Started by Savonarola, April 28, 2011, 01:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I heard he had to because he couldn't supply a birth certificate.   :(

QuoteSuperman Renounces His Citizenship in 900th Issue
By Hollie McKay

The 900th Issue of Action Comics
Superman is no longer an American.

In "Action Comics'" new record-breaking 900th issue,  the fictional iconic superhero renounces his U.S citizenship following a clash with the federal government.

The Man of Steel, created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster in 1938, has always been recognized as a devoted American warrior who constantly fought evil, but as of Thursday, he is no longer the country's own to claim.

No word yet if Superman will change his red and blue suit, or his longtime motto "truth, justice and the American way" - but the landmark issue is certainly sparking controversy.

"Besides being riddled with a blatant lack of patriotism, and respect for our country, Superman's current creators are belittling the United States as a whole. By denouncing his citizenship, Superman becomes an eery metaphor for the current economic and power status the country holds worldwide," Hollywood publicist and GOP activist Angie Meyer told FOX411's Pop Tarts column.

But not everyone is outraged by Superman's citizenship surrender.

"Superman has always been bigger than the United States. In an age rife with immigration paranoia, it's refreshing to see an alien refugee tell the United States that it's as important to him as any other country on Earth — which in turn is as important to Superman as any other planet in the multiverse," wrote Wired blogger Scott Thill.

"The genius of Superman is that he belongs to everyone, for the dual purposes of peace and protection. He's above ephemeral geopolitics and nationalist concerns, a universal agent unlike any other found in pop culture."

This is indeed an eery metaphor.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

KRonn

Quote from: Savonarola on April 28, 2011, 01:04:54 PM
I heard he had to because he couldn't supply a birth certificate.   :(

I'm sure the White House printing press could have come up with a birth certificate for Superman!   ;)

Syt

I thought Superman was Nicholas Cage's son?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_cage#Relationships_and_family
QuoteHis third and current wife Alice Kim, a former waitress who previously worked at the Los Angeles restaurant Kabuki, met Cage at the Los Angeles-based Korean nightclub, Le Privé. She is the mother of his son, Kal-El (born October 3, 2005)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Camerus

In the 901st issue, Superman will become a vegan, start a compost bin, and save Michael Moore from a burning building.

grumbler

I think that this is an interesting move for the authors to make, but wonder if it won't harm their sales in the long run (Superman fans being devoted to tradition, I would think).  It could be just a temporary thing designed to spark controversy and sales, as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Btw, how did Supie come about the U.S. citizenship? Was it officially awarded at some point? For that matter, how does Clark Kent prove his citizenship?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on April 28, 2011, 01:56:26 PM
Btw, how did Supie come about the U.S. citizenship? Was it officially awarded at some point? For that matter, how does Clark Kent prove his citizenship?

If you can get a passport without a birth certificate, you can probably be considered a citizen.

http://studenttravel.about.com/od/planyourtrip/f/nocertificate.htm

Oh and in the Smallville continuity, I think Sups had falsified adoption records and birth certificate.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2011, 01:54:40 PM
I think that this is an interesting move for the authors to make, but wonder if it won't harm their sales in the long run (Superman fans being devoted to tradition, I would think).  It could be just a temporary thing designed to spark controversy and sales, as well.

I am almost certain it will be part of some kind of story arc, and not a permanent change.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on April 28, 2011, 02:03:46 PM
Oh and in the Smallville continuity, I think Sups had falsified adoption records and birth certificate.

:lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on April 28, 2011, 01:56:26 PM

Well, if Superman was in his late 20's early 30's in 1938 then it would be no problem.  It wasn't uncommon to give birth in your home especially in rural areas at the time.  You could probably just inform the local officials and pass it off as your own. In modern times it's a bit more difficult.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Sorry Supes, but the US government doesn't recognize attempts to renounce citizenship by its citizens. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Syt on April 28, 2011, 02:06:36 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 28, 2011, 02:03:46 PM

:lol:

:goodboy:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

What a puss.
Why would anybody not want to be an american?
Afraid of the wars?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son