How Many Mississippi Voters Wish the South Had Won the Civil War?

Started by jimmy olsen, April 28, 2011, 09:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 02, 2011, 12:45:23 AM
Quote from: JonasSalk on May 02, 2011, 12:14:28 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 01, 2011, 02:16:35 PM
Actually, enslaving part of your population and not allowing them to have a political voice does make their national conscience less valid.

So the USA should still be part of Britain?

No, because anything is valid if you win.

There is that as well. :P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2011, 02:32:47 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on May 01, 2011, 08:50:50 AM
This discussion seems so venomous, it pains me to read it. You gentlemen are associates of the same forum- please don't be so pedantic and unpleasant to each other. It's a bit wearying- and as such i've bowed out of the conversation, until now, only to say that it really doesn't seem befitting for anyone to do.

I know grumbler has that reputation, but does anyone really enjoy this sort of thing? I think I used to, but I can't be sure.
:lol:  Irony isn't just the opposite of wrinkly.
I'm not sure that you actually know what the word 'irony' means.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on May 02, 2011, 08:41:21 AM
There are a great many things that you rightfully should not be sure about.  If that is one, then I can certainly live with that.  It is only important that I am sure that I know.  :hug:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 02, 2011, 10:55:59 AM
It is only important that I am sure that I know.  :hug:

Sounds like something Raz might say.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2011, 11:04:23 AM

Patton, Grumbler and I are of one mind.  Hopefully with enough treatment I can whittle it down to just me with that mind.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Raz would have left a random word out.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 02, 2011, 11:10:28 AM
I bow to your superior expertise on the topic.  :cool:

I wasn't in a psychiatry club in college though. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 30, 2011, 12:10:04 AM
The corollary to my point is Puerto Rico - do they have the right to demand independence?  Votes on the topic have been allowed.

They should either be given independence or join as a full state.  I am not particularly fond of different rules for different people inside the same country.  Everybody should be equal.  Hopefully the days of 'territories' and 'Commonwealths' and such measures will soon be over.  They may have been a necessary measure during the frontier days but no longer.  This is my opinion on all the remaining (inhabited) special territories the US.  But this has nothing to do with something as disgusting as the rights of peoples to have a state.  It is simply the best way to handle these territories.

Puerto Rico has never demanded independence btw.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

You've bitched about almost every new independent state since the creation of languish though.

Only the ones that have been created thanks to nationalist movements either provoking violence or commiting it themselves for that purpose.  But nationalist groups merely stirring up hatred for other groups and creating myths of persecution by others to achieve political action is also something I regard as contemptible and worthy of my scorn.

And rightfully so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

Quote from: Neil on May 02, 2011, 08:41:21 AM
There are a great many things that you rightfully should not be sure about.  If that is one, then I can certainly live with that.  It is only important that I am sure that I know.  :hug:
Then you are misusing the word.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2011, 11:21:44 AM
The corollary to my point is Puerto Rico - do they have the right to demand independence?  Votes on the topic have been allowed.

They should either be given independence or join as a full state.  I am not particularly fond of different rules for different people inside the same country.  Everybody should be equal.  Hopefully the days of 'territories' and 'Commonwealths' and such measures will soon be over.  They may have been a necessary measure during the frontier days but no longer.  This is my opinion on all the remaining (inhabited) special territories the US.  But this has nothing to do with something as disgusting as the rights of peoples to have a state.  It is simply the best way to handle these territories.

Puerto Rico has never demanded independence btw.

Puerto Rico votes on independence every once in a while.  It never gets much of a vote.  While the US has not said that the votes carry the power of law, I imagine if they want to leave the US would let them.  There's not much of a reason to want to keep them.

I would argue that Puerto Rico, being culturally and linguistically distinct from the US is a separate nation.  Unlike the South which is not.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2011, 11:38:56 AM
Puerto Rico votes on independence every once in a while.  It never gets much of a vote.  While the US has not said that the votes carry the power of law, I imagine if they want to leave the US would let them.  There's not much of a reason to want to keep them.

I would argue that Puerto Rico, being culturally and linguistically distinct from the US is a separate nation.  Unlike the South which is not.

Eh so was Louisiana and I do not see any particular reason why cultural and linguistic differences cannot exist in the same nation particularly in ours which has no official language.

In any case I know they have votes from time to time but they have been not just votes on indepence but on the status of Puerto Rico in general.  They probably would be a state already if they had not given the Ricans a chance to 'no-vote' in the last election.  Naturally I would want a vote that simply says 'Join the Union or Become Independent?'  Join the Union would win in a landslide IMO but I am not in charge :P

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2011, 11:51:16 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2011, 11:38:56 AM

Eh so was Louisiana and I do not see any particular reason why cultural and linguistic differences cannot exist in the same nation particularly in ours which has no official language.

In any case I know they have votes from time to time but they have been not just votes on indepence but on the status of Puerto Rico in general.  They probably would be a state already if they had not given the Ricans a chance to 'no-vote' in the last election.  Naturally I would want a vote that simply says 'Join the Union or Become Independent?'  Join the Union would win in a landslide IMO but I am not in charge :P

I'm not saying that being a different nation means you have to become independent.  I'm saying it would give you a legitimate reason to do so.  Puerto Ricans have little interest in leaving.  As a separate nation and as a territory they should have the power to do so.  Whether they want to exercise this power is up to them.

The Issues with Indian tribes is a bit more problematic, though most of those have a degree of autonomy.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2011, 12:00:16 PM
I'm not saying that being a different nation means you have to become independent.  I'm saying it would give you a legitimate reason to do so.  Puerto Ricans have little interest in leaving.  As a separate nation and as a territory they should have the power to do so.  Whether they want to exercise this power is up to them.

Eh even if they were a bunch of California valley girls living on that island their independence would be no less legitimate.  They are not fully part of the United States ;)

QuoteThe Issues with Indian tribes is a bit more problematic, though most of those have a degree of autonomy.

There is nothing particularly problematic about them.  We should respect our treaties with them so long as they want us to do so and make sure they have full equal rights with everybody else.