenty of other reasons of how the economy was battered and abused.   :contract:

The Brain

It's not that simple, Slarg. Osama wasn't just one guy. We know the terrorist but others knew the father, the husband, the guy who watches Jeopardy and shouts answers and then argues forever about how he was right when clearly he wasn't and how Trebek is a moron.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

What's this rumor starting to go around about Obama not knowing about the raid until after it was already started? Is this what the birthers are moving on to now?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

They should just quit while they're behind.  Then again, may not.  :hmm:

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on May 04, 2011, 02:28:32 PM

If you think that it was, I am relieved.  You have already been right once in the last year, so odds are overwhelmingly in favor of you being dead wrong here.  :hug:

If you have too many chromosomes, it would explain your line of thought.  :hug:

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 04, 2011, 03:00:03 PM
What's this rumor starting to go around about Obama not knowing about the raid until after it was already started? Is this what the birthers are moving on to now?
:unsure:

Even if that was true... who cares?  The President is supposed to know every single thing going on in the country at all times?  I didn't realize the birthers wanted God to be Pres... oh wait, never mind, that makes sense. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points